IGNORED

Streaming of Multi-channel High Res Files (flac)

I'm hoping for some advice on the easiest way (given my current setup) to stream multi-channel high res music.

• I currently Have an unRaid media server, running Plex, and MiniDLNA applications.
  • My Audio processing is by a Marantz AV 7702mkii
  • My primary streamer is an nVidea Shield
  • I also have a Pioneer BluRay player that can stream via DLNA.
  • Everything playing these files is on a hard wired gigabit network.  No wifi in the mix.

I have a collection of 2 and multi-channel high res-music (flac) files.  The two channel will play fine via the shield without trans-coding of any kind.  However, the multi-channel it wants to transcode to AAC, and of course too much is lost in that conversion.  If I force direct play, it tries, but either doesn't start showing forward progress on the bar OR it plays but breaks up during playback.  
I am told Plex should pass this file just fine, but was also told the Shield should be passing it fine so not sure where the real problem is.  This all came from the Plex member forums on their site.  

So if there are any suggestions on how to get Plex / Shield combo to play these files, that would be a first choice.  

A second would be a Plex client in some compact form that will pass full bit rate 1080P, with DTS-HD, True-HD, and stand alone stereo / multi-channel flac.  I did have a run with a couple mini-pc's like the NUC.  At the time I was having other issues (since solved) that I was thinking was  compatibility issue with the mini-pc's.  Trying one of those might be an option too, if anyone can confirm it should pass all of those files without transcoding.  I'd rather not spend that kind of money just to "try" unless there was some first hand knowledge it would be a solution.

My third choice was to use the DLNA capabilities in the Marantz processor.  However, as best as I can figure, it won't support multi-channel flac files, as I get an invalid format error when trying to play them.  I've tried using a multi-channel DSF, but it doesn't seem like MiniDLNA will share those for streaming.

The currently used process is the Pioneer BluRay player to access via DLNA, and this does actually work functionally.  At least I know the files are good, and the DLNA program is good.  However, the interface is slow, cumbersome and a PITA to use.  

Obviously I'm looking for some other option to make this work.  I can go with flac, or DSF, but want a lossless format one way or the other to be passed bit-stream to the Marantz processor.  I can share via Plex, or MiniDLNA.  I'd actually like to find another DLNA program that runs on unRAID but thus far haven't turned up anything.  MiniDLNA works, but gets temperamental and has to be re-started sometimes to be visible. The files are on an NTFS network shared drive so that is a viable means of access.   

I do have an older Dune D1 and was thinking I might be able to access the shared drive that way.  I THINK it would play so that might be next on my list.  

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

I use a dune H1 to play my multichannel files. I just created a network shared folder on my NAS. Ethernet cable into Dune, hdmi into my AVR, hdmi into TV. Browse to folder in the Dune. Plays all of my multichannel flac files no problem. I don’t use any media server on my NAS as the Dune plays most files natively. Only problem is you need Tv on to browse folders. Unless you use some kind of app. Surely the shield should work the same as it supports a lot of audio codecs. Have you checked the settings in plex/shield to see if there is a setting to pass files without transcoding. If I were you I wouldn’t use plex to play music only movies. 

17 hours ago, bruny said:

I use a dune H1 to play my multichannel files. I just created a network shared folder on my NAS. Ethernet cable into Dune, hdmi into my AVR, hdmi into TV. Browse to folder in the Dune. Plays all of my multichannel flac files no problem. I don’t use any media server on my NAS as the Dune plays most files natively. Only problem is you need Tv on to browse folders. Unless you use some kind of app. Surely the shield should work the same as it supports a lot of audio codecs. Have you checked the settings in plex/shield to see if there is a setting to pass files without transcoding. If I were you I wouldn’t use plex to play music only movies. 

I'll give the Dune a try this weekend.  Imagining it will functionally be fine, probably better than the Pioneer solution.

I'd still like to figure a way to do it through Plex.  I've checked all the settings and when I force it to "directly play" (no transcoding), the Shield drops out.  Everyone I've spoke with (via forms) says it "should" work, but there is nothing in print that says specifically a multi-channel flac will work.

9 hours ago, TODDCA said:

Everyone I've spoke with (via forms) says it "should" work, but there is nothing in print that says specifically a multi-channel flac will work.

This is typical.  Multichannel streaming and file playback is not a front-burner consideration for almost all hardware/software developers and, generally, one must try things out for one's self or find someone else who has done it. 

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile