IGNORED

General headphone help

Hey guys, new member looking for some advice.

Totally new to the whole audiophile side of things and bought my first expensive pair of headphones the other day.

I normally use Astro A50s as my PC headset (I use mostly for gaming) but after doing some research I've heard that most gaming headsets are average headphones with gimmicks and that I should get a proper set of headphones.

So here I am. I've bought the Sennheiser HD 700's. Now I know these are supposed to be a love hate thing, but I got these at a good price compared to retail and figured if I've nothing to really compare them with, maybe it'll be easy for me to be in the 'positive' corner of these headphones.

Thing is though, I've got them and I really just don't tel much of a difference. Even compared to my iPhone earphones, they sound similar, but this is more me than the headphones I'm sure. I've been listening to youtube to try and feel the difference. Obviously, youtube probably isn't the best content to really feel the quality, so what kind of music file should I be listening to.

I've also been told that getting an Amp/Dac while turn these headphones from basic listening and really excel them.

I've looked at and seen that the Oppo HA-2SE gets great reviews but I feel like I'm paying extra for the portability which I guess I won't ever need, so could anybody recommended me a good amp/dac combo? I don't really want to spend to much as I'll only really use this for gaming, and I've heard that Dac's wont really make a difference when it comes to gaming.

When it comes to the HD700s. The complaint is about the high frequencies. Probably a stupid question, but what should I be noticing that people don't like?

Sorry for the broad and long topic, I'm really new to this and trying to learn, so for the few willing to read this whole post, thanks in advance.

Edit; As  slight add. There are no 'good' audio stores anywhere near where I live, so I can't even go and test any Dac/Amps or other headphones to get an idea of what to expect

2 hours ago, SMPhoo said:

Hey guys, new member looking for some advice.

Totally new to the whole audiophile side of things and bought my first expensive pair of headphones the other day.

I normally use Astro A50s as my PC headset (I use mostly for gaming) but after doing some research I've heard that most gaming headsets are average headphones with gimmicks and that I should get a proper set of headphones.

So here I am. I've bought the Sennheiser HD 700's. Now I know these are supposed to be a love hate thing, but I got these at a good price compared to retail and figured if I've nothing to really compare them with, maybe it'll be easy for me to be in the 'positive' corner of these headphones.

Thing is though, I've got them and I really just don't tel much of a difference. Even compared to my iPhone earphones, they sound similar, but this is more me than the headphones I'm sure. I've been listening to youtube to try and feel the difference. Obviously, youtube probably isn't the best content to really feel the quality, so what kind of music file should I be listening to.

I've also been told that getting an Amp/Dac while turn these headphones from basic listening and really excel them.

I've looked at and seen that the Oppo HA-2SE gets great reviews but I feel like I'm paying extra for the portability which I guess I won't ever need, so could anybody recommended me a good amp/dac combo? I don't really want to spend to much as I'll only really use this for gaming, and I've heard that Dac's wont really make a difference when it comes to gaming.

When it comes to the HD700s. The complaint is about the high frequencies. Probably a stupid question, but what should I be noticing that people don't like?

Sorry for the broad and long topic, I'm really new to this and trying to learn, so for the few willing to read this whole post, thanks in advance.

Edit; As  slight add. There are no 'good' audio stores anywhere near where I live, so I can't even go and test any Dac/Amps or other headphones to get an idea of what to expect

You basically need a USB DAC/headphone amp. An inexpensive option is the iFi Nano $149.  Or you can look at the Sciit Lyr $499

https://www.musicdirect.com/headphone-amp/iFi-Nano-iDSD-LE-DACHeadphone-Amp

More costly headphone amps will just make you aware of defects in the source solution, best to  put effort there before spending money on a more costly headphone amp.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

23 hours ago, davide256 said:

You basically need a USB DAC/headphone amp. An inexpensive option is the iFi Nano $149.  Or you can look at the Sciit Lyr $499

https://www.musicdirect.com/headphone-amp/iFi-Nano-iDSD-LE-DACHeadphone-Amp

More costly headphone amps will just make you aware of defects in the source solution, best to  put effort there before spending money on a more costly headphone amp.

Thanks, I'll take a look!

14 hours ago, buonassi said:

what's your budget?  HD700 do need an amp in my, (an many other people's) opinion.  

I'm not really wanting to spend much over £250 as it's a big outlay with the headphones on top, but I'm sure I can get a few Amps that can push the headphones for that?

7 hours ago, SMPhoo said:

I'm not really wanting to spend much over £250 as it's a big outlay with the headphones on top, but I'm sure I can get a few Amps that can push the headphones for that?

absolutely.  you're talking about diminishing returns the more and more you spend.  But I don't feel that happens until about the $600 USD mark.  

I think you could get a schiit magni 3 amp.  Here in the US, it is $99 USD and it is unbelievable for the price (supposedly).  It is available in UK as well.

https://schiit.eu.com/headphone-amps/magni-3

google reviews on it.  it has outstanding reviews.

while you're at it, grab a modi 4490 - it's a decently smooth starter DAC.

https://schiit.eu.com/dacs/modi-2-usb-dac

now you have something that will properly decode your digital files and properly drive those headphones.  And you're under budget!  

it really is good to start slow and buy more expensive gear if you end up liking the hobby.  also, you can probably recover 75% of your purchase cost by selling them on head-fi.org 

I think you'll be surprised at how much better the combo I mentioned above sounds - vs plugging straight into your phone or computer headphone jack.  It will be a noticeable improvement.