IGNORED

Considering Sonic Transporter/Ultra Rendu Upgrade - Some Questions

As the title above says, I'm considering upgrading to a Sonic Transporter/Ultra Rendu solution from my current system. My current set up is an Aurender N100 connected to a Mutec MC3 +USB connected to my Modwright Elyse dac. I am using the MC3+USB to convert the usb signal from my N100 to SPDIF on the Modwright, as it is an older USB version that requires drivers. The older USB version was the USB Class One audio specifications standard, which was later updated to a USB Class Two standard. The first, original standard, required computer drivers for the USB connection to function. The newer standard eliminated that issue.

If I do decide to go with the Sonic Transporter/Ultra Rendu solution, will I be able to go directly from the Ultra Rendu to the ModWright DAC via usb? If not, because of the limitations of the USB of the Elyse, would this still be an upgrade worth bothering with?

JC 

USB Class 1 = input files up to 24/96, no driver needed for Mac or Windows

USB Class 2 = input files > 24/96, no driver needed for Mac but driver needed for Windows (may now be included in latest Windows versions)

Does your SPDIF input on your DAC allow input of files greater than 24/96 resolution? If your DAC is only capable of input resolutions of 24/96 or less, than connecting the ultraRendu directly to your DAC will be no different than connecting your N100 directly to your DAC. It appears to me that your DAC is the limiting factor, not the N100. Do I not understand what you are asking?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

On 6/27/2018 at 6:46 AM, Axiom05 said:

USB Class 1 = input files up to 24/96, no driver needed for Mac or Windows

USB Class 2 = input files > 24/96, no driver needed for Mac but driver needed for Windows (may now be included in latest Windows versions)

Does your SPDIF input on your DAC allow input of files greater than 24/96 resolution? If your DAC is only capable of input resolutions of 24/96 or less, than connecting the ultraRendu directly to your DAC will be no different than connecting your N100 directly to your DAC. It appears to me that your DAC is the limiting factor, not the N100. Do I not understand what you are asking?

No, you do understand what I was asking. The DAC is the limiting factor. I will, eventually, replace it, but given the quality with which it outputs redbook PCM (from my library of 3500 cd's ripped to a NAS)  to do so will cost me at least $8k, for something used, and that's not in the current budget.

JC

On 6/28/2018 at 6:44 AM, vortecjr said:

It should work fine with the Rendu series.

Jesus, just to make sure I understand, are you saying that it will work fine, as I currently have things set up, having to convert to the SPDIF input, or, it would work fine, USB from the UltraRendu  to the USB on my DAC, as I had hoped. Thanks .

JC

2 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Jesus, just to make sure I understand, are you saying that it will work fine, as I currently have things set up, having to convert to the SPDIF input, or, it would work fine, USB from the UltraRendu  to the USB on my DAC, as I had hoped. Thanks .

JC

Nothing fed into a USB class 1 input is "fine". Might as well use a CD player. Asynchronous USB came after class 1

Regards,

Dave

Audio system