IGNORED

How to get started with Digione Player?

I am completely new to RPi. Purchased the Digione Player (RPi B+, DietPi+Allo GUI, 8GB, alu-case), and it arrived yesterday. I am lost as to how to get it to do, what I want, which is:

Play AIFF files from a connected USB HDD, and control playback via WiFi using an iPhone.

I am not planning to connect the Digione Player via ethernet permanently. I assumed that I could connect via ethernet once, change the necassary settings for it to connect via WiFi from then on, change the necessary settings for it to retrieve the files from the HDD, and then just use iPhone to control playback.

I can’t get any of the above to work. Using ethernet I can access the web interface, but can’t find any relevant settings to change, not even sure where to look.

Given my target scenario (HDD playback/iPhone control), would anyone be willing to help with a simple guide for how to get this to work?

Thank you in advance.

Well, I have now come as far as to get it to play using MPD + O!MPD. Problem now is that I can't locate the USB HDD which is connected to DigiOne Player. I had to copy files from my MacBook to the Music folder (using samba server) instead of just using/playing the ones on the USB HDD. Where is the HDD supposed to show up? Allo GUI / MPD + O!MPD / Finder (Mac) / Other ? Isn't it possible to just point MPD + O!MPD to the specific folder on the HDD where my music is? 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to reply. Hopefully someone else will benefit, as I have given up on the unit and put it up for sale. The fact that it only works via ethernet means I would have to drill a hole in ceiling for the cable (modem/router is on a different floor from player). This I am not willing to do, so will look for a wireless HDD player/solution instead. As well, the whole linux lingo/universe is just too daunting for me, frankly there hasn't been much plug&play about the Digione Player in my case. Anyway, thread can be closed, and thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, a friend convinced me to have another go. I worked out how to ssh login (never done that before) and ran the commands. And, it worked, HDD was recognised, and music available after updating O!MPD library. 

Tried a couple of control apps (Rigelian and MPDRemote) without any success (no connection), DietPi apparently is special there as well.

As mentioned above I should have gone for volumio, though now I am going to try moOde instead. This is more or less forced by the fact that after updating to DietPi v6.12 nothing works. 

First tried to update via Allo GUI, just got the spinning wheel forever. Instead I updated via ssh login and dietpi-update. All went well, apart from Time-sync (or something like that) which failed and had to be forced. After reboot HDD was still mounted, but O!MPD couldn't see it, so file-paths were all invalid. As HDD didn't show up at all, there was also no way of updating library.

Anyway, I am done with DietPi, hopefully moOde is less crippled, and eventually I might also try volumio.

Forgot to mention that my friend made me aware of Homeplug, which I then got, and it works fine for just controlling Digione Player. So, I avoided drilling holes, however had to spend extra to get the Digione Player (w/DietPi) to meet my needs. 

I don’t have a wired keyboard in the house so I reverted to Volumio.

super simple, searches for drives and NAS devices as well, web GUI looks beautiful, updates are simple, etc.  Creates a hot spot if it can’t connect to your network.  Accepts airplay so my wife can stream to it.

i wanted to try dietpi because Allo states it is better with their player.  Not simple enough for my life.