IGNORED

Jorma on Tidal

I was surprised to see that Jorma Kaukonen has uploaded 80+ live recordings to Tidal. The recordings sound great and the performances, while mostly recent, also include some older material. I feel like I should make a donation in his honor in thanks for all the new music. I wish the Grateful Dead would do something like this.

21 minutes ago, cfisher said:

I was surprised to see that Jorma Kaukonen has uploaded 80+ live recordings to Tidal. The recordings sound great and the performances, while mostly recent, also include some older material. I feel like I should make a donation in his honor in thanks for all the new music. I wish the Grateful Dead would do something like this.

Grateful Dead encouraged the availability of their live recordings (and opportunity to tape during shows, from soundboards also) since late 60-s and on. You can download or stream hundreds and hundreds of them freely without subscribing to any intermediate services. 24-bit quality too.

It is accessible. Check archive dot org or bt dot etree dot org. As per my knowledge not a band, or orchestra, or a single performer in a history of recorded live music made its huge output freely available as GD did.

If you speak about accessibility of Dead's labels published material, it is another thing. I do not know what Tidal's offering here, and do not care if honestly. Tapers archives are so boundless, and sound quality is so good one would not care about anything else and be thoroughly happy, imho.

Yeah, I'm fully aware of archive.org. It's not the same thing as making the vault accessible or putting tons of shows on Tidal. With Roon and Tidal, I was able to add all of Jorma's shows to my collection and stream them to my 2 channel and headphone systems.

That's great, but you need to pay for that. GD tapers shows are freely available and always were. I have a half TB of those and it is pretty well organized and I listen those anyway I choose. Then, why GD (or those who owns their music now) should do anything? Is it not Tidal, who select what to add? I do not have Tidal, but it seem some other services, like Deezer, etc. have a lot of GD.