IGNORED

What Causes the Intermittent Crackling-Static Sound?

First, I'm sorry for the long thread- but I'm desperate for a solution!

I'm mystified at what causes this static-like crackling sound coming through my speakers with computer audio. (not with any other sources) My setup is:

MacBook Pro>Audiophilleo 2>Peachtree Audio DAC-ITx>NAD C375BEE> Klipsch RF72. I have been in contact with Phil G. at Audiophilleo and tried everything he suggested but have not been able to get rid of the intermittent static sound that appears out of nowhere and then disappears. It's weird how unpredictable it is. You might think all is well because music will play fine for an hour and then the crackling sound shows up from out of nowhere. I mostly stream from the internet- with no hi rez listening here. I listen both via WIFI and Ethernet. I actually installed the Ethernet cable thinking maybe my WIFI network might be causing the static. (but that did not stop it) Whenever I go straight USB I get no crackling sound. It is only when I insert the Audiophilleo 2 into the chain that the crackling eventually comes. (the reason I contacted Audiophilleo) So, knowing that, I sent my AP2 to Audiophilleo and Phil checked it out (Phil could not replicate the problem). I tried changing USB cables, even bought the 2 headed Audiocadabra) to hopefully attack this problem with static- and changed coax cables too. All AC outlets are grounded. Nothing stops the static sound from eventually --slowly appearing. I traded my AP2 with Phil for one of his AP2 test units and the same crackling sound eventually showed up again. What's also strange is the amount of time it takes for the sound to appear (sometimes as much as an hour of listening) Cables I have: Wireworld Starlight 2 USB, Furutech Formula 2 USB, Audiocadabra Optimus USB (separate data and power), VH Audio Pulsar (copper) Coax, Signal Cable Silver coax, Signal Cable copper coax, Blue Jeans Belden Coax- my cables are generally 1.5 meters.-The Starlight is .5 meters but I have not used it in quite a while. By the way, I just ordered my first LPS (TeraDak) for the Peachtree DAC ITx- to remove the switching power supply from the DAC.-hoping that could help My last 3 DACs have had switching power supplies so I look at that as a commonality with this intermittent statcic sound -so maybe that might make a difference for the better? Any theories? Also tried the Schiit Eitr converter to see if I got the static sound coming through- I didn't get the static sound with it in the chain, but for various reasons I returned the Eitr. Thanks

Do you have a preamp or something with a volume control, and how old is it? 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I do have 2 preamps here that are not  currently being used and both have volume controls. One is a Joule Electra LA 150 II that is probably 12 years old or more., and the other is a Classe CP 35 that is about 17 years old.  What 's your theory?  I have experienced this crackling static issue using my computer audio setup with 2 different integrated amps, the Yamaha AS2000 that I sold and bought new 2 years ago and now the NAD C375BEE which is about 2 years old purchased used.   

Do you have a different DAC you could try in place of the Peachtree? Do you have a different S/PDIF source you could try with the Peachtree? Is the problem in any way dependent on the sample rate of the music, such as taking longer to appear with some rates or sounding differently? Oh, and try the cheapest USB cable you have, probably something that came free with a printer or external hard drive.

Thanks Whitigir and mansr. mansr,  I do not have any other DACs to try now. I did have the Schiit Eitr here for a trial, but returned it for various reasons; there was not static with the Eitr--- the Audiophilleo 2 produces so much better sound quality!.I owned quite a few different DACs  over the years when funds in my bank account were larger than  they are today.  I went through quite a few nice DACs- had the W4S DAC 2, Eastern Electric Minimax, Centrance Dacmini, tried the Benchmark HGC 2, - used to have the NAD M2 with its its own built in DAC.  These days on a much much tighter budget and far fewer funds in the bank, I recently tried the Topping D30 and now the Peachtree DAC ITx.  (trying to stay around the $100-$200 DAC arena) I've been forced to go for value performance.  I think I tried a cheap stock USB once before to address this static issue but if memory is correct, that did not remove the intermittent static.  But I will try that again.  I mostly listen to jazz on youtube , so nothing fancy or hi-rez.  

Whitigir,  I'm not a computer guy so your information is somewhat enlightening.  My cables have been interchangeable and I have tried a variety of USB cables in my collection as well as various Coax cables I own and still get the static.  I have experienced the static with 2 different integrated amps, the Yamaha AS 2000 before, and now the NAD C 375BEE.  The Audiophilleo 2 did perfectly fine when I needed it to use with the NAD M2, since the M2 required a USB converter to connect to the MacBook Pro.   

3 hours ago, codyred said:

I do have 2 preamps here that are not  currently being used and both have volume controls. One is a Joule Electra LA 150 II that is probably 12 years old or more., and the other is a Classe CP 35 that is about 17 years old.  What 's your theory?  I have experienced this crackling static issue using my computer audio setup with 2 different integrated amps, the Yamaha AS2000 that I sold and bought new 2 years ago and now the NAD C375BEE which is about 2 years old purchased used.   

The contacts on the volume control, especially at the lower end of the range, can often become intermittent with frequent use. 

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

29 minutes ago, codyred said:

Jud, the NAD C375BEE is only about 2 years old, and the volume pot is fine- the same was true for the Yamaha AS2000.

Thanks for the info - sorry I couldn't be more helpful, and hope one of these ideas proves to be the solution.

2 hours ago, codyred said:

Thanks Whitigir and mansr. mansr,  I do not have any other DACs to try now. I did have the Schiit Eitr here for a trial, but returned it for various reasons; there was not static with the Eitr--- the Audiophilleo 2 produces so much better sound quality!.I owned quite a few different DACs  over the years when funds in my bank account were larger than  they are today.  I went through quite a few nice DACs- had the W4S DAC 2, Eastern Electric Minimax, Centrance Dacmini, tried the Benchmark HGC 2, - used to have the NAD M2 with its its own built in DAC.  These days on a much much tighter budget and far fewer funds in the bank, I recently tried the Topping D30 and now the Peachtree DAC ITx.  (trying to stay around the $100-$200 DAC arena) I've been forced to go for value performance.  I think I tried a cheap stock USB once before to address this static issue but if memory is correct, that did not remove the intermittent static.  But I will try that again.  I mostly listen to jazz on youtube , so nothing fancy or hi-rez.  

Whitigir,  I'm not a computer guy so your information is somewhat enlightening.  My cables have been interchangeable and I have tried a variety of USB cables in my collection as well as various Coax cables I own and still get the static.  I have experienced the static with 2 different integrated amps, the Yamaha AS 2000 before, and now the NAD C 375BEE.  The Audiophilleo 2 did perfectly fine when I needed it to use with the NAD M2, since the M2 required a USB converter to connect to the MacBook Pro.   

So the problem is specific to the Audiophilleo + Peachtree combination?

Have you noticed if a house appliance could be causing the static? Could it be a badly designed power supply perhaps?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I had problems with my internet connection sending random signals to my computer, causing intermittent static. It disappeared when I disconnected the internet. Also there are ways to minimize the extraneous activity of computers talking to the internet.  My computer person set my computer to minimum activity.  Finally, if your computer is underpowered to do the decoding or upconverting, it can cause intermittant noise.  Good luck.  Larry  

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

mansr, the problem is not specific to the DAC ITx and Audiophilleo 2 with MBP - had the same static with a Topping D30 and FX Audio DAC using the AP2 with MBP.  Had the AP2 for years and used it previously with  the MPB and NAD M2 without any issue.  Thanks for the suggestions. The static can take an hour or more to show up for a few seconds and than disappear again. It's very random.  semente, I have not noticed any appliances that could be adding noise. Computer audio has so many unknowns!

9 hours ago, codyred said:

mansr, the problem is not specific to the DAC ITx and Audiophilleo 2 with MBP - had the same static with a Topping D30 and FX Audio DAC using the AP2 with MBP.  Had the AP2 for years and used it previously with  the MPB and NAD M2 without any issue.  Thanks for the suggestions. The static can take an hour or more to show up for a few seconds and than disappear again. It's very random.  semente, I have not noticed any appliances that could be adding noise. Computer audio has so many unknowns!

Sounds like the AP2 is still a common factor here. If its signal is slightly out of spec, it could easily happen that some DACs tolerate it better than others.

yeah mansr- I sent my 2013  AP2 to Philip G to check out. He had it for quite a while and found nothing amiss with it. He was unable to replicate the intermittent static. He made many different suggestions and asked questions.  I even brought home a workmate's MacBook Pro to see if my MBP could be the problem, and the intermittent static occurred with the other MBP too!. Eventually I asked Philip G if he would trade me one of his AP2's for my AP2.  He agreed to trade and sent me one of his AP2 test units, and the intermittent static sound still occurs! I have a linear power supply on the way to replace the switching mode supply for my Peachtree DAC ITx,  is it possible that could make a difference?  Every DAC where I had this static problem had a wall wart.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

If the DAC works without the AP2, its power supply likely isn't to fault.

Is it possible that the PSU isn't properly filtering noise in the mains?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

5 hours ago, codyred said:

yeah mansr- I sent my 2013  AP2 to Philip G to check out. He had it for quite a while and found nothing amiss with it. He was unable to replicate the intermittent static. He made many different suggestions and asked questions.  I even brought home a workmate's MacBook Pro to see if my MBP could be the problem, and the intermittent static occurred with the other MBP too!. Eventually I asked Philip G if he would trade me one of his AP2's for my AP2.  He agreed to trade and sent me one of his AP2 test units, and the intermittent static sound still occurs! I have a linear power supply on the way to replace the switching mode supply for my Peachtree DAC ITx,  is it possible that could make a difference?  Every DAC where I had this static problem had a wall wart.

Have you tried this with a PC? Perhaps it is a driver or firmware issue. I have had this with an Amanero card when using the wrong firmware. Have you tried adjusting the bit depth or buffer size?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

31 minutes ago, 4est said:

Have you tried this with a PC? Perhaps it is a driver or firmware issue. I have had this with an Amanero card when using the wrong firmware. Have you tried adjusting the bit depth or buffer size?

The AP2 apparently uses standard USB audio class drivers, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I have experienced with some files having similar problems but I believe it is the problem of ripping a defective CD. 

I have also some albums with songs of mixed format, some 16/44.1, 24/96, DSD and my previous DAC will output distorted sound together with noise like static for a period before getting to normal or until I press pause/stop.  It resumed normal when played.    I believe my previous DAC got stuck and could not switch itself to play the correct format.

MetalNuts