IGNORED

Article: Aurender S5W True Wireless Speaker Review

11 minutes ago, coleb13 said:

What's the signal range like? Is it like bluetooth or more like wi-fi? If you left the USB wireless adapter behind and took the speakers into another room would the music keep playing?

It's so much better than Bluetooth and more like WiFi. I started music in my office downstairs and I walked up stairs with my iPhone, around the main floor of the house, without any dropouts. Our house was built in the 40s and has very solid construction. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

@The Computer Audiophile - great review! This is a fascinating product and so smartly designed.

Two questions, Chris if you don't mind - one a clarification question and the other a speculative one:

1. Do I understand correctly that the only way to stream to these speakers from a handheld device like a phone or tablet is to physically connect the Aurender USB dongle to the mobile device? In other words, as per your review, one would have to walk around with a lightning to USB adapter and the USB dongle hanging out of one's iPhone?
  2. To ask the inevitable question, and understanding that they are not exactly the same kind of product, how would you compare the sonics of these to the KEF LS50W?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

58 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

@The Computer Audiophile - great review! This is a fascinating product and so smartly designed.

Two questions, Chris if you don't mind - one a clarification question and the other a speculative one:

1. Do I understand correctly that the only way to stream to these speakers from a handheld device like a phone or tablet is to physically connect the Aurender USB dongle to the mobile device? In other words, as per your review, one would have to walk around with a lightning to USB adapter and the USB dongle hanging out of one's iPhone?
  2. To ask the inevitable question, and understanding that they are not exactly the same kind of product, how would you compare the sonics of these to the KEF LS50W?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Thanks for the kind words. I’m happy you see the product much the same way I do. It’s really cool. There’s nothing like it that I know of. 

1. Yes. The adapter must be connected to the source. That said, there are many ways to use one’s phone as a remote control type device and connect the adapter to something else. For example, connect the adapter to an Aurender server and use an iPad free and clear. Connect the adapter to a DLNA renderer like a microRendu and use any source on earth and control with your phone. Many options. 

2. That’s a tough one. I honestly don’t know without sitting both speakers side by side. And, I don’t have the KEFs here. But, as you know these speakers are a completely different animal. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, mrvco said:

Interesting design decision to require a dongle rather than connect directly to WiFi.  A pair of desktop ‘home’ stands with wireless charging capability would be a nice bonus.

I think once you add standard WiFi the battery life changes and ease of use goes down. Not saying it would be bad but it’s really cool to just connect the dongle and hit play. 

I wonder if the dongle would work off of a DAP?  I have a Sony NWZX2 and adapters galore with unlimited music via micro-SD cards.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

4.3 or something.  Sony:  “If it works, no update required.”

Yes, I have connected an SMSL, Topping, and Fiio DACs via an OTG cable.  Also have a couple of iFi DACs I have not had time to try.  Oh and a Sony PHA3.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

10 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

4.3 or something.  Sony:  “If it works, no update required.”

Yes, I have connected an SMSL, Topping, and Fiio DACs via an OTG cable.  Also have a couple of iFi DACs I have not had time to try.  Oh and a Sony PHA3.

If it works with those DACs I’d bet it works with the Aurender USB adapter. 

Please ask Aurender to license the tech to other speaker manufacturers because I want floorstanders! ?

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

I keep hoping for great truly wireless speakers that I can use as my rear speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. I got the front wall problem dealt with when we built our current place, but not the rears, so they're running off of under-rug speaker cables that annoy my wife (and startle barefoot guests.) 

The other "truly wireless" speaker application I've been searching for is outdoor speakers. 

Thanks. I'm looking for something stereo that lives out on the deck, that I can get running in sync with the indoor system via Roon, since our outdoor area tends to be used fluidly with indoors. Lots of bluetooth wireless outdoor speakers, battery and otherwise. I'm less worried about battery power (whoever built my place put four AC outlets on the deck) than avoiding some weird speaker wire run.

I've got a couple different portable sound alternatives. My favorite is an old Bluetooth surface transducer (BassEgg) that turns a teak side table on our deck into a very entertaining speaker with great bass.