IGNORED

Computer to Passive Speakers

Hi, 

So, please accept my apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I cannot seem to find/understand what I'm doing.  Here's the deal: I currently have a computer I built myself with an old, old sound card (which happened to have a digital coax out) - I have it hooked up to a cheap-as-shit denon avr-587 basically to use it as an amp for my B&W 602s3 speakers.  I'm ready to build a new computer, but want to continue to use my B&W speakers (which, obviously) are passive.  All the DACs I see are for headphones, and I'm not quite sure how this translates to my rig.  Could someone please help me understand what I need (or how I can better) make use of my passive B&W 602s3's? I love them, and want to continue to use them - I just can't figure out a way to do it without the Denon.  Hope this makes sense.

Basically, what should I buy for a new pc build to accommodate passive speakers?

Please help!

1st welcome to CA. 

If your motherboard doesn't have Toslink output, you can ad this $29.99 soundcard which has an optical out.  It is limited to 96 khz. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020&cm_re=asus_sound_card-_-29-132-020-_-Product

The suggestion of an integrated amp would work too.  Some of those now have USB input for music from computers.  Would cost more to do that, but might improve the sound of your speakers by doing a better job than an AVR. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.