IGNORED

VB HIFI VIRTUAL AUDIO CABLE configuration?

VB HIFI VIRTUAL AUDIO CABLE configuration?

I cannot understand how to connect the focusrite device (or other real world device) to the virtual VB ASIO BRIDGE?

Does anyone know how to explain this please?

i.e. how to connect real world to virtual world sockets/cables?

VBAudioASIOBridgeConnectionDiagram.jpg

...they say: "a picture can paint a thousand words", but this picture just leaves me totally baffled?

There are 2 products in one in this package:

- The VB-Audio HIFI Cable is working as Virtual Audio Cable to connect 2x applications together (a player to a recorder), 24 bits perfect - 44.1 to 384 kHZ.

- The ASIO BRIDGE is an application using the HIFI Cable as Virtual I/O to route them to an ASIO device. It allows to playback audio (coming from any applications) into a physical ASIO device (through the HIFI-Cable virtual playback device, which is a regular windows audio device).

15 hours ago, vburel said:

There are 2 products in one in this package:

- The VB-Audio HIFI Cable is working as Virtual Audio Cable to connect 2x applications together (a player to a recorder), 24 bits perfect - 44.1 to 384 kHZ.

- The ASIO BRIDGE is an application using the HIFI Cable as Virtual I/O to route them to an ASIO device. It allows to playback audio (coming from any applications) into a physical ASIO device (through the HIFI-Cable virtual playback device, which is a regular windows audio device).

many thanks, but I still don't understand how the physical connection  to the focusrite is made? A diagram would be better. cheers!

in case of Playback , for example DVD Player will send audio to HIFI Cable input (set as default playback device for example)... Then the ASIO Bridge  will get this signal to send it to Focusrite ASIO driver:

Player -> HIFI Cable Input -> ASIO Bridge ->  ASIO device ouput.

As the picture shows, it also works in the other way, where Focusrite input can be captured by a windows recorder application (e.g. Audacity) through the HIFI Cable output (Recording Device). Then the ASIO Bridge will get signal from Focusrite ASIO input to send it to HIFI Cable output

Focusrite ASIO input -> ASIO Bridge -> HIFI Cable output -> Recorder

8 hours ago, vburel said:

in case of Playback , for example DVD Player will send audio to HIFI Cable input (set as default playback device for example)... Then the ASIO Bridge  will get this signal to send it to Focusrite ASIO driver:

Player -> HIFI Cable Input -> ASIO Bridge ->  ASIO device ouput.

As the picture shows, it also works in the other way, where Focusrite input can be captured by a windows recorder application (e.g. Audacity) through the HIFI Cable output (Recording Device). Then the ASIO Bridge will get signal from Focusrite ASIO input to send it to HIFI Cable output

Focusrite ASIO input -> ASIO Bridge -> HIFI Cable output -> Recorder

many thanks! I understand that it is 2 products in one package i.e. VB virtual cable & ASIO bridge. I understand the top half of the picture as it is all virtual reality and done inside the PC. The ASIO bridge is an app. inside the PC, so 'lets say' a focusrite real world hardware device is to be connected via the ASIO bridge which is a virtual device inside the PC, so surely the focusrite MUST BE connected to the PC with REAL cables some how? If yes?  ...what sockets on the PC does the focusrite connect to (i.e. in/out)?  ...does it require 'say' a special kind of sound card and not the usual asus/creative stuff? Has that made it any clearer what I am actually asking for?

16 minutes ago, vburel said:

it's pending on device. in the case of the Focusrite, it is USB (or firewire). But basically it works with any ASIO compatible device... Whatever the physical connection is (PCIe, Ethernet etc...).

So, you don't need some sort of special sound card in the PC? What about a PC with no sound card, just mainboard sound + other sockets like USB, e-SATA, maybe firewire, HDMI, DP, DVI, com ports, i2s, AES, Optical, cat5, etc? That is you are saying devices like focusrite connect to the PC through these everyday interfaces that are already on mainboards anyway (or a PCI-e riser/expansion card with say a coax socket)? Cheers!

2 hours ago, vburel said:

You need to have a special sound card ASIO compatible (also considered as AUDIO PRO sound board if you prefer)... otherwise you simply won't need the ASIO Bridge application.  

OK thanks, beginning to get the big picture in my head now. you said: "in the case of the Focusrite, it is USB", so are both focusrite & USB, ASIO compatible? cheers!

"ASIO Compatible" means the audio board manufacturer is providing an ASIO Driver (for Windows - independently from the hardware connection). This Specific Driver model has been done By Steinberg in the 90's to provide a reliable way to manage audio device under Windows (because Windows Audio has never been reliable for professionals).

6 hours ago, vburel said:

"ASIO Compatible" means the audio board manufacturer is providing an ASIO Driver (for Windows - independently from the hardware connection). This Specific Driver model has been done By Steinberg in the 90's to provide a reliable way to manage audio device under Windows (because Windows Audio has never been reliable for professionals).

OK , Many thanks!