IGNORED

Rokit 5.1 Surround Sound setup.

Hi.

I am looking to setup a 5.1 Surround sound setup with Rokit 6's and woofer. My main problem is that the monitors are active.

My source has a Digital optical out. I will need to send the optical out into a digital media reciever which then outputs 5.1 rca(I dont think I will find anything with TRS and XLR out).

Does this make sense? Will it work? Anyone know of a good quality digital media reciever?

Thanks.

Your question casts rather a wide net...

First off, how much do you want to spend?

Is this system primarily for music, or primarily for use in AV system, or a balance of both?

Do you want / need HD audio format support (i.e. DTS-HD Master Audio / Dolby True HD)?

What devices are you using as the source?

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of your requirements and find something to point you in the direction of.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm okay lets see! Lets pretend Im filthy rich as I dont have all the cash now and will be buying piece by piece.

I studied sound engineering for 3 years and used these monitors for my projects. I have now settled down in a job that doesn't have much demand for me to do audio work. I use them for listening to music and the occasional job. I love them!!

Now heres where I need your help......In my spare time, I am very into gaming. My source is a Playstation 3. It has HD out and Optical out. I have decided I want the full experience (The full HD screen with the full HD Surround sound setup)

So I would say it is a multimedia setup. I will still use them for audio work though. I will just switch them over manually I guess (MBox2).

I know the Playstation supports Dolby True surround HD.

Does this help a bit more?!?

Thanks.

Matt

What you need is an AV Amp (or receiver) which has pre-amp outputs. The usual brands to consider are Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon - all three are pretty equal at each price point. You should get one with pre-amp outputs for around £500 if not less.

If you can afford it however, it maybe worth looking at the Audiolab 8000AP. This is a preamp/processor (rather than receiver) so has no internal amplification. Another possibility would be the Emotiva UMC-1 - a new low end processor available online.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks.

So with the surround amp, I am then pretty much sorted?

I really wish my monitors were passive!!!

The audio lab looks awesome.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Next thing on my list will be the amp!

£500 ha ha im in South Africa!

Thanks.

Matt

Rokits are nearfield monitors and they will not sound good from more than 5 feet away. Tested.

Onkyo ND-S1 ?Reference 5 DSP/CA DacMagic ? SPL Auditor/LD MK IV SE ? balanced KRK RP10s/5[br]Cans: AKG K272 HD, Sennheiser HD555(Cardas), HD600(Cardas), ATH-M50

• 7 months later...

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I'm currently running Rokit 8's for my front mains, Rokit 6's for my surrounds and a single rokit 8 for a center. I'm using a Yamaha av receiver with pre-outs and a home built dual 12" sub. I sit anywhere from 6 to 12 feet from my screen, using a PS3, xbox and a HTPC for sources. I've had many "high" end systems from proceed to B&k Magnepan to B&W nautilus..and everything in between. I wont say this is the "best" system I've had but it sure stacks up very well and has that "oooo" factor when friends come over to watch movies or to game.

Eloise: why is the Emotiva UMC-1 a low end processor? I would like to buy a preamp/processor as well for my multimedia set-up as well and use powered monitors so I am considering buying it as well as some others. Thank you, Miguel

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

I think there are a couple ways to look at her response. 1.) in the Huge world of audio you can break it up into three categories, Low-fi, Mid-fi and Hi-fi...all three areas can provide excellent sound..."low-fi" or Low end doesn't mean bad sound. Low-fi would be "most" mass market all-in-one av/receivers...Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer etc..."mid-fi" is where you make a step up...into usually separate pieces...Pre/amp processor plus the requisite multi-channel amp or even monoblocks. Adcom, Rotel, B&K, I would say Emotiva would fit into either the "High" end of "low-fi" or entry level Mid-fi..and the final "Hi-fi" would be the Krells, Audio Research, Proceed, cost no object companies.

or 2.)

That piece is an entry piece for the company Emotiva

Maybe that helps