IGNORED

"Journalists" extolling MQA need their ears tested".....

Though I've no doubt Atkinson, Harley, Quint, Austin, et al are in dire need of boosting their listening skills, I think that is entirely irrelevant to the MQA fiasco.

On the other hand, a Morals and Ethics for Dummies course might not be.

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

13 hours ago, shtf said:

Though I've no doubt Atkinson, Harley, Quint, Austin, et al are in dire need of boosting their listening skills, I think that is entirely irrelevant to the MQA fiasco.

I am not 100% sure that Ethics and Morals are the only thing at play here....I think editors of magazines that cover esoteric hobbies really want to be market makers for the prestige and to compound their influence..even more so considering there are 2 US publications left in print. Jon Valin thinks he is a champ for "discovering" Magico speakers...I think Atkinson desperately wanted to be remembered as the pundit who called the MQA Era first...

..well of course the desire to create a market for ad revenue and questionable listening skills are at play too..

Hi,

In the end, 99% of people will not hear any difference between High Resolution and MQA - since 99% of people are not into Hifi.

The only issue i can see is if the labels force MQA upon everyone. If they do, then we know it is because of DRM and not sound quality, and we would then know this was the labels intention after all.

I do not see how giving a percentage to MQA for no payback is good business strategy.

Regards,

Shadders.

Don't forget the "Record Industry" has a long history of total disregard for both artists and consumers.

1.  Black Blues Artists signing "contracts".  Contracts they may have not been able to read.  

2.  Sexual exploitation of performers.  (Leslie Gore, Kesha)

MQA?

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

On 6/17/2018 at 7:40 PM, shtf said:

You’re responding to someone who literally made up a story about comparing 50 MQA downloaded albums to thier originals at a rich audiophile friend’s house one day. The irony is stunning — not that you likely care.

On 6/17/2018 at 5:53 PM, Brinkman Ship said:

Every single time. "Journalists" extolling MQA need their ears tested -- and have the hearing test results in graphs posted alongside their stories --- these graying dudes at audio magazines who've lost a third or more of their hearing ... "

Don't actually think this is relevant at all. Listening skills mean a lot more that the ability to hear very high frequencies. My ability to hear high frequencies is way down from years ago, but I can hear and understand much more of what is going on in playback than I could then. I can also hear all sorts of things younger people can't, because they don't know how to listen or what to listen for. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

21 hours ago, GUTB said:

You’re responding to someone who literally made up a story about comparing 50 MQA downloaded albums to thier originals at a rich audiophile friend’s house one day.

I’m new around these parts so I’ve no way of knowing if what you say is true, but let’s assume you’re right.   So I guess the question is:

Would I prefer engaging one who wrote about an imaginary listening session who has little or no influence over high-end audio and whose imaginary findings of MQA performance were rather accurate?

Or would I prefer engaging an editor-in-chief, having some influence over high-end audio, who experienced several non-imaginary MQA demo’s yet his non-imaginary findings of MQA performance were entirely imaginary?

Given those two choices, I suppose I’d prefer neither.  But if I had to make choice which person stands to have greater character, which is likely to be more accurate and more worthwhile engaging, hands down I would choose Brinkman.  But I would definitely want to hear more about this imaginary system Brinkman used for his MQA comparison as I’ve no doubt it must be quite a revealing and musical playback system to be this accurate.

The irony is stunning — not that you likely care.

I appreciate the emotional touch.

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

15 minutes ago, shtf said:

I’m new around these parts so I’ve no way of knowing if what you say is true, but let’s assume you’re right.   So I guess the question is:

Would I prefer engaging one who wrote about an imaginary listening session who has little or no influence over high-end audio and whose imaginary findings of MQA performance were rather accurate?

Or would I prefer engaging an editor-in-chief, having some influence over high-end audio, who experienced several non-imaginary MQA demo’s yet his non-imaginary findings of MQA performance were entirely imaginary?

Given those two choices, I suppose I’d prefer neither.  But if I had to make choice which person stands to have greater character, which is likely to be more accurate and more worthwhile engaging, hands down I would choose Brinkman.  But I would definitely want to hear more about this imaginary system Brinkman used for his MQA comparison as I’ve no doubt it must be quite a revealing and musical playback system to be this accurate.

FYI..GUTBEE is full of shit. Disregard any of his posts about MQA> He redefines the paradigm of willful ignorance

and false narratives...again, with respect to MQA.

1 hour ago, shtf said:

See? You didn’t care.

On 6/18/2018 at 12:53 AM, Brinkman Ship said:

An Aurender rep told me that MQA is now saying their files are as good as 24/96 of the same mastering (they've stopped saying "better"). But they aren't even as good. That's the thing. Audible artifacts --- distortion masquerading as detail— were even obvious. But more so, MQA files are less 3D, and have a less inviting listening experience overall compared with the same non-MQA file. Every single time.

I'd prefer MQA go away but we keep going in this circle.

This is what @Archimago said:

"Objectively with the songs I examined, the software decoder works well to reconstruct what looks like the equivalent 24/96 download."

and

"Bottom line: TIDAL/MQA streaming does sound like the equivalent 24/96 downloads based on what I have heard and the test results"

https://archimago.blogspot.hk/2017/01/comparison-tidal-mqa-music-high.html

It's very easy to confirm yourself too.  I used Audio Hijack on Mac and Spek analyzer, for the Tidal album 'Magnificat'

2L has a song from this album for comparison on their site too

http://www.2l.no/hires/

On 6/19/2018 at 1:31 PM, GUTB said:

You’re responding to someone who literally made up a story about comparing 50 MQA downloaded albums to thier originals at a rich audiophile friend’s house one day.

The first (and last?) time I agreed with GUTB.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/38500-listen-for-your-self-2-albums-in-hirez-and-mqa/?do=findComment&comment=778964