IGNORED

Switched! A+ to Roon. Yeah

For the past year or longer I've been a dedicated Audirvana Pro user. I loved most everything about it. The few complaints I had were very minor. But I'm looking at going to a Ethernet/USB solution and they all seem really setup for Roon users. Not that I couldn't use other server setups - but I decided to give Roon a try.

OK, I now see why so many folks use this software. Plus, it overcomes every small issue I had with Audirvana. Key among them was their inability to mark Tidal files with any icon indicating the nature of the file format in Tidal. In A+ you had to play a song file to have any indication of whether or not it was CD, MQA, or some other version. I'd look at Tidal Albums and see two versions of the same title - one would be MQA and the other CD. But neither was marked as to version. It you wanted the MQA or even if you wanted the CD version you had to play a tune from each to find the one you wanted. You could see the format in Tidal because Masters have a "M" logo when on Tidal but not A+. A number of people requested this feature in A+ as much as 6 months ago, but it never happened.

So, not only do I have this feature from Roon, but so many more that I wasn't aware of. And, in only 2-days I've learned so much about my music and what else I might like.

I have a HD with 750 CD rips at 16/44 in ALAC format. It's great that my Tidal favorites and all 750 CDs are grouped together in Genres and organized for easier finding. Plus the SQ is very good as well.

All in all a Win-Win. I wish I had switched earlier.

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

Sound: PS Audio PowerPlant3 >  Naim Supernait3 > Harbeth P3ESR

Nice report - thanks!

And I agree 100% with your final paragraph: It would make things so much easier if RAAT and Airplay (and other protocols) became interoperable - or if, heaven forbid, the major players came together to craft a new, single standard that could supersede not only RAAT and Airplay, but therefore also effectively kill off the awful DLNA.

Roon is head and shoulders above the rest for its interface and features. And the SQ is at least as good as anything I’ve heard.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2018 at 12:00 PM, beetlemania said:

Roon is head and shoulders above the rest for its interface and features. And the SQ is at least as good as anything I’ve heard.

That would suggest that you have not heard HQPlayer.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

On 7/14/2018 at 12:55 PM, tmtomh said:

Nice report - thanks!

And I agree 100% with your final paragraph: It would make things so much easier if RAAT and Airplay (and other protocols) became interoperable - or if, heaven forbid, the major players came together to craft a new, single standard that could supersede not only RAAT and Airplay, but therefore also effectively kill off the awful DLNA.

Curious to know: What is it about DLNA that is awful?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

13 minutes ago, Jud said:

Curious to know: What is it about DLNA that is awful?

Lack of support for gapless playback; limited file-type compatibility; inconsistent/incomplete implementation from brand to brand or device to device.

Also some more detail in the 2nd half of this blog post. It's from 2008 but AFAIK still accurate:

https://gxben.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/why-do-i-hate-dlna-protocol-so-much/

8 hours ago, mansr said:

I take it you haven't read the spec.

Correct.  Thanks for answering the question in more detail downthread so I don't actually have to go read the spec now.  :) 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.