IGNORED

The Steven Wilson Yes Remixes - Great Deal HD Tracks

Just noticed that the boxed set of the famed Steven Wilson Yes Remixes is available for a great price on HD Tracks. They are charging a mere $34.95 for the full set. This includes the albums:

The Yes Album

Fragile

Close To The Edge

Tales From Topographic Oceans - double album

Relayer

The vinyl set is just under $100.00 on Amazon, so this really is great value. It may be only 96/24, but that was likely the best that could be managed. 

JC

That's a good deal. I already have a couple in 24/96 so I won't be buying again but good deal none the less.

36 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Steven Wilson does good things to old recordings in digital format. I particularly like his Close to the Edge. Jethro Tull's Aqualung too.

Don't miss the Thick As A Brick remaster from Wilson/Tull

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

20 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

That's a good deal. I already have a couple in 24/96 so I won't be buying again but good deal none the less.

Don't miss the Thick As A Brick remaster from Wilson/Tull

Didn't like the album by some reason (it is strictly personal) but pretty sure Wilson's effort is worth attention.

1 hour ago, agladstone said:

His Chicago Remasters are also really good too! 

With all due respect, there was only one Chicago remix by Steven Wilson (Chicago II). And given that he only worked with prog rock or very similar music previously, I cannot tell you how odd it is that he even worked on that one Chicago album. The only previous exception to that being Tears For Fears and Simple Minds, which were groups he had a personal connection to via members.  I'm still trying to get my mind around him working on Chicago 2, thats like Peter Gabriel reworking Hall and Oates! :)

Here is the complete list of what he has worked on:

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink
Chicago II
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - ELP
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus
Gentle Giant - Three Piece Suite
Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Hawkwind - Warrior at the Edge of Time
Jethro Tull - Stand Up
Jethro Tull - Benefit
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
Jethro Tull - War Child
Jethro Tull – Songs from the Wood
Jethro Tull – Too Old To Rock ‘n’ Roll, Too Young To Die
Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery
Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon
King Crimson - Lizard
King Crimson - Islands
King Crimson - Lark’s Tongues in Aspic
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
King Crimson - Red
King Crimson - Discipline
King Crimson - Beat 
King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair 
Marillion – Misplaced Childhood
Opeth - Damnation
Roxy Music - Roxy Music 
Rush - A Farewell to Kings
Simple Minds - Sparkle in the Rain
Steve Hackett – Please Don’t Touch
Steve Hackett – Spectral Mornings
Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
XTC - Drums and Wires
XTC - Nonsuch
XTC - Oranges and Lemons 
XTC - Skylarking
XTC - Black Sea
Yes - The Yes Album
Yes - Close to the Edge
Yes – Relayer
Yes – Fragile
Yes – Tales from Topographic Oceans

40 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

With all due respect, there was only one Chicago remix by Steven Wilson (Chicago II). And given that he only worked with prog rock or very similar music previously, I cannot tell you how odd it is that he even worked on that one Chicago album. The only previous exception to that being Tears For Fears and Simple Minds, which were groups he had a personal connection to via members.  I'm still trying to get my mind around him working on Chicago 2, thats like Peter Gabriel reworking Hall and Oates! :)

Here is the complete list of what he has worked on:

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink
Chicago II
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - ELP
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus
Gentle Giant - Three Piece Suite
Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Hawkwind - Warrior at the Edge of Time
Jethro Tull - Stand Up
Jethro Tull - Benefit
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
Jethro Tull - War Child
Jethro Tull – Songs from the Wood
Jethro Tull – Too Old To Rock ‘n’ Roll, Too Young To Die
Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery
Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon
King Crimson - Lizard
King Crimson - Islands
King Crimson - Lark’s Tongues in Aspic
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
King Crimson - Red
King Crimson - Discipline
King Crimson - Beat 
King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair 
Marillion – Misplaced Childhood
Opeth - Damnation
Roxy Music - Roxy Music 
Rush - A Farewell to Kings
Simple Minds - Sparkle in the Rain
Steve Hackett – Please Don’t Touch
Steve Hackett – Spectral Mornings
Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
XTC - Drums and Wires
XTC - Nonsuch
XTC - Oranges and Lemons 
XTC - Skylarking
XTC - Black Sea
Yes - The Yes Album
Yes - Close to the Edge
Yes – Relayer
Yes – Fragile
Yes – Tales from Topographic Oceans

Thanks for the complete list! 

I have (and love) all of the Jethro Tull albums. I have all the Yes albums and they’re really well done. 

I also have the Caravan (also great), and The ELP Albums. 

I am going to have to get the Tears For Fears and Rush (I didn’t realize that he remastered these)!

I have the Chicago II and I think it’s really great, it’s definitely the best remastering / version of the album I have. 

Thanks again! 

17 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Thanks for the complete list! 

I have (and love) all of the Jethro Tull albums. I have all the Yes albums and they’re really well done. 

I also have the Caravan (also great), and The ELP Albums. 

I am going to have to get the Tears For Fears and Rush (I didn’t realize that he remastered these)!

I have the Chicago II and I think it’s really great, it’s definitely the best remastering / version of the album I have. 

Thanks again! 

You're welcome. I'm finding the relatively newly released Jethro Tull, Heavy Horses - New Shoes box set (including a beautiful book) to be really outstanding too. I felt the same way about the equivalent Song From The Woods box set with book prior to that.

JC

Of course, I'm also now ticked off because after dropping the substantial money for the really nice boxed sets, with the excellent books, of both Songs From The Wood, and Heavy Horses, they afterwards are now available in Hi Rez from HD Tracks in 96/24. I checked at the time I bought both sets and there were no Hi Rez offerings for either. :(

JC

1st pass on the remix doesn’t ring many bells with me, the fragile tracks are not in the same league as MFSL standard CD for example, not many dynamics , rather flat. I’ll work on some more in depth in a week and report back.

There is a separate Fragile remix from a couple of years ago from Wilson and it was very good. Maybe an analysis from Musicscope may reveal some clues.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

Of course, I'm also now ticked off because after dropping the substantial money for the really nice boxed sets, with the excellent books, of both Songs From The Wood, and Heavy Horses, they afterwards are now available in Hi Rez from HD Tracks in 96/24. I checked at the time I bought both sets and there were no Hi Rez offerings for either. :(

JC

I have the HDTracks Downloads for Songs From The Wood and Heavy Horses, but I’m missing out on those nice booklets:)  :) 

7 hours ago, agladstone said:

I have the HDTracks Downloads for Songs From The Wood and Heavy Horses, but I’m missing out on those nice booklets:)  :) 

Yes, they are really nice. Small, hardcover books, full color photos on nearly every page, and fascinating information on the band during the period the albums were made, the creation and recording of the albums, related concerts, etc. Even if they were only available separately I would easily pay a nice sum just to own them.

Just wishing someone had both the cd and Hi Rez versions and could compare them before I consider paying again for the HD Tracks offering.

JC

7 hours ago, One and a half said:

1st pass on the remix doesn’t ring many bells with me, the fragile tracks are not in the same league as MFSL standard CD for example, not many dynamics , rather flat. I’ll work on some more in depth in a week and report back.

There is a separate Fragile remix from a couple of years ago from Wilson and it was very good. Maybe an analysis from Musicscope may reveal some clues.

There are TWO Fragile remixes from Steven Wilson???

JC

18 hours ago, TubeLover said:

There are TWO Fragile remixes from Steven Wilson???

JC

Well, there's a CD in 2015 and also the BD from the same year. The BD had 96/24 files, also 5.1 if people are into that. I don't have the BD, but the CD I do, must have bought it in a rummage sale...? I didn't realise until now, that the BD contained 96/24 flat and remixed Fragile.

Here's the track listing from Discogs, I'm sure there's a CA member that has this release. I don't think it should be too hard to track down and compare the current 2018 release. I'm fearful, there's a repackage cover = balls up and the recent release is a dud, like many faux hi-res label outputs.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 7/2/2018 at 4:56 AM, One and a half said:

Well, there's a CD in 2015 and also the BD from the same year. The BD had 96/24 files, also 5.1 if people are into that. I don't have the BD, but the CD I do, must have bought it in a rummage sale...? I didn't realise until now, that the BD contained 96/24 flat and remixed Fragile.

Here's the track listing from Discogs, I'm sure there's a CA member that has this release. I don't think it should be too hard to track down and compare the current 2018 release. I'm fearful, there's a repackage cover = balls up and the recent release is a dud, like many faux hi-res label outputs.

I was just about to buy from hdtracks ... Fragile is one album which I was missing from my collection and was listening to it on tidal earlier this week (I have a cassette copy, but nothing to play it on).  So the bd arrives tomorrow!  Thanks for mentioning - I didn't realize that the bd had 2 versions.  Will report back on flat vs remix.  (Might still buy the hdtracks to get the other albums)

The only (other) Steve Wilson that I have is Marillion - Misplaced Childhood (2017)  It is pretty good - from what I understand, it is just a remaster and not a remix.  Definitely sounds better than the remaster by Peter Mew (2000).   

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a correction, Steve Wilson did not remaster the stereo version of Marillion's Misplaced Childhood.  He only did the 5.1 channel remix.

Thanks to @One and a half, I have decided to buy the Steve Wilson Yes CD/blu-ray editions instead of this whole download (which is a great price for five great albums) because the Blu-ray has the Steve Wilson stereo and 5.1 remixes, a flat transfer of the original mastering (in 192/24), and a needle drop of the original lp release.  I now have Fragile and the Yes Album.

• 3 years later...