IGNORED

Headless Linux UPnP Music Server - help with looking for one

We build something like what you're looking for.

https://jriver.com/Id/

On 7/8/2018 at 6:41 AM, Em2016 said:

Hi Music Server experts

I'm looking to setup a headless Linux UPnP music server - something that can be booted from USB drive.

Plex Media Server has a Linux Embedded version but I played with this and unfortunately it only talks to other Plex endpoints, not general UPnP renderers (like HQPlayer Embedded, DietPi's GMrender etc).  tagging @Miska also

So I'm looking for a USB bootable Linux based UPnP server, that works 'headlessly' (no keyboard, no mouse, no screen) and plays to UPnP renderers (like HQPlayer Embedded, DietPi Gmrender etc) 

Running on an Intel NUC.

I need headless operation so it boots up with the press of a power button, and shutsdown with the press of a power button and can be configured from a browser on a different machine on the same network.

And I really need it to be a USB bootable image - I don’t want to be installing and using Ubuntu server manually.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

10 minutes ago, jriver said:

We build something like what you're looking for.

https://jriver.com/Id/

Thanks!

As I've mentioned a couple times though, I'm looking for a solution for an existing Intel NUC, i.e. I'm looking to use a NUC I have in hand already.

Can I buy your OS to use with my own NUC? A NUC7i7BNH

I only see the SD card purchase option for the RPi but no USB bootable solution for a NUC?

Cheers

• 2 months later...
On 9/25/2018 at 11:27 AM, seeteeyou said:

Pietro at Audiolinux said That Audiolinux is only tested on Asus, MSI and Asrock bios and NUCs are not supported...

He said many are buying NUCs thinking that Intel processor, motherboard and Intel bios will be the best, Unfortunately this is not the case as there is not official support for linux. Maybe if someone is clued up on all this they can make it work. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

59 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Pietro at Audiolinux said That Audiolinux is only tested on Asus, MSI and Asrock bios and NUCs are not supported...

He said many are buying NUCs thinking that Intel processor, motherboard and Intel bios will be the best, Unfortunately this is not the case as there is not official support for linux. Maybe if someone is clued up on all this they can make it work. 

What is the problem with NUC? I've been running Linux on NUCs for quite a while without problems.

For @Em2016 one software solution to try could be FreeNAS. Not Linux and I have not personally tried it, but it should have UPnP media server functionality and should be fairly easy to deal with.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, Miska said:

What is the problem with NUC? I've been running Linux on NUCs for quite a while without problems

I'm just passing on what I was told as I'm trying to find out which is the best PC to use with Audio Linux. Not all NUCs work because of bios.

from another popular thread in reference to using NUCs.

On 9/20/2018 at 2:02 PM, lmitche said:

Mostly, it is the unexpected stuff that makes this hard. The NUC bios is pretty awful,. I haven't seen anything this bad since early days of the consumer motherboard business. You can get things to work, but it takes persistence to deal with the inconsistent behavior. This combined with the command line requirements of Audiolinux suggest to me that it is not an easy road for a novice. 

If you can help clarify what NUCs work I would appreciate as I'm not an expert with this.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

8 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

I'm just passing on what I was told as I'm trying to find out which is the best PC to use with Audio Linux. Not all NUCs work because of bios.

If you can help clarify what NUCs work I would appreciate as I'm not an expert with this.

Ok, I don't know about Audio Linux, since I've never used it. I have several generations of NUC in use, with Debian 9, Ubuntu 16.04/18.04, Fedora 28 and my custom OS bootable HQPlayer Embedded image. I asked in that thread what is the actual problem, because otherwise it is hard to say how to work around it either.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

8 minutes ago, Miska said:

Ok, I don't know about Audio Linux, since I've never used it. I have several generations of NUC in use, with Debian 9, Ubuntu 16.04/18.04, Fedora 28 and my custom OS bootable HQPlayer Embedded image. I asked in that thread what is the actual problem, because otherwise it is hard to say how to work around it either.

26 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

I have Audiolinux working on nuc7cjyhs. They can be made to work if you are persistent. I do know of one CAer who could not get one working despite my sharing pictures of my bios settings.

Take a look below.

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/nuc/content?filterID=contentstatus[published]~category[04-nuc7cjyh-nuc7pjyh-nuc7cjysal]

I am not bashing NUCs, I am thrilled with mine. I just want others to set their expectations appropriately.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

I have Audiolinux working on nuc7cjyhs. They can be made to work if you are persistent. I do know of one CAer who could not get one working despite my sharing pictures of my bios settings.

Take a look below.

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/nuc/content?filterID=contentstatus[published]~category[04-nuc7cjyh-nuc7pjyh-nuc7cjysal]

I am not bashing NUCs, I am thrilled with mine. I just want others to set their expectations appropriately.

Thanks Larry

I may go for a Asus, MSI or Asrock as I'm not skilled enough in hacking bios. I'm willing to learn but I don't really have the time unfortunately to pursue. I suspect running Audiolinux in Ram and headless is the key anyways...

I downloaded Audiolinux today to test it out on a MacBook pro laptop before deciding which PC/NUC to run it on as I’m not clear yet due to the Bios issues. I have it booting off a USB drive and all loaded in Ram. Using Roon server/Tidal and sending to my Diy reclocked  roonbridge streamer it’s sounding superb. So conclusion is it’s fine running on a Mac. 

4 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

I downloaded Audiolinux today to test it out on a MacBook pro laptop before deciding which PC/NUC to run it on as I’m not clear yet due to the Bios issues. I have it booting off a USB drive and all loaded in Ram. Using Roon server/Tidal and sending to my Diy reclocked  roonbridge streamer it’s sounding superb. So conclusion is it’s fine running on a Mac. 

Wow, can you do this without screwing up anything for when you want to revert to using the MacBook Pro normally (running MacOS)?  I guess you're not using headless AudioLinux because of the display, right?  How much memory do you need on the MacBook Pro to try this?  I have a mid-2012 retina MBP.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Yes it was quite easy to do as long as you get the usb stick formatted properly and Audiolinux image burnt to it. I used etcher. 

You boot up in efi mode (hold down option key on startup) and select the usb drive then it all loads. When you want to go back to OS you just restart as usual.

I then set Audiolinux to load in Ram and restarted. You run it from a Roon control in my case an iPhone. 

I am going to try the headless version next as I have that as well and don’t see why it shouldn’t work as well. 

I have 16gb ram but when booting up it says it’s about 5-6gb so 8gb should do to run Roon server. I’m not using HQ player as my PS Audio Junior DAC upsamples everything to DSD. 

I have an old i3 MacBook Pro which I may get out of storage to try as it’s so easy on a Mac.  ?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/unimediaserver/files/Official Releases/Linux/UMS-7.4.0.tgz

Headless mode

https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer/UniversalMediaServer/wiki/Headless-mode

https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer/UniversalMediaServer/blob/master/README.md

Universal Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. It is capable of sharing video, audio and images between most modern devices. It was originally based on PS3 Media Server by shagrath, in order to ensure greater stability and file-compatibility.

• 1 year later...

any updates to this thread?

I want a bootable dlna server so i don't have to "tweek"...just boot and go and have a dlna server running.

I was running jriver dlna server on same box as player, but i want a dedicated dlna server, and if there is an image available that you can just boot, point to your nas that would be great.

I saw that jriver replied above about their ID product, and original poster asked if it would work on nuc that he only saw download for raspberry pi....for me i want to run on an asus (i have several of them laying around here).

Is there a jriver ID downloadable available for intel based, or is there any other bootable image available?