IGNORED

New HDPLEX 200W LPS

HPLEX has posted design diagrams for all 4 rails on the Specs tab.  If you know your way around such documentation, I'd love to hear your observations.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 hours ago, zackthedog said:

I take it that the added LT30451's are an improvement over the former design?

That's right, likely a significant one.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

8 hours ago, wanta911 said:

I guess with the Uptone LPS 1.2 I would have to use the 12v or 19v outlets as the variable outlets max out at 2 amps so don't get to 36w?

The LPS-1.2 charger has a strict requirement for 36W, so you're right.  

• 4 weeks later...

The new 200W LPS will be open for pre-orders shortly.  Clearly, the August 5 date (mentioned in my OP) that was once posted on the HDPLEX website was premature.

28 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

< 1 mV ripple or.. < 3 mV ripple; no crosstalk between "channels"; no RF/EMI...

what other things would we want to know about a PS?

If they are using a single transformer there will always be a degree of interaction between components powered from different secondary windings, compared with separate transformers, even when the windings are used well within their current limits, possibly due to capacitive coupling to mains earth ?

I found this when using a transformer with separate secondary windings for powering 2 USB devices.

The performance was degraded compared with using 2 separate transformers and Linear PSUs.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hmmm....that's not good.

I have two of the original units and yes one of them had the issue where I had to re-solder both of the connectors, which was annoying and obviously not a very good design as they broke very quickly and easily. I do note however that he has rectified this with all XLR connectors.

These days the units I own only do single 12v duty on my NAS and router but have worked flawlessly, the router unit hardly gets above ambient temperature and the one powering the NAS is warm to touch but nowhere near hot.

I would hope that Larry has addressed all of the previous issues in the new product.

I have one of the soon to be replaced 200 watt supplies and it has worked fine for me. 

The only issue was in my understanding that if they changed one of the 5V XLR outputs to 9V that it would also change the usb to 9V.

Raspberry Pis make noise and smoke when fed 9V. Don't try this at home.  HDPlex offered to pay for the replacement but I declined, only requesting that they make sure customers know that the USB is linked to one of the main outputs.

I power a Brooklyn DAC+, ethernet switch, iFi Nano USB thingy (which in turn feeds a Raspberry Pi), and Minix Neo fanless PC. Removed 5 switchers from the system and I still have the 9V USB out if I need...

• 4 weeks later...

Pre-order is now open for those interested.  USA Stock ETA Oct 20th. Germany Stock ETA Oct 25th.

I currently have three of the newer HDPlex models. Two for my speaker system and one for my headphone system. My first 100w unit had physical hum. Larry replaced it immediately.

Larry is very responsible and seems to be always upgrading his product to improve the tech and to correct issues. I do not think that one can compare his earlier models with the current ones. My three current 200w LPS's have been perfectly reliable.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

6 minutes ago, oneguy said:

Why is the ripple voltage so high at 1 millivolt when a sigma11 LPS is around 10 microvolts. Is there something I am missing?

Good question.  Can you please provide a link to your referenced 10 microvolt measurement on a sigma11 LPS?

12 minutes ago, rickca said:

Good question. Can you please provide a link to your referenced 10 microvolt measurement on a sigma11 LPS?

From memory this eBay listing references 10 microvolts and a quick google search found someone else referencing 12 microvolts in the second post on this page. 

Both of these could very well be erroneous. Your thoughts?

8 minutes ago, oneguy said:

Your thoughts?

I would want to make sure that we're talking about an actual measurement (not something off a spec sheet) and that we're measuring exactly the same thing so that the results are comparable.  

4 minutes ago, rickca said:

I would want to make sure that we're talking about an actual measurement (not something off a spec sheet) and that we're measuring exactly the same thing so that the results are comparable.  

I think the only way to accomplish this is a side-by-side test using the same methods since as far as I know there is no standard of testing methods. I don’t believe anyone has done this yet especially because the new HDPLEX LPSU hasn’t been released. 

It's easy to get confused about what is being measured.

For example, iFi says the following about their iPower

Measured on the Audio Precision 2, the iPower has an astonishingly low audio band noise floor of just 1uV! 

Your ebay listing says

Ripple Coefficient: AP Test HIFI Audio Band 20HZ-20KHZ, 10UV level ( without the influence of wires)

Are iFi and the ebay listing are measuring the same thing?  I don't know.  But I doubt these results are directly comparable to those in the HDPLEX video.

If we're going to have a detailed discussion about such measurements, let's start another thread.  I'd like to keep this one focused on the new HDPLEX 200W LPS without getting too far into the weeds.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 11:37 PM, wanta911 said:

Looks good. I have 2 of the older 100w models that I use on my NAS & Router.

I guess with the Uptone LPS 1.2 I would have to use the 12v or 19v outlets as the variable outlets max out at 2 amps so don't get to 36w?

I had an older non-adjustable HEPlex unit that fried my Uptone LPS-1.  Uptone inspected and confirm that due to the HDPlex not having OC/OV protection it took out several components in the Ultracap LPS-1.  This is a known issue with the HDPlex. I got rid of the HDPlex and bought a new Ultracap-LPS-2.  I do look forward to the new 200W version as it does have OC/OV protection and safe to use.

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

• 4 weeks later...