IGNORED

New Nelsons/BSO Shostakovich 4 & 11 on DG — Why no hi-res?

I’ve been eagerly anticipating this new recording, which was finally released on July 6. But it appears that, unlike previous releases in the series, no hi-res downloadable version has been made available (at least on HDtracks, ProStudioMasters, and Presto). Does anyone have inside information on why this is so? I can’t believe that it was recorded in 44.1/16 only.

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

I don’t know, but I too love the BSO sound and their now 3 Shosti albums.

I stream with Qobuz, and on the 11th and 11th only, the transitions between movements is very abrupt and rather crude sounding.

are you hearing the same? In what format?  Thanks.

34 minutes ago, sockpit said:

I don’t know, but I too love the BSO sound and their now 3 Shosti albums.

I stream with Qobuz, and on the 11th and 11th only, the transitions between movements is very abrupt and rather crude sounding.

are you hearing the same? In what format?  Thanks.

Haven’t heard it yet. Still hoping to download a hi-res version. I really don’t want to download a CD-quality version, but I’ll do it if it turns out to be the only option.

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Thank you for your order received at 11.56am (UK time) on Friday 6th July 2018.

Your Presto Music order number is: 1470113

Details of your order are as follows (prices in Euros):

Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 4 & 11 ‘The Year 1905‘ - album download
Hi-Res FLAC

Label: DG
Catalogue Number: 4835220  €5,45

My price was without  VAT, and they've since almost doubled the price, but it is still relatively low. Buy it before they figure out the mistake:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8456728--shostakovich-symphonies-nos-4-11-the-year-1905

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

I see check-out page as this:

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 11.04.03.png

So pretty clearly they have country specific or region specific pricing.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Guys, not sure how you get these low prices. I see, no matter what country I select, at Presto a mimimum of €16.25 for the 24/96, which would be a typical price for a new DG highres release.

Qobuz with Sublime discount has it at €7.99 (€15.49 undiscounted). I may get that.

5 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Guys, not sure how you get these low prices. I see, no matter what country I select, at Presto a mimimum of €16.25 for the 24/96, which would be a typical price for a new DG highres release.

Qobuz with Sublime discount has it at €7.99 (€15.49 undiscounted). I may get that.

Maybe you need to login with via a VPN. Logged in from Cyprus and got 5,45 euro; logged in from Italy and got 16.01 euro. India 3.13 euro. 

BTW, works with airline tickets and hotel rooms, too. 

8 hours ago, firedog said:

Maybe you need to login with via a VPN. Logged in from Cyprus and got 5,45 euro; logged in from Italy and got 16.01 euro. India 3.13 euro. 

BTW, works with airline tickets and hotel rooms, too. 

Wow will try that. I mean I get somehow differiented pricing by country, even though I struggle for absolutely identical goods like digital music, but this is just ridiculous.

(Especially because I'd presume the people in India that actually do care about Shostakovich in high res can probably afford the full price.)

57 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

Wow will try that. I mean I get somehow differiented pricing by country, even though I struggle for absolutely identical goods like digital music, but this is just ridiculous.

(Especially because I'd presume the people in India that actually do care about Shostakovich in high res can probably afford the full price.)

It does seem a little extreme. They may have made some kind of mistake with this one that gives bigger discounts than they intended. Like I said, a VPN can sometimes get you significant discounts (20%) on items like hotel rooms and airline flights.  As well as subscriptions to online newspapers and magazines.

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

When I travel in India I am buying some books. The same titles in Amazon cost two-three times more than in India store. As a rule books have sticker attached which says "for sale in India only".

For sure some of this is due to licensing and royalty costs being different. and that accounts for regional restrictions on sales. But some of it is also  clearly just the seller targeting the price that he/she thinks is a suitable price for each market. 

19 minutes ago, Daverz said:

Presto doesn't offer me (in the US) hi-rez at all, just 16/44.

Yep—my situation exactly. Hoping the hi-res version will be made available to those of us in the US soon!

Thank you!!! I actually saw an “offer” price of just $14.50, so I nabbed it. It’s highly unlikely that it’ll be cheaper via HDtracks or ProStudioMasters.

Ok guys, when you listen to your downloads, plz let me know how the transition between mvts on the 11th is.  In my streaming via Qobuz of this album, the transitions are so abrupt you think it’s skipping to the next track.  I don’t think it is, but it’s unpleasant to say the least.  The 4th is fine.  Thx.

5 hours ago, sockpit said:

Ok guys, when you listen to your downloads, plz let me know how the transition between mvts on the 11th is.  In my streaming via Qobuz of this album, the transitions are so abrupt you think it’s skipping to the next track.  I don’t think it is, but it’s unpleasant to say the least.  The 4th is fine.  Thx.

Just listened to the 96/24 download of the 11th, and the transition between movements is completely seamless.  Good sound and performance, too (with a couple of unusual touches).  I still have a soft spot for Berglund (EMI), Haitink (Decca), and Stokowski (EMI), though.