IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

36 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

Has it been mentioned here before but what will be the pricing tiers here in the US?

According to Sound & Vision who appear to have visited the Qobuz booth at CES, the pricing will be the same in the US vs the UK/EU, but in dollars instead of pounds/euros. In other words:

• Premium (MP3 320 kbps), $9.99/month or $99.99/year.
  • Hi-Fi (16-bit/44.1 kHz), $19.99/month or $199.99/year.
  • Sublime (Hi-Fi + downloads of Hi-Res 24-bit at MP3 prices), $219.99/year.
  • Sublime+ (Hi-Res 24-bit FLAC up to 192 kHz + up to 60% discount on a large part of the download catalog), $349.99/year.

The discounts for buying hi-res downloads in the Sublime tiers is pretty worthwhile. You can make up the extra charge with  a relatively modest number of download purchases. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 minutes ago, mulberry bush said:

But if you can stream in hi-res, why would you need/want to download anything?

There could be change in licensing agreement, where album available today for stream is no longer available tomorrow.  If you listen to the album you can purchase it at discounted pricing with out having to worry about it missing in the future.

4 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

There could be change in licensing agreement

Well I've used Qobuz streaming, very happily, for the last four years.    One or two labels were not available for streaming during their ownership transition, other than that I've had no problems.   Never felt the need to download anything.

35 minutes ago, mulberry bush said:

Well I've used Qobuz streaming, very happily, for the last four years.    One or two labels were not available for streaming during their ownership transition, other than that I've had no problems.   Never felt the need to download anything.

It is different for different albums and in different countries. Other users may have had more issues than you. 

Personally, I buy the albums I like the most. That way I know I have them for sure. The artist royalties if you buy the album are orders of magnitude greater than if you stream, so it is also a way of making sure artists you like are properly compensated.  The difference in compensation for the artist between purchase and steaming of an album can be  on the level  of hundreds of times more. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I guess it is a mindset thing.     I feel that if anything goes seriously wrong I still have my (embarrassingly) large CD collection to fall back on.    Although, it’s far more likely to fall back on me!!!

The artist royalty disparity is a separate issue that does need to be sorted out.   I might stream an album I really like, say 20 times a year (not 100 granted).    So in five years it may equal out.    But I agree, as we move to a largely streaming environment the artists must not loose out in the process.

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

??

Now I can listen to Podger with my porridge!

Spoke too soon - the porridge is a bit lumpy. I.e. the Channel Classics albums only stream at 16/44.1. Let's hope this is temporary. Until the US launch is official, I plan to give Qobuz a pass while they sort things out.

Here's another glitch: https://open.qobuz.com/album/3760009293281

Only the first track - Verklärte Nacht - is a sample MP3, the rest are at full hi-res. I've seen this at the album level, but not at the track level before.

17 minutes ago, David Craff said:

Our product is good but not perfect and I think the American market is more demanding than the European market. So if it were up to me, I would postpone the release in the USA even more. But I only have the product vision and not business, so it won't depend on me alone.

It does not change the fact that the product is working and that everything necessary will be done to improve it further.

I've been using Qobuz in a variety of configurations during the last month or so;   Chromecast Audio,  Airplay to Raspberry,  IOS native,   MacOSX, Web App.   I've also used it mobile in the car via Bluetooth and am very happy to report that not only are the apps refined and extremely functional they are also easy to use.   The service seems rock steady  and I've had no problem in daily use.   

I'm a Tidal and Deezer subscriber as well and I can say that when Qobuz formally launches in the US and is integrated with Roon I will be dropping my Tidal subscription.   Great job on the rollout and infrastructure Qobuz has developed in prep for launch.    

40 minutes ago, TAV said:

I've been using Qobuz in a variety of configurations during the last month or so;   Chromecast Audio,  Airplay to Raspberry,  IOS native,   MacOSX, Web App.   I've also used it mobile in the car via Bluetooth and am very happy to report that not only are the apps refined and extremely functional they are also easy to use.   The service seems rock steady  and I've had no problem in daily use.   

I'm a Tidal and Deezer subscriber as well and I can say that when Qobuz formally launches in the US and is integrated with Roon I will be dropping my Tidal subscription.   Great job on the rollout and infrastructure Qobuz has developed in prep for launch.    

Thanks, but we know that we have problem with DLNA, some issues.. Android app need to be realy improve. But all will come.

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

3 minutes ago, David Craff said:

Thanks, but we know that we have problem with DLNA, some issues.. Android app need to be realy improve. But all will come.

Curious what are the problems with DLNA?  Right now I'm listening to Qobuz using Audirvana Plus, SOTM-SMS200/MDP/DLNA,  Ayre QB9-DSD and not experiencing any issues.  

4 hours ago, TAV said:

Curious what are the problems with DLNA?  Right now I'm listening to Qobuz using Audirvana Plus, SOTM-SMS200/MDP/DLNA,  Ayre QB9-DSD and not experiencing any issues.  

The DLNA issue only exists with the Qobuz desktop application as far as I know and what I have experienced.  If I use Qobuz Desktop to stream to HQPlayer Embedded, only the first song plays and the rest show up as flac errors.  I have not spent any time trying to debug and collect logs for it yet to send into support.  I will probably wait until early Nov. before I collect debug logs.

I wish @Miska had access to Qobuz in Finland, so he could get a head start on testing DLNA integration :).