IGNORED

Windows Server 2016 GUI cannot switch to Core?

Hello, AudioPhil.  On my i7 server, I have been successfully using Roon with AO 2.10 in minimal server mode on Windows Server 2012R2.  For probably no really good reason, I decided to upgrade the server to Windows Server 2016 Standard with Desktop, so as to be able to use Roon with AO 2.20 in core mode.

I started by upgrading the WS2012R2 to WS2016.  It broke my JRiver installation, but that was easy to uninstall and reinstall and all is good there.

I downloaded the AO 2.20 version and installed in over my AO 2.10.  The install reported that the upgrade went fine and ST reports that I have version 2.20, as expected.

However, when I run AO and the computer reboots, it does so back into the GUI and when I then use ST to change the mode to core, it reboots again right back into the GUI.  And, if I then run ST another time and select to switch mode, it tells me that it will return my computer and drivers back to original state.  Running ST again and attempting to switch modes tells me that I've already switched.  I do note that in all cases, CMD's border is a dark blue -- not a light blue as I had with minimal core on 2012R2 or grey as I understand I should have for WS2016.

I was thinking that I should perhaps uninstall AO and ST completely and start over, but AO isn't a program in Control Panel to remove, so I'm not sure what to do.

As an aside, the GUI has the Highend logo and shows WS2012R2 in the lower right, even though right clicking on This PC shows me that, in fact, I am running WS2016 Standard.  I assume that is just because your GUI shell doesn't have a WS2016 update for it, yes?

Roon is working fine in the WS2016 GUI mode, but I'm missing out on all of the reasons that I switched over so as to be able to use core mode.

So, what am I doing wrong and how can I fix this?  Thanks for your help.  JCR

Oh my. I did not realize the manual had been updated to cover WS2016. There it is in bright red. 

This therefore raises three questions:

1. If I run the install of WS2016 over the current GUI installation of it, and select no GUI next time, can I expect it would remove the GUI?

If not, I did make a full bare metal image of my WS2012R2 server to my NAS using the WS2012R2 internal backup routine before starting the WS2016 installation and, if I can figure out how to use that image to replace the new WS2016 GUI version, I could start all over. (Maybe one of you can explain how I use the image to do this, if that’s the only way to get back to a core).

2. Is it worth doing anything or would you all just say that 2016 GUI is better than 2012R2 minimal core for Roon — and I should just quit, or does that defeat the whole purpose of AO?  Put another way, does AO do anything to the Windows processes in GUI mode?

3. How does one do program updates and other maintenance matters solely in command mode?  I was able to run programs in WS2012R2 minimal server mode, but would come out of that to GUI to do updates. For example, trying to update JRiver in minimal server mode always failed. Will I be unable to update things permanently? Or, do I run ST to roll drivers and processes back to standard and then there is a nice command line way to get to Control Panel, which I assume would be all I’d need?

I see I’ve gone deep down the rabbit hole once again here, so I will take all the help you all can offer up. Thanks. JCR 

@jrobbins50

If you don't feel comfortable using the command line only in W2016-core, I would advise you to keep using W2016-GUI, because it's sound quality is already better than W2012R2-core, as you can read in several posts in this forum. 

Updating W2016 in core-mode  is not straightforward. Also installing Roon-server in core may give problems (see the post in this forum from frederick184).  

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

• 1 month later...

There are two tricks I learned forum which are helpful when operating in WS2016 core.  First, install a freeware program called Q-Dir.

It provides an (enhanced) File Explorer that appears in GUI.  I find it indispensable.  Second, install a browser.  Both Chrome and Firefox offer an option to create what is referred to as a 

“portable” installation, which can be loaded onto a thumb drive and then loaded onto the core machine.

3 hours ago, ms012873 said:

There are two tricks I learned forum which are helpful when operating in WS2016 core.  First, install a freeware program called Q-Dir.

It provides an (enhanced) File Explorer that appears in GUI.  I find it indispensable.  Second, install a browser.  Both Chrome and Firefox offer an option to create what is referred to as a 

“portable” installation, which can be loaded onto a thumb drive and then loaded onto the core machine.

Absolutely great tools which make life in core mode a LOT easier! :)

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Ah, yes. Q-dir.exe is great for core — like a lightweight File Explorer. However, I was not able to load a browser when I tried, nor JRiver using portable installation. In the end, I’ve given up on WS2016 core entirely, as for reasons totally unclear, audio drivers loaded on my server simply do not function when in core. No audio device will appear in Device Manager and many have tried, but no one can come up with a solution. Maybe just a weird incompability between my motherboard and WS2016 core. With Desktop Experience, everything is perfect. Maybe I am missing the last ounce of sound quality as compared to core, but I’m no longer frustrated by an inability to play music!  JCR 

Sorry I couldn't help more.  JRiver has a portable install, also, if memory serves correctly.

I took me a many attempts and few months to get everything to load in Win 2016 Core and the experience was frustrating.  As I remember, at first I was trying to make the portable installations on a completely separate workstation and move them via a thumb drive to my music server running in Core.   That worked for some programs (I think Firefox portable), but not others (JRiver MC, I believe).  So...I loaded Windows Server 2016 GUI on the server, created all of my portable installs on it, moved them to a thumb drive, and then installed Win Server 2016 in Core on the music server (starting the install from scratch and completely overwriting the GUI installation) and transferred the portable edition of Firefox and JRiver MC to the core install via the thumb drives (somewhere in there I also loaded Q-Dir, too, but that might have been done via Firefox once I had its portable install operational on the Win 2016 Core). 

If I recall (no promises here--it has been many, many months), that worked--but it was painful.

If it makes you feel any better, my experience was that moving from Win 2012 GUI to Win 2012 Core provided an obviously enhanced sound, but the improvement was subtle and I have an extremely resolving system.  Going from Win 2012 Core to Win 2016 Core did not allow me to make an A/B comparison.  I think it is better and  Phil (in whom I have complete faith and confidence) says it is better and many on this forum concur.  But, the enhance audio sound quality performance is subtle between 2012 Core and 2016 Core--it's there, but I believe you are not missing THAT much by remaining in Win 2016 GUI.  I know how you feel. I felt like giving up several times, too.  Were it not for the help from IT support at my company, I probably would have.  I think that in Win 2016 GUI, you get 95% of the benefit for 10% of the pain.  There is a diminishing point of return for struggling with Core, unless you are conversant with a command line interface (which I by-pass by using "auto login" in AO).  Had I not had (free of charge) assistance from professionals at my work place, I would have done the same as you have.

FYI - I found something relevant

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/add-gui-to-server-core-1-0v.76023/

/////// S.T.A.R.T \\\\\\

tested on RS3 ( build 16299.15 )

RS4 need be tested, it seems not working

method 1.2v improved version of eddo guide

grab windows 10 16299.15 iso
en_windows_server_version_1709_x64_dvd_100090904.iso
grab those packages from uup ( https://uup.rg-adguard.net/index.php )
amd64fre_Client_en-us_lp
Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-WOW64-Package
Microsoft-Windows-EditionPack-Enterprise-Package
Microsoft-Windows-EditionPack-Enterprise-WOW64-Package
make vhd, extract install.wim into the mounted vhd(from server iso)
extract the esd to same folder like
packages:
amd64fre_Client_en-us_lp
Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-Package
Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-WOW64-Package
to f:\client
and packages
Microsoft-Windows-EditionPack-Enterprise-Package
Microsoft-Windows-EditionPack-Enterprise-WOW64-Package
amd64fre_Client_en-us_lp
to f:\enter

copy mum, cat, manfest(from install.wim in windows iso, folders: windows\servicing\packages and \windows\winsxs\manfest folders)
to f:\client , dont overwrite the files

install the packages
like suggestion: where m: is vhd mounted the console in f:\client
dism /image:m:\ /add-Package /PackagePath:Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.16299.15.mum
full list:
https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/add-gui-to-server-core-1-1v.76023/page-11#post-1413707

use Server iso to repair the boot in hyper-v
or easybcd to add vhd to ur boot menu

Credits Xinso,Eddo2018,LiteOS
\\\\\\\\\\ E.N.D /////////

method by eddo2018(v1.1)
https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/add-gui-to-server-core-1-0v.76023/page-9#post-1412792
tested pkgs list to explorer working but audio missing (no need to copy to winsxs - eddo2018's method)(Beta)
https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/add-gui-to-server-core-1-0v.76023/page-10#post-1412964

(v1.0)
Solution/Credit by xinso:
https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/add-gui-to-server-core-1-0v.76023/page-4#post-1410770

Old subject
is someone that have experience with WIN10SE PE
can tell if its possible to make server core have gui
using regs and files from WIN10SE PE project and how or guide

thx

main goals is:
make it very low process count and low handles
not have the full explorer.exe infrastructure installed
Audio[Half there]
Internet
Start menu (classic shell)
Control Panel
Services.msc, cpu manager etc...

1 hour ago, seeteeyou said:

please do not use such things unless you can handle it and all consquences to 100% yourself.

We cannot guaranty anything to work as expected after such actions as well as we will not provide any kind of support if such modifications are done.

____________________________________________________________________________________

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, amir57bs said:

Dear Sir

I have installed Server Core 2016/AO/Roon Server very easily.

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/2321-wasapi-in-core-mode-all-you-need-to-know/

Thank you very much

...very welcome you are! :)