IGNORED

Pink Faun 2.16

I started with REW and a USB mic, miniDSP UMIK-1.  I made and tweaked a few filters and they did help with my symmetrical layout and further smoothed a bass peak.

I then made measurements and sent them to Thierry at HAF https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/

I would not waste your time trying to do it yourself.  Thierry has created an algorithm that beats it handily.  Check it out, he's great to work with...I've made enough changes since I had them done, everything but the room and the speakers has changed that I'm going to have him tune them again once the PF is totally settled.

Regarding Roon and HQP.  The lousy integration or the limit of the ALSA driver caused me to not use HQP much, if at all.  I use both speakers and 2 different sets of phones, so different DSP settings are required and I use 4 different zones Roon. 

It's too much of a pain in the ass to try and switch settings and zones in Roon with HQP without it crashing or requiring a restart of OS so ALSA can work.  I also found that while it sounds different, maybe a touch better, I couldn't pick it out in a blind test.  I might test it from time to time but normally I don't run HQP.  It's too fiddly and I'm a moderate tweaker-type but this is simply too much on the Linux platform to be worth the effort, for me.  

I've also found that upsampling does nothing to improve the sound with the PF, again for me.

Thanks for the info. Enough for me to get started with. This should be an interesting experience.

If you find Anna Netrebko in the Baden Baden recording good, you may like her “La Traviata” work in Vienna with Rolando Villazon and the Wiener Philharmoniker. It’s a very good live recording and one of my favorite works of hers.Sorry no pic, having difficulty uploading pics from iPad. It on Tidal.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

After using the Pink Faun 2.16x for a few months now, I decided to write a review to put more info into the internet as there is very little to be found by Google search. It's mostly about the hardware and choices made by the Pink Faun team and my particular version of it.

Found here..

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=862221

A little later, I do a listening review with different setups and perhaps a comparison with the Antipodes CxEx system.

• 4 weeks later...

flkin,

How are things?  Are you still using HQPlayer?  My server is fully burned in and sounding fantastic, currently I'm not upsampling in Roon nor using HQPlayer.  I'll try it again soon but I didn't care for the trouble HQP and Roon integration caused when switching settings like DSP and convolution.

Hi lpost, things are just great, thanks for asking. Good to hear your PF is running smoothly, it really does begins to sound fantastic after burning in. In my experience it continues to improve over time for as long as 3 months.

I was experimenting with HQP and even Roon upsampling in combination with different external clocks but at the 3.5 month mark, I'm finding it's a toss up between Roon direct or HQP upsampled to DSD64 (not higher). For former I find more natural, engaging and very organic and the latter better focus, tighter bass. I trying to come to just one filter setting but can't seem to conclude. One thing though, I've stopped using external clocks and not missing it too much. That's a good sign that the internal PF clocks are doing their job well.

I ended up getting the miniDSP UMIK-1 you suggested some time back and plan to start trying out convolution when I find some time. I suspect the contribution to balanced sounds will come from here far more than other tweaks. Would you suggest to use the Roon convolution option or the one offered in HQP?

I just wish I could do it through the Roon interface.  Can I use convolution via Roon and output via HQP?  I'm running embedded, ALSA.

It's been a couple months since I used HQP but I remember ALSA really not liking when I switch to or from HQP to Roon native.  I had to reboot to get sound to flow through ALSA.  Does this sound normal?

I just loaded up HQP daemon, set it up in Roon, selected the zone...trying to play a song...nothing.  I reboot the Core running HQP embedded, now music appears to play in Roon but the time just skips along in 5 second blocks and no music plays.  

What do I have setup wrong?

Thanks.

Thanks, that’s actually what I had set .  My dac upsamples to 20x dsd and I’ve never really heard any substantial benefit with hqp.

i changed to upsample settings in hqp and got sound but then I tried loading my convolution wavs, I don’t see a place to load more than one set at a time, then trying to play music hqp pegged a core and crashed Roon appliance.  I had to hard boot to recover.

it’s these tweaks and quirks and lack of auditory improvement that reminds me why I prefer the simplicity of Roon native.

I figured out I had a 48khz file playing first and that's why the non-upsamle didn't work.  Playing 44k first and all is good.  I'll have to listen to this for a few weeks and switch back and decide. 

It sure sounds like convolution in Roon still work as expected with HQP.  No?

Whatever I try and load in convolution in HQP causes it to stop responding, pegging a core at 100%.  SSH session dies and I can't reconnect until I hard boot the 2.16.  Clearly this isn't normal.

23 hours ago, lpost said:

Can I use convolution via Roon and output via HQP?

You can do that too, I believe all of Roon's DSP functionalities should work with output to HQP.

It's been a couple months since I used HQP but I remember ALSA really not liking when I switch to or from HQP to Roon native.  I had to reboot to get sound to flow through ALSA.  Does this sound normal?

Yes, it is normal. You can use either one, but not easily switch. Both take exclusive access of the audio device for good reasons. If you use HQPlayer, you cannot have the same audio device enabled at Roon side too, they would have a fight over the device.

What do I have setup wrong?

That is a bit hard to say without knowing configuration of both Roon and HQP...

21 hours ago, lpost said:

Whatever I try and load in convolution in HQP causes it to stop responding, pegging a core at 100%.

Are you trying to load mono WAV's or something else?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Re: convolution filters, yep, mono WAVs.  I find they work just as I'd hoped when loaded into Roon.  So I'll just run that way and not bother with why HQP isn't happy with them.

Thanks for the other answers.  I've got embedded updated via commands Jord sent me.  

I'm experimenting with the differing filters.  I'm using I2S out of the 2.16 into PS Audio DSD, so limited to 192PCM but finding I do like some of the filters better than non-upsampling mode.

4 minutes ago, lpost said:

Re: convolution filters, yep, mono WAVs.  I find they work just as I'd hoped when loaded into Roon.  So I'll just run that way and not bother with why HQP isn't happy with them.

If you can email me one of the problematic ones, I could take a look...

5 minutes ago, lpost said:

I'm using I2S out of the 2.16 into PS Audio DSD, so limited to 192PCM but finding I do like some of the filters better than non-upsampling mode.

Doing upsampling just to 192k PCM is a good start since first step is the most critical one.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I've just updated my HQPlayer in the Pink Faun to the latest version 4.4.0-1 with even more filters including the new closed-form and sync filters. I think my old version was 4.1

Not an easy process for lay person but doable. Here is the process I used in my Mac and it works. 

In Mac, launch Terminal

ssh [email protected],  password: *** (the xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address of the PF)

yaourt -Sy

password ***

Ignore errors, repeat a few times to ensure all done

After the packages are done upgrade HQPlayer with  yaourt -S hqplayer-embedded

When asked about Edit PKGBUILD ? [Y/n] ("A" to abort), choose Y (perhaps can choose N as we don’t need to edit)

Ctrl + W to write package

Ctrl + X to exit (maybe need ctrl+W twice first)

When asked Edit hqplayer-embedded.install ? [Y/n] ("A" to abort) choose N

When asked Continue building hqplayer-embedded ? [Y/n] choose Y

Takes around 10 min. Ends with question to continue installing HQP embedded. Choose Y

Enter password ***

Reboot streamer by switching off and remove power cord 10sec.

For the passwords, please message me privately.

Or ask Jord to TeamViewer in and do it for you.

Has anyone else here got any experience with high end servers besides flkin?

I would like to know relative difference between PF2.16 vs say Macmini MMK/ Antipodes/Aurender/Melco/InnuosMk2SE etc.

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

• 3 weeks later...