IGNORED

Guns N Roses Appetite For Destruction Remastered High Resolution

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, audiophile65 said:

May I please ask if I should order/download the 96 or the 192 of GNR Appetite For Destruction?

After seeing a few instances of comparisons (spectrum analyser) between 96kHz and 192kHz of the same album, and seeing that 192k often just had more high/ultra frequency noise than the 96k version, I just stick with 88k and 96k for hi-res purchases now.

Not worth paying more and using up more disk space for more high frequency noise. Unless 176k/192k is the only hi-res option offered of course.

I haven't compared 96k vs 192k for this specific album though, maybe someone has. I have this album in 96k.

On 8/27/2018 at 7:52 PM, Em2016 said:

After seeing a few instances of comparisons (spectrum analyser) between 96kHz and 192kHz of the same album, and seeing that 192k often just had more high/ultra frequency noise than the 96k version, I just stick with 88k and 96k for hi-res purchases now.

Not worth paying more and using up more disk space for more high frequency noise. Unless 176k/192k is the only hi-res option offered of course.

I haven't compared 96k vs 192k for this specific album though, maybe someone has. I have this album in 96k.

OK, 96 for me. And yes, it will save a little money and save a lot of data space.

12 hours ago, cjf said:

Hrrrmm...The original CD has a 3db per track advantage in DR over this new "Remaster". Why am I not surprised?

I've not heard the new release but the numbers haven't lied to me yet on any "Remaster" I've tried; even before taking the measurements during direct comparisons.

No thanks, I'll stick with my feeble RedBook version instead :)

The raw cut studio versions are great.  Axl's lyrics are incomplete, the guitar solos aren't yet polished and no overdubs or mixes.  Just the guys figuring out what songs will work on the record.  I wish more bands would give the raw unmixed/overdubbed versions as bonus tracks.  Reminds me of bands playing at a house party.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 5:10 PM, cjf said:

Hrrrmm...The original CD has a 3db per track advantage in DR over this new "Remaster". Why am I not surprised?

I've not heard the new release but the numbers haven't lied to me yet on any "Remaster" I've tried; even before taking the measurements during direct comparisons.

No thanks, I'll stick with my feeble RedBook version instead :)

Props to @ShawnC and @cjf for sharing objective findings. I personally find these remasters to be interesting but somewhat disappointing. There is some increased clarity on the top end, but the dynamics and impact have been reduced. They aren't as good as the Appetite album tracks, but if you compare the G N' R Lies tracks on the Appetite Super Deluxe version to the original G N' R Lies release, it's obvious they have been compressed.

On 2 lipca 2018 at 9:33 PM, Musicophile said:

A pretty irrelevant side note:

I checked this album out on Qobuz using my Sennheiser HD800, as I used to really like this when I was younger (these days barely any rock gets played on my system). 

I finally understand why some people don’t like the HD800.

They are totally useless for rock. On my main system and on my secondary HP system with the Beyer T90 everything was fine. But the Sennheisers, as much as I love them for Jazz and Classical, really no point in ever playing any rock music through them again. 

Parenthesis closed. 

Haha, hello Musicophile. I've been absent for quite some time on the forum, or rather passive, because all my time was consumed by playing vinyl records recently ;-) What you don't like in HD800 for rock? I have T90, which I like them a lot, even for classical and jazz.

Anyway, is the same remaster available on Qobuz as well? What I see in the DR database, the original version still got more dynamic range that this one, but of course DR range is not everything, so I need to check it out.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I have checked both web portals: Highresaudio.com and Qobuz.com and there is quite bit price difference: 68EUR on Qobuz vs. 52EUR on Highresaudio!

Credits say only digitally remastered, that's fine nowadays, besides the fact that in was recorded to tape I guess since in 1987, so to prevent shape of the tapes it was archived to digital I suppose and worked that way.

What I cannot understand still is lack of the PDF version of the booklet! 

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

2 hours ago, mkrzych said:

Haha, hello Musicophile. I've been absent for quite some time on the forum, or rather passive, because all my time was consumed by playing vinyl records recently ? What you don't like in HD800 for rock? I have T90, which I like them a lot, even for classical and jazz.

Anyway, is the same remaster available on Qobuz as well? What I see in the DR database, the original version still got more dynamic range that this one, but of course DR range is not everything, so I need to check it out.

Welcome back!

On the HD800 Rock question: well, all the things that work well for classical and Jazz, the extreme analytical clarity and transparency, really aren’t what I look for in rock music. It just lacks not even bass, but more of a dirty/physical feel, which the Beyers deliver much better than the Senns.