IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

20 hours ago, austinpop said:

Hi David,

Yes, I recognize this is a balancing act. Do you have a sense for how much of your customer base is (or will be) purchase-only? Compared to streaming-only and streaming+purchase? Since all the (Qo) buzz ;) in the media and audio press has been on the streaming service, I sorta assumed that was your primary customer set.

All that aside, this should be a non issue. Why not just enhance the display on the UI of the app? Take this example:

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 10.50.16 AM.png

Where it says: "Available in Hi-Res Audio," why not add a modifier like this:

1. for Purchase only
  2. for Streaming and Purchase
  3. for Streaming only - I doubt this is ever true, but included for completeness.

Your thoughts?

Hi,

It is not easy to compare customers on a subscription with customers on a purchase. This varies from one country to another but overall we are not far from a 50/50 ratio. Sometime a country have more streaming customers and another buyers customers.

Regarding your proposal on the display of hi-res information, this is a work in progress. We are updating our API to get this information and display it on our app.

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

19 hours ago, mourip said:

Thanks David. I figured it was something like that. As I was coincidentally installing it on my new OS I was a bit confused. Even a more informative popup message would have been better. Perhaps "Oops. Our server ate some bad hay"? 

"Error 500" could have meant anything and even consulting the Universal Source of Truth(Googling) did not help.

BTW. I would be interested in knowing how your business divides between streaming and purchases also. Having dipped my toe into the QB pool I feel very little inclination to buy files now. I hope to combine it with Roon for a One Stop Shop...

That all said I love Qobuz and am looking forward to it's release here in the US.

Best,

Paul

This error message must be update. I will do that.

40 minutes ago, mourip said:

More of a feature request than an issue: How about adding the ability to copy text into the search box by "right clicking". It does work with ctrl + V. Obviously not earth shaking or show stopper. Just a refinement.

While we are at it, how about a QB sponsored forum? Right now this thread has expanded a bit to enfold all things QB...

Hi,

I guess you're talking about a right click on a track. We already have actions on the right click. We can eventually look for one more option such as "search this track".  I will study this.

How does sponsored forum work ?

4 minutes ago, David Craff said:

Hi,

I guess you're talking about a right click on a track. We already have actions on the right click. We can eventually look for one more option such as "search this track".  I will study this.

How does sponsored forum work ?

Thanks for the reply. I was actually talking about the "Search" box in the upper right corner of the application that lets you find new/desired material. I often go the the thread here on CA where members post their musical favorites. It would be nice to be able to copy a composers/performers/conductors name and just right click inside the QB search box, get a context menu, and choose "paste". It does work with "CTRL + V" but the other method is a bit faster. This is a wish, not a need!

You would speak to Chris the CA admin/founder regarding starting a vendor supported forum.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

37 minutes ago, mourip said:

Thanks for the reply. I was actually talking about the "Search" box in the upper right corner of the application that lets you find new/desired material. I often go the the thread here on CA where members post their musical favorites. It would be nice to be able to copy a composers/performers/conductors name and just right click inside the QB search box, get a context menu, and choose "paste". It does work with "CTRL + V" but the other method is a bit faster. This is a wish, not a need!

You would speak to Chris the CA admin/founder regarding starting a vendor supported forum.

Ok I understand. We will add this.

3 hours ago, David Craff said:

Hi,

It is not easy to compare customers on a subscription with customers on a purchase. This varies from one country to another but overall we are not far from a 50/50 ratio. Sometime a country have more streaming customers and another buyers customers.

Regarding your proposal on the display of hi-res information, this is a work in progress. We are updating our API to get this information and display it on our app.

Wow, I’m surprised that ratio is so high! I'm assuming purchase customers would be those who registered on the site, but never subscribed to a streaming plan? I guess only a fraction of these ever make a purchase, and many are just dormant.

Anyway, that’s a moot point if we can get the hi-res display to be clear.

Regarding the API, thanks for looking into it. I hope you can make it happen.

On 9/6/2018 at 6:33 PM, David Craff said:

Hi,

Yes I'm from Qobuz.

You should add that to your handle displayed by your posts - just makes things more clear. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 9/17/2018 at 8:27 AM, David Craff said:

I have no preference, I try to find the best compromise for users. We may add this feature but we have to do it intelligently.

It should not be forgotten that Qobuz is also a platform for buying dematerialized music and that the rights to listen to an album are at the discretion of the rights holders (Label, Major, Artist...). We therefore have to juggle the expectations of our customers (with multiple profiles) and the issues related to this sector. 

Hi David - Yes, I think that obviously you want to satisfy people who want to purchase as well as those who want to stream.

My apologies that I didn't make clear what I meant, which is that *if* a particular hi res album is available for purchase but not for streaming, I (and I assume you :) ) would want the Qobuz UI to indicate that.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

My apologies that I didn't make clear what I meant, which is that *if* a particular hi res album is available for purchase but not for streaming, I (and I assume you :) ) would want the Qobuz UI to indicate that.

Or perhaps a filter criteria in the search Show All / Show Streamable?

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

For folks who are using Qobuz x64 desktop application under Windows can you check if you are seeing 3 Qobuz processes running under task manager or am I special that I get 3 processes :)

If yes, question for @David Craff and @David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist any particular reason there are multiple processes running?  The 3 processes are using close to ~280MB of memory and about 9% of CPU while idle and and about 11% CPU while playing on a i5-3570 CPU with 20GB of memory.  I am not worried about the memory but CPU usage seems to be bit high for a multi-use system.

Desktop version says 4.0.28-b015.

22 hours ago, Jud said:

Hi David - Yes, I think that obviously you want to satisfy people who want to purchase as well as those who want to stream.

As I answer before this display of Hi-Res button is in progress to differentiate Streaming with Download.

May not appear in the news release because the modification framework is closed.

2 hours ago, David Craff said:

3 Qobuz processes running is normal. One is for the User Interface, another for Electron the framework we use to develop this app and the last one is for the Auto Update.

The problem is not to have  3 Qobuz processes but the sum of this that used too many ressources.

On every release we try to improve performance of our application. Lot's of code are review fort that.

We have planned with the development team to take more time to optimize the application.  This is part of our objectives.

Thank you for the information.  It helps get a better understanding.  Is it possible to have the update process run just on startup and shutdown once it has confirmed that the update has completed?

5 hours ago, David Craff said:

As I answer before this display of Hi-Res button is in progress to differentiate Streaming with Download.

May not appear in the news release because the modification framework is closed.

"News release"? "Modification framework closed"?

Do I sniff an impending US go-live?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

14 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Thank you for the information.  It helps get a better understanding.  Is it possible to have the update process run just on startup and shutdown once it has confirmed that the update has completed?

Do you  mean auto-update of the application ?

11 hours ago, mourip said:

"News release"? "Modification framework closed"?

Do I sniff an impending US go-live?

I'm not sure about "Modification framework closed", sorry for my english.

For the Desktop & Web player we used agile framework for managing work like "Scrum".

All release are done in a "Sprint". All sprint include issues.  The Sprint is closed to be done in one month. We try to make a new release of the application every month.

So the next release of our application does not mean there will be launch in USA. Moreover, the launch in the USA will not require a new release. of the application

I'm not sure about "Modification framework closed", sorry for my english.

No, that was good, clear English, or at least as good as it gets when discussing "agile" development.  :)

(My company, as well as many, many other companies around the world now use this.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So the next release of our application does not mean there will be launch in USA. Moreover, the launch in the USA will not require a new release. of the application

That is more reassuring than you might appreciate to at least one of us who want Qobuz for Qobuz.  The catalog and sophisticated tastes it reflects, lack of spangles added to please every hard felt sentiment expressed, a proven solid platform that works perfectly well for most of the rest of the 1st world countries. 

I especially appreciate that you don't appear willing to be pushed into rushing the release.  Two months from now when "Indoor Sports Season" starts in earnest.  It might actually be a more appreciated development than it would beginning of next month when everyone is riddled with hype from the shot gun blasts of product release reporting.

Has it been mentioned here before but what will be the pricing tiers here in the US?

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.