IGNORED

How to optimize $5k or should I wait...

Hello,

I have embarked down the path of moving my music off my computer based setup (iMAC/USB Drive>Ethernet) and on to a dedicated music server.  Primarily I am looking for significantly improved sound quality. It will feed my PS Audio Jr DAC (I2s is probably the optimal method). Need at min 4TB in onboard storage. Prefer not to use a NAS or attached drives but am I missing something by not doing this). I have a sub-optimal ethernet path from my computer currently with multiple switches (various Netgear) to the audio system (no PSU upgrades). I have a lifetime Roon sub and want to stay with that. Prefer not to go down the spaghetti setup path if at all possible (is this really possible if I go USB?). 

I really need help optimizing my spend because this is a significant investment for me

Current budget is $5k

My 2CH audio system consists of:

PS Audio DirectStream Jr

Oppo BDP-105
Ayre K-5xe Pre
Conrad Johnson MF2500a Amp
Vandersteen Quatro Woods
AQ Niagara 1000
AQ cables

Currently under consideration (some may need to be used). Current favorites *:

*Innuos MKII Std (USB) - hopefully some shake loose from MKIII/Statement upgraders

*Sound Science Music Vault Ultra II (I2S)

Antipodes EX (USB)

Stretch:

*Pink Faun 2.16 (I2S) - can't afford the clocking upgrades of the 2.16x and I am worried about support if something goes wrong (expensive to ship back & forth)

Wolf Audio Alpha 2 (USB)

Based on my equipment/setup what is the best way to optimize this $5k?  Is there a better way to spend these $'s? What else should I consider for servers? Will I need to realistically save more?

Thank you in advance

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

Firsty great system !

"Innuos MKII Std (USB) - hopefully some shake loose from MKIII/Statement upgraders"

I don't have any experience myself with Innuos MKII Std but I've read that  Innuos MKII and MKII SE sounds better by adding a USB device eg like the SOtM tX-USBultra USB.  How much better I don't know.

Personally for me I don't want to add USB extra boxes in conjunction with power supplies if I'd chosen the Innuos MKII Std (USB).  

I wish Innuos would give an option to upgrade the USB in the Innuos MKII Std (USB).  It seems you have to go the the Statement for that.  

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

Why not build your own optimized server with clocking and power for much less?  You can farm out the hard part, clocking to SOtM.  Use SOtM's USB card.  Buy separate power supplies.  Save a lot on doing your own build for the same or better SQ.  Plus your modular for future upgrades.  

Whereas these expensive servers are not very friendly to upgrades and loose a lot of value with the quickening market development.  

Plus you have better control over the software.  

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

1 hour ago, jaspal kallar said:

I don't have any experience myself with Innuos MKII Std but I've read that  Innuos MKII and MKII SE sounds better by adding a USB device eg like the SOtM tX-USBultra USB.  How much better I don't know.

Personally for me I don't want to add USB extra boxes in conjunction with power supplies if I'd chosen the Innuos MKII Std (USB).  

I wish Innuos would give an option to upgrade the USB in the Innuos MKII Std (USB).  It seems you have to go the the Statement for that.  

Definitely a concern if I go with the Innuos MKII jaspal

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

7 hours ago, FrankMA said:

Hello,

I have embarked down the path of moving my music off my computer based setup (iMAC/USB Drive>Ethernet) and on to a dedicated music server.  Primarily I am looking for significantly improved sound quality. It will feed my PS Audio Jr DAC (I2s is probably the optimal method). Need at min 4TB in onboard storage. Prefer not to use a NAS or attached drives but am I missing something by not doing this). I have a sub-optimal ethernet path from my computer currently with multiple switches (various Netgear) to the audio system (no PSU upgrades). I have a lifetime Roon sub and want to stay with that. Prefer not to go down the spaghetti setup path if at all possible (is this really possible if I go USB?). 

I really need help optimizing my spend because this is a significant investment for me

Current budget is $5k

My 2CH audio system consists of:

PS Audio DirectStream Jr

Oppo BDP-105
Ayre K-5xe Pre
Conrad Johnson MF2500a Amp
Vandersteen Quatro Woods
AQ Niagara 1000
AQ cables

Currently under consideration (some may need to be used). Current favorites *:

*Innuos MKII Std (USB) - hopefully some shake loose from MKIII/Statement upgraders

*Sound Science Music Vault Ultra II (I2S)

Antipodes EX (USB)

Stretch:

*Pink Faun 2.16 (I2S) - can't afford the clocking upgrades of the 2.16x and I am worried about support if something goes wrong (expensive to ship back & forth)

Wolf Audio Alpha 2 (USB)

Based on my equipment/setup what is the best way to optimize this $5k?  Is there a better way to spend these $'s? What else should I consider for servers? Will I need to realistically save more?

Thank you in advance

Worth mentioning but may be a bit left field and DIY for you:

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4541&sid=ce157fd952ce83ca4d4f3f35c0b951dd

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DSD-STM32F407ZET6-SD-lossless-digital-dial-I2S-output-support-16Bit-24Bit-32Bit-192K-WAVE-FLAC-APE/32822764654.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.wFSdTF

Only costs $50 or so, and has a bit of a following over on TirNaHifi - runs off SD cards. I run one into the I2S input on my PS Audio Junior DAC and even without mods and case, no contest it is off the scale the best sounding source that I have tried.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

1 hour ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Why not build your own optimized server with clocking and power for much less?  

Whereas these expensive servers are not very friendly to upgrades and loose a lot of value with the quickening market development.  

Agree this is a cheaper option Elvia but not sure I have the skill to build one at this point.  The rapid pace of development is certainly a concern as well as this get's north of $5k (maybe even north of $3k). The ability to upgrade would be value highly.  Antipodes has a path. Pink Faun/Sound Science as well although the PF has to go to Denmark....

14 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Worth mentioning but may be a bit left field and DIY for you

Hello tapatrick - that is a little outside the box approach for me. Appreciate the suggestion though

3 hours ago, FrankMA said:

??

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

• 3 weeks later...
I did pull the trigger on a new Innuos Zenith MKII 4TB for $5k. Too hard to pass up at 20% off the prior price. I am glad they shook free once the MKIII was announced.  
On the search for a USB cable to my PS Audio DSJr Dac

Hi FredM Looks interesting. I will put that on my list.

Also considering Audioquest Diamond, Light Harmonic Lightspeed 10G & Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7. Although I would like to  spend less....

17 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Thanks Dave - I will definitely take a closer look at both of those threads for USB recommendations

@FrankMA

If you don’t want use the Bridge II card built into your DirectStream Jr. DAC, I would recommend going with an ultraRendu feeding your DAC via USB. Ted Smith, the DAC designer, says that USB input is just as good as the I2S input if the source is good and the ultraRendu is great.

For the server I would go with a sonicTransporter i5 or i7 with a big internal spinner or use an external USB drive.

Ted Smith will tell you all of these expensive external word clocks are a waste of money with his DACs.

I am using Roon with a DirectStream DAC with a Bridge II card fed by  sonicTransporter i5. It sounds fantastic. 

@Ralf11 Thanks for the input. I am pretty happy with my Quatro Woods. Maybe a CT down the road

@diecaster I will definitely try ethernet to the Bridge II card. Interesting comment from Ted regarding clocks. I am locked into the Innuos MKII I just purchased

I ended up going with the Phasure Lush USB to start. Just placed my order