IGNORED

it makes me dizzy

(OK...Breathe)

Hi all,

I'm Darryl and very new here. I'm on a quest for truth and reality. Here's my dilemma. I need a decent set of PC speakers. I mostly game (online combat flight sims), so my old Logitech Z560s were fine. Well the wife commandeered them when my gaming rig blew up. To complicate matters I won an 8gig i-pod not long ago. How does that relate to this quest? Well the i-pod came with earbuds that didn't last vey long, and I had to replace them. I bought a pair of Sony ear buds, and they are just fine. The thing is, these ear buds have a low-end spec of 6hz. Now that's below the human range of hearing, but it lends itself to some fine sound reproduction. Listening to acoustic music I found myself impressed by the clarity of what I could hear from an upright bass; the strings were very clear. I was hearing stuff I had not heard before when listening to music I was extremely familiar with. Well I want that in a set of pc speakers, especially since I can play my i-tunes lists. How to get there form here? Price is an object (wide, tall and deep), but otherwise what's out there that reproduces low end sounds as well as them earbuds? Anyone?

thank you,

darryl

ps here's a link to a review of the MC-15: http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/loudspeakers/dynaudio-mc-15.html

I just can;t afford $1300.00 right now. Good review though.

Sorry about your cat, Mrs. B. I thought it was a squirrel. Well, one down; eight to go! No Ma\'am. Not funny

Hi Darryl - Welcome to Computer Audiophile. It will be tough if not impossible to get down to 6 Hz but you can get some very accurate desktop speaker systems. I've always been a fan of the Dynaudio MC15 system http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/multimedia/mc15.php

I think you'll be happier looking for an accurate system rather than one that can go the lowest in Hz.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advice and the link. I may have voiced (typed) it differently, but I think we're on the same page. I want an accurate system. Those Sony ear bids spoiled me with the greater fidelity of sound. I'm just wanting that clarity coming from my PC. An honest range of 20hz to 30khz would be fine, providing I an afford it. The MC-15 is way out of my range. I know audiophile is a top-shelf concept, and that better speakers are found there. I was thinking of something that had better lows than the Logitech Z5500 (33hz), at about the same price ($400.00) Got any suggestions? I'm still searching.

thanks!

darryl

ps here's a review of the MC-15. Nice review, but I can't afford the $1300.00 price I need a lower (much lower) price option. I think I'm screwed, but I'll keep searching. Oh, the link: http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/loudspeakers/dynaudio-mc-15.html

Sorry about your cat, Mrs. B. I thought it was a squirrel. Well, one down; eight to go! No Ma\'am. Not funny

thanks for the tip gcorley. The Edifier S2000 sounds like a food processor! (I like the name though I found a review here:

http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http://www.technic3d.com/article-1017,1-edifier-s2000-musikliebhaber,-aufgepasst.htm&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

Chris, thank you for the recommendation too. Lots of great owner reviews here, though a bit dated. Maybe that means I can get a good price on Ebay? http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Powered-Multimedia-Speaker-System/product-reviews/B000OABTPQ/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

much appreciated, guys.

darryl

Dedicated Mains Cond dis block. Custom Linux Voyage MPD server. HRT Music Streamer Pro, Linear mains powered ADUM Belkin Gold USB cable. TP Buffalo 11, Custom XLR interconnects/Belkin Silver Series RCA. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp.Van de Hull hybrid air lock speaker cables. Custom 3 way Monitors,Volt 250 bass&ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621Mid & D2905/9300Hi. HD595 cans.[br]2)Quantum Elec based active system self built.

Thanks for the link Tipper. It looks as if the low end is 50hz. I must be transfixed on low end hertz reproduction, but I'll see if I can find a desktop system that will feature a low end of 25~30 Hz. We can't hear too much below that, in fact. Right now I can tell you that the wife's Logitech Z560 has a 188watt sub woofer that is spec'd at 33hz on the low end, but I think that's optimistic because the bass isn't clear. Oh, it booms and can rattle the room, but it still isn't as clear at the lower end as my Sony earbuds. I even went here to test the subwoofer:

If you try it, please notice how your sub sounds at 50, then 40, then look for an on-screen message at 35hz. The wife's sub wasn't really doing much below 40hz and went quiet at 35. Not even "moving air". How did your sub-woofer perform?

Darryl

Hi Darryl,

I purchased 3 pairs of these spearkers for myself and friends and the sound is unbelievable (including going very loud with great base) for the price. I got them in Sydney for A$500 and they retail in the UK for GBP350 but should now be cheaper in USA as they have been superseded with a pair that has a built in tuner and is twice the price etc.

These are active speakers and have a high quality 40 watt built in creek amp and ipod dock and are by far the the best PC speakers I have heard. Have a look at the link below and also the what hifi review.

http://www.aktimate.com/Review%20USA%20Playback.pdf

www.whathifi.com/Review/Epoz-AktiMate-Mini/

They come with a remote that will change volume and run your ipod but it is a bit ordinary.

Hope this helps.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Ajax,

Thank you for the links. Interesting little speakers. I'll see if I can find out more about them, including availability. Might just be the ticket!

darryl

edit: still available for $700.00 USD.

• 3 weeks later...

I owned a pair of Quad 12L actives for a while. I bought them second hand looking a bit like they had been in a brawl with a drum kit. I was experimenting with building an active system at the time and as a reference for what can be achieved at a reasonable cost in the high and mid range the Quads came highly recommended. I thought they were frighteningly good compared to most passive speakers I had heard costing twice the full retail cost of the Quads. I wish I had kept them now.

While 50Hz can’t be considered deep base it is in that region where feeling and hearing can start to get a bit muddled.

Being a game playing, music and Hi Fi enthusiast I can appreciate your wish to hear/feel lower frequencies. A pair of speakers such as these and a good quality small sub may be the best way forward given that for the majority of small speakers a bass driver of sufficient quality to give good sounding accurate base in a limited cabinet size pushes the price up significantly.

I find it interesting that quality sound for games hardly gets mentioned in the same breath as computer audiophile sound. I suggest that the games industry has done more to push computer audio quality forward than the music industry has in the past given that it has only been recently that quality audio and computers could be mentioned without risking being shot by the traditional audiophiles.

The same prejudice seems to have trickled over to music types. I cant see any reason why so many audiophiles not only dismiss games in their consideration of sound quality but will also seemingly feel quite comfortable stating that a particular system is necessary to listen to classical music for example while listening to hip hop only requires an mp3 player and a telephone speaker.

Ignorance and prejudice are such wonderful assets when combined with a bit of snobbery ;)

Dedicated Mains Cond dis block. Custom Linux Voyage MPD server. HRT Music Streamer Pro, Linear mains powered ADUM Belkin Gold USB cable. TP Buffalo 11, Custom XLR interconnects/Belkin Silver Series RCA. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp.Van de Hull hybrid air lock speaker cables. Custom 3 way Monitors,Volt 250 bass&ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621Mid & D2905/9300Hi. HD595 cans.[br]2)Quantum Elec based active system self built.

Hi Tipper,

Thanks for the perspective on speakers. 50hz OK if the sound is clear. I'd want a sub that could be clear at 33hz or lower. But I don't think I can afford such a thing. Well, the city won't burn down if I wait a little longer. Something always comes up.

darryl