IGNORED

Tracking Down the Right CD Sonically

When I do research on CDs (mainly "redbook" CDs) that I would like to have, the first thing I do is check out the "loudness wars database" and compare the DR values. I'll just use Sting's "The Dream of the Blue Turtles" for example (among many other examples). I looked up the DR values across a number of different CD versions of "Turtles". Then I try to match up things like ASIN's, UPC codes, manufacturer letters/numbers, things like that for when I go to, for example, Amazon.com. It seems like when I'm looking at Amazon and comparing the ASIN's, UPC's, etc., I can never seem to find a positive match for the CD version I want that has the best DR values. It's like running into a brick wall.

How do you all seem to succeed in finding the right CD with the best (or close to best) sonics? Can any of you help in making suggestions on how I can better navigate the "loudness wars database" in order for someone like me to get the right CD? Any help in my finding the right CD (sonically) with any better efficiency and success rate would be greatly appreciated.

I always go to Steve Hoffman’s forum to get opinions on the best CD mastering of a particular album I want to buy. The vast majority of the time this will be some old release that you cannot buy new anymore. I then look on eBay and Discogs to find the  specific CD I want. 

31 minutes ago, diecaster said:

I always go to Steve Hoffman’s forum to get opinions on the best CD mastering of a particular album I want to buy. The vast majority of the time this will be some old release that you cannot buy new anymore. I then look on eBay and Discogs to find the  specific CD I want. 

OK, I can try that.