IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

Hi @David Craff

If I am on the HiFi CD Quality Qobuz plan, for a 24bit/192kHz album on Qobuz:

1. Am I streaming the CD quality version (16/44) that Qobuz has down-sampled?

or

2. Am I streaming the CD quality version which the record label has provided to Qobuz?

Or does it depend on album - some albums have been down-sampled by Qobuz and some albums, the label provides the CD quality version?

56 minutes ago, David Craff said:

Hi,

1. Always prefer (use) the label-supplied version, if available, for a given sample rate
    • exception - MP3 is always generated by you from the CD version (which in turn could be label-supplied, or generated by you from high-res)
  2. Never upsample
  3. Fill in gaps at lower sample rates by down converting.
  4. Conversions done with dBpoweramp.

Thanks David. Happy with that.

Hello,

I'm currently nearing the end a three-month trial here in NY, and, I've had folks over on the Roon forums trying to help me out over some issues with Qobuz that have been driving me crazy since the free period began back in September.  Thankfully, a kind soul over there sent me here , optimistic that you might help me get to the bottom of this.

I simply cant seem to ever start up the Qobuz app on my Windows 10 PC without the whole endeavor feeling extremely sluggish, with both mouse clicks and typing input simply failing to register nine times out of ten.  It's almost as though the entire interface were frozen.

My main issues seem to revolve around actually interacting with the UI (ie. clicks, scrolls, selecting menu items, etc.) It is excruciatingly slow, oftentimes, as I've said, not registering any input at all. Heaven forbid I should actually try to play anything! I’m lucky if I’ve gotten to hear more than three or four songs in a given week since my trial began back in September.

In terms of a PC, I’ve got a low-voltage Core i5, 16 gb of RAM, an SSD, and a circa 2015 mid-range mobile graphics card, an NVidia 860M.  I have had no issues whatsoever running the machine as my main Roon core, Tidal, the FIFA games, or anything else.

My trial ends in a few weeks, on the 21st of December, but, truthfully, at this point, I just want to discover a resolution, if only for my own curiosity.  Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

11 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

Seems really weird.  Qobuz desktop isn't that resource intensive.  If you can run Roon core, you shouldn't have any problems with Qobuz.  Have you tried reinstalling it?  Are you sure there isn't something else running that's hogging resources?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Hi Rickca.  Thanks for the prompt reply.  I've installed and re-installed countless times over the past three months, to no avail.

Granted, the PC is both my main work PC and my Roon core (I know), but, I leave Roon running constantly, my PC is on twenty-four hours a day, and I'm typically in front of it either working or messing around literally twelve to eighteen hours a day, with very few issues whatsoever.  It is solely this app, unfortunately.

@left channel I've been wondering if it's possible that it is because I’m a US-based user, located in NY, who should not be using it right now and who happened to get slightly lucky by getting a code.  I was telling the Roon folks that perhaps I'm being "punished" in some way for having access.  I'm joking, obviously.  There are plenty of US-based users on a trial right now.

Also, Qobuz has, in the past, permitted users across the pond like me to use their service simply by e-mailing the customer service department. It was maybe about three or so years ago that they stopped providing new accounts in this fashion, though, to my knowledge, anyone who was previously provided an account can still use it.

Hello @David Craff, thank you for your prompt reply.

The same thing occurred to me early on in the trial.  I have found that I occasionally have slightly better luck running as Admin, but, that would be the times I would launch it where I would get to hear maybe one full song instead of zero.

I would just like to confirm that there is no issue with the fact that I'm accessing the UK service from the US, please.

@oneway23, you mentioned that you always have Roon Core running at the same time as Qobuz.  Does Roon Core have exclusive control of the DAC when it is running?  I am wondering if the two apps are fighting each other for the same resource and since Roon is most likely starting before Qobuz, Qobuz loses that fight majority of the time.

It might be worth it to stop Roon core and starting Qobuz after the core is stopped and see if that helps.

1 hour ago, shadowlight said:

@oneway23, you mentioned that you always have Roon Core running at the same time as Qobuz.  Does Roon Core have exclusive control of the DAC when it is running?  I am wondering if the two apps are fighting each other for the same resource and since Roon is most likely starting before Qobuz, Qobuz loses that fight majority of the time.

It might be worth it to stop Roon core and starting Qobuz after the core is stopped and see if that helps.

Hey again, Shadow!  Are you following me across the internet? ?  Shadow is the wonderful person from the Roon forum who suggested that I re-engage with you fine folk!  Roon does have exclusive control, yes, however, I have ABSOLUTELY tried, countless times, in fact, to run Qobuz on its own, to no avail.

Hi Chris @The Computer Audiophile!!  Long time, no see.  Always nice to see you in a thread...Kindred Pearl Jam aficionados, we two!

1 hour ago, oneway23 said:

Yes, David has been a rockstar in support so far!  I am confident that we will get there..thanks!

Please let us know what you find. I am also US-based, and run the Qobuz app on both Win10 and MacOS.

No question - the W10 version is sluggish! Luckily I don't use it for actual playback. I just use it to find an album, mark it as a favorite, and then go to my actual player (Qobuz plugin in LMS) to retrieve it from the favorites.

I will on occasion  just try to play a song from the album on the internal speakers in my W10 laptop, usually to confirm that an album marked Hi-Res truly has Hi-Res streaming. This playback can be sluggish. And often the song will hang after 6-10 seconds. I'll try running as Administrator.

Finally - interaction with Roon. Yes, the problem gets even worse if my Roon app is open at the same time. I do not have any local devices enabled in Roon - using it strictly as a Control app for a Core that is elsewhere. Shutting down Roon and restarting Qobuz is definitely helpful.

If you're actually using Qobuz on W10 for playback - ouch, my sympathies.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

the W10 version is sluggish!

I have never found the Qobuz desktop app on Windows 10 sluggish on my i7-6700K PC.  I live in the USA and subscribe to Qobuz in France.  I don't know if that makes a difference.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, rickca said:

I have never found the Qobuz desktop app on Windows 10 sluggish on my i7-6700K PC.  I live in the USA and subscribe to Qobuz in France.  I don't know if that makes a difference.

That is weird indeed. My system is not too shabby either: i7-4712HQ quad core with 16GB.

My society subscription is UK-based. Oh well - it's more an irritant for me, not a showstopper. 

I don't have this issue on iOS or MacOS, so I use those platforms to interact with Qobuz primarily.

@David Craff Hopefully the closed beta is going well. I was heartened to see this enacted before entering the market.  All too often NA is sold big promises on a scheme designed to hype consumers into doing QA. That on unfinished products resembles data mining and predatory investment with no intent towards creating anything. My sole opinion is pushing past the largest gift giving holiday before announcing the launch is a welcome sign of maturity and solid belief in value of the service you provide. 

Wishing you and the Qobuz teams on both continents a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.