IGNORED

Which OS are you using?

IME 7 is better than 8 but check on how much longer 7 will be supported.  The program will work but security features will stop being updated.  Maybe time to move to 10.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

6 hours ago, STC said:

Go for windows10. I have Windows7, 8.1 and 10. I prefer 10. 

I wouldn't recommend that willy-nilly. I have a Toshiba Satellite that came with Windows 7. It worked fine (for a Windows computer). When MS offered a free upgrade to Win 10, I took the plunge. Not only is Win 10 less intuitive and more arcane than Win 7 (another discussion for another time) It is now slower than molasses in January at the North Pole! 

Basically, I wouldn't recommend that anybody upgrade to Win 10 unless your computer has at least a 2.3 GigaHz G5 processor with 4 gigs of DRAM fitted. I was using my Celeron powered Toshiba as my audio computer, connected via USB to my DAC. After installing Win 10 and noticing it's severely reduced performance, I replaced it in my stereo system with a slightly used MacBook Pro loaded with 8 Gigs of DRAM, and I replaced the 230 gigabyte HDD with a 1 TB SSD running OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan). It's fast, responsive, and easy to navigate. The Toshiba? It's sitting on the lower shelf of a book case, unused.  

George

Windows 10 is generally considered the OS of choice for audiophiles. That’s NOT to say many others haven’t got great results from OSX, Linux, Windows Server, and Windows 7. There’s a lot of tweaking that can be done to improve SQ but at a baseline level you just want to make sure your OS allows for bit -perfect streaming.

4 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Windows 10 is generally considered the OS of choice for audiophiles. That’s NOT to say many others haven’t got great results from OSX, Linux, Windows Server, and Windows 7. There’s a lot of tweaking that can be done to improve SQ but at a baseline level you just want to make sure your OS allows for bit -perfect streaming.

Do you think his mother is an audiophile?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

14 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Do you think his mother is an audiophile?

Does being neuro-typical guarantee bit perfectness?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

14 hours ago, baskert said:

It happened on my mother's compute , it is running Win 10 , but she hasn't used her computer since she forgot her password, now ,she is going to reinstall OS , She doesn't know which OS works better for her , Windows 7 or Windows 8 ?

Mainstream support for Win 7 ended in 2015.  Extended support ends January 2020. 

Win 8.1 mainstream ended earlier this year with extended support to end 2023. 

As for answering your question, at different times I use Win 8.1, Win 10, Linux, OSX, and Android.  I don't really count Chrome OS. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

9 minutes ago, esldude said:

Does being neuro-typical guarantee bit perfectness?

Not sure but whatever he has appears to affect his reading comprehension.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

First I was quite happy with Win10, but now I'd say it is infested with problems. Win 7 works fine, but is a bit sluggish. Win 8.1 is strange beast, that has partially problems of both....

I prefer Linux, but so far I don't have too much to complain about macOS either (although Apple has bad habit of occasionally breaking existing applications in various ways).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 8/4/2018 at 8:36 AM, esldude said:

Mainstream support for Win 7 ended in 2015.  Extended support ends January 2020. 

Win 8.1 mainstream ended earlier this year with extended support to end 2023. 

As for answering your question, at different times I use Win 8.1, Win 10, Linux, OSX, and Android.  I don't really count Chrome OS. 

She only started using Windows 10 in 2016. She has always been optimistic about Windows 10, but after forgetting her password, she cannot continue working on Windows 10, At the same time, she wondered if she was right for Windows 10

On 8/4/2018 at 10:58 AM, Sal1950 said:

What type of computing does she do?  If it's just general email, web surfing, social media stuff, etc; any number of a few Linux distros will make a stellar replacement. PCLinuxOS, Mint, a few others will offer her stable, secure computing without all the constant nagging problems of Windoz.

I run PCLinuxOS here.

She's a freelance writer. She writes her novels on the computer.

5 minutes ago, baskert said:

I know Win 10 is great , because my computer is running Win 10 .

But I don't know how to help my mother get password back .

With due respect to your mum, I suggest that she recall all the passwords she used for other accounts. Once, I have forgotten the password to my NAS and it took me almost a month to crack it. Turned out to be one of the combination I am familiar with. Birthdates, marriage date, first date, pet’s name, son’s girlfriend name and etc etc. That’s the best option. The reason I am suggesting this numbers because I admin about 70 passwords for others and this is their most common ones. Try also favorite color, cars, movies, actors.