vortecjr

Case in point about buying used gear

Rate this topic

I was recently contacted about a misbehaving Sonore Signature Rendu with i2s/SPDIF output. I though how odd considering that these are very stable units. After some trouble shooting the unit was sent in for a look see. Here is everything we found wrong with the unit:

1. Disassemble chassis, top cover and internal shield box, grinding off two of the button head bolts which were stripped.

2. Remove all PCBs, remove vinyl electrical tape from inside of back panel...apparently placed there to insulate the Ethernet outer shell from the chassis.

3. Remove reworked DC power wiring from the power supply board to the ABC board-this wiring was "soldered" by someone who should never be allowed to go near a PCB again, and this was the cause of the problem: the ground "connection" to the power supply was not.

4. Replace ground off screws, reinstall transformer shield with new screws.

5. Re-do nearly broken LED wiring to the PCB, discover damaged PCB trace, re solder LED wiring and reinforce with silicone adhere where PCB trace was damaged.

6. Replace the (damaged) ribbon cable between the main board and the output board.

This was my unit, & thank you Jesus for the speedy repair. I learned a good lesson on buying used. Luckily the seller was a stand up guy and took care of the repairs. Upon more in-depth questioning it turned out he was the second owner, was made aware of the “mods” but forgot. Jesus & Barrows to the rescue once again... 

On 7/24/2018 at 9:23 PM, huang said:

This was my unit, & thank you Jesus for the speedy repair. I learned a good lesson on buying used. Luckily the seller was a stand up guy and took care of the repairs. Upon more in-depth questioning it turned out he was the second owner, was made aware of the “mods” but forgot. Jesus & Barrows to the rescue once again... 

No worries...we are glad to help.