IGNORED

iMac > Gemini3.0 > DAC Possible?

Is it possible to connect your computer to a DAC via an iFi Gemini3.0 using up two USB 3.0 ports on the computer (iMac > Gemini3.0 > iUSB3.0/DAC etc)? I used to have an external DVD writer that came with a two-headed USB cable, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to connect iFi devices to your computer in this way. But rather than just assuming this will work, I thought I would ask to see if anyone else has tried this...and whether it made any difference to SQ. 

N.b., I've simplified the schema here as there is an iSUB3.0 and an iGalvanic in there as well. There will soon be a Gemini 3.0 going from micro iUSB3.0 > iGalvanic but was wondering about whether it might be helpful adding a second one from iMac > iUSB3.0.

On 6/29/2018 at 6:14 PM, Sator said:

Sigh...an orphan thread. Surprised nobody else has thought of this. Or maybe I missed the thousands of threads already discussing this? :)

Many people did, but ultimately the best thing to do is to try a product in your own setup and see for yourself if there's a difference. Our return policy is generous, therefore the best way would be to ask your local iFi representative and move from there.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

I should mention that I have decided against running a Gemini cable taking up two USB ports on the computer. I think you get results that are just as good when you use an iPower/iDefender combination, which also frees up a USB port.

• 1 month later...

I have used two Gemini’s with a Mac Pro for 18 months and the result was good, one connected to the Mac and iUSB 3.0 another from the iUSB to the micro iDSD, and later to the micro iDSD black label, the sound was great, the update to Gemini 3 gave me more detail, better bass a a more transparent sound,, bigger soundstage, after changing from the old Gemini is difficult to go back.

The Gemini 3.0 need long burn in but after seeing a better picture you do not want to see a lesser one. If an iUSB or an iGalvanic is in the middle two identical cables results better than the risk of combining different brands, every cable has a sound signature, so combining a diferent brand could result in great musical  synergy,, or be a  total disaster like the soung become 2d,, highs become harsh or loose control of the bass, and a lot of other things as thin sound.

If possible always try bebore buy.