IGNORED

Benny Goodman's 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert -- Hi Res Available?

From a little research, it appears the better quality recordings are those made from the metal (aluminum) masters, thought lost and then found in 1998.  CDs were made of these in 1998, 2002, and 2006.

I don't know what source this hi-res download at 7 Digital Canada is from (couldn't find it at 7 Digital US): https://ca.7digital.com/artist/benny-goodman-and-his-orchestra/release/the-famous-1938-carnegie-hall-jazz-concert-no-1-live-mono-version-6352799

Edit: Caveat - the 1999 (rather than 1998, sorry) release apparently was mastered with a fair amount of surface noise due to the producer's wish to be faithful to the original.  I don't know if the subsequent CD releases cleaned that up at all.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Quobuz has the same version, which is only Part 1 of the concert, and also has both Part 1 and Part 2 on BnF at 24/96 for very low prices.  I think 7digital does as well, but you need to look like you are in Canada to buy them.  I don't know the quality of the BnF versions but I think I remember reading that this is partly a government funded label to preserve music, which is why material on the label is so cheap.

Ross.

3 minutes ago, nrj53 said:

Quobuz has the same version, which is only Part 1 of the concert, and also has both Part 1 and Part 2 on BnF at 24/96 for very low prices.  I think 7digital does as well, but you need to look like you are in Canada to buy them.  I don't know the quality of the BnF versions but I think I remember reading that this is partly a government funded label to preserve music, which is why material on the label is so cheap.

Ross.

I believe the BnF releases are transfers from vinyl.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull