IGNORED

minidsp shd series

Anyone heard the minidsp shd? It does Dirac, has volume control, and accepts digital/analog inputs, has digital/analog outputs,  plus has a built in streamer. 

I'm not in the market, but it sounds like a nice unit for the price (under $1200). Would be a good centerpiece for a streaming system, without spending too much. 

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-series

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Based on features, this looks like a great unit. An excellent feature set at a lower than usual price for those features.  It would be great if US miniDSP dealers sold it, to make trying it a little simpler for those of us in the US.

Would anyone care to comment on how well miniDSP supports its products long-term?  For example, would we expect an update to Dirac for this?  Will the custom version of Volumio be updated regularly?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just received my MiniDSP SHD Studio. I have a quality network player but kept an eye on digital room correction for some time. The SHD Studio is a affordable and flexibel solution compared to buying an amp with room correction. 

Volumio is pre installed on the SHD Studio and recognised Minimstreamer on my NAS immediately. To my relief I can keep on using BubbleUpnp (Andriod) as control point. So no need to use Volumio interface or Volumio library function. 

If all goes as planned I will sell my USB network player. For the moment I have connected both. It's easy to compare the sound quality. Just need to switch inputs on the amp and switch the rendere in Bubbleupnp. Now I have to find the time to set up the room correction. That will take a few days. 

20 hours ago, Mike48 said:

impressions of sound quality and usability.

I am using Allo DS through to digital actives. The first impression (measurement/ target curve) is very impressive. More focused soundstage, sharper sound, tighter high end, more ring on cymbals etc. This may reflect tired speakers getting some botox. With the supplied PS, it was going back. The swap was crucial. It may also have revealed a driver problem in the speakers, which I can potentially fix. Meantime, really enjoying the better sound. Also looking forward to playing with the target curves. Using Roon as yet, haven't tried the supplied Volumio player.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got an SHD for our small TV-based 2.0 system (I can't call it a home theater). It is easy to use, does what we want it to, and sounds very good to me. The Dirac corrections made a huge difference in the sound, as one of the speakers is just a few inches from a wall.

It also allows us to stream music from our DLNA-based server on this system with considerably better fidelity than we got from a Raspberry Pi with HiFiBerry DAC card.  Also, of, course, hugely better fidelity than using the DAC in the TV.

I'm quite pleased with the purchase.