IGNORED

Help CA Find New Speakers

On 8/6/2018 at 9:19 PM, Blake said:

Sorry, this is not true. 

Kevin's roles/title may have changed over the last couple of years to focus less on design, but he was absolutely part of the design team that designed the Salons mentioned in this thread and other Revel speakers (they use a "team approach" at Revel for design since they have so many resources).  

https://www.stereophile.com/interviews/608kev/index.html

https://www.stereophile.com/content/revel-salon-loudspeaker-visit-revel-factory

Kevin was Chief Engineer at Revel when the company was started:

https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/89/index.html

And if you want to go back further in history he was an instrumental part of Snell Loudspeaker Co. in it's heyday.   I own a 20 or more year old set of Snell C/V's that still serve me well in my family room setup.   They cost around $2100/pair back then and still hold their own against modern speakers costing much more. 

My top pics would be

Magico (relatively easy to place)

Raidho

Blumenhofer

YG

Wilson

But it depends a lot on the room, amps etc. I love Blumenhofer speakers maybe more then Raidho. But I could not get the Blumonhofers to sound right in my room with my amp. So I bought Raidho speakers that worked a lot better in my living room with my electronics.

Don't buy without testing in your own room.

[br]

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:32 AM, semente said:

I have never listened to them but from looking at the topology I would think from theory and experience that a speaker with such small drivers in such a small cabinet would not be able to compete with a large full-range speaker with large drivers.

Their performance is probably enough for but all but the most demanding audiophiles or some crazy bass-heads...

I don't care for pop and wouldn't use it for assessment anyway.

Two of the test tracks tha I have been using for evaluting bottom end performance are the Mravinsky/DG "Scherzo" from Tchaikovsky's 4th (a symphony I've listened to live) and Ron Carter's "Saguaro". They're ripe with timbral diversity, dynamic amplitude and loe-level detail, pizzicato/plucked and legatto/bowed playing. 

Mravinsky/DG "Scherzo" from Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony. Is this the CD (CD1 track 3)?

Ron Carter's "Saguaro" track #1?

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes!

I have a short list. Down to three speakers. More to come. 

Plus, I need to sell my TAD CR1s. It makes writing that big check a bit easier :~)

And those are?  You might want to list the TAD's on this place called Superphonica.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes!

I have a short list. Down to three speakers. More to come. 

Plus, I need to sell my TAD CR1s. It makes writing that big check a bit easier :~)

I can't imagine you will have a problem selling the TADs. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It's easiest for me to place the gear between the speakers, but I don't want to ruin the imaging by placing the gear higher off the floor. Thus, I purchased granite slabs for the gear. 

I'm sure you know about these too.  ?  You can put these on your granite as they can do pockets for the Isoacoustics Pucks too.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It's easiest for me to place the gear between the speakers, but I don't want to ruin the imaging by placing the gear higher off the floor. Thus, I purchased granite slabs for the gear. 

Okay it’s because it sounds better to you, then you can go on and call yourself an audiophile ?

15 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

I'm sure you know about these too.  ?  You can put these on your granite as they can do pockets for the Isoacoustics Pucks too.  

I used to have a site bookmarked that sold tons of wood stuff for HiFi. The guy hand made it all with a beautiful selection of woods. 

Do you know any others that sell this stuff? I can't find my old bookmark :~(

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I used to have a site bookmarked that sold tons of wood stuff for HiFi. The guy hand made it all with a beautiful selection of woods. 

I have one of these.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There’s Mapleshade and Oswalds Mill Audio, but I don’t know if either is what you’re looking for.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

IKEA Aptitilig for me at work.

4" thick beautiful Mapleshade Maple platforms at home (and hey, by doing so I support the Amish!): http://www.mapleshadestore.com/airdriedmapleplatforms.php

By the way, let's guess what Chris' 3 finalists are (winner gets a selection of 6 TAS old issues from 2014, utterly useless). 

My bet for the 3 contenders are:  Rockport, Tidal or Bose

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC