IGNORED

Is anyone using IsoAcoustics Iso Pucks?

• 1 month later...

I used to have an office down the hall from a P3 lab (which they did NOT tell me)...

BTW, the usual idea with box speakers is to use sharp points to prevent them from moving and hence creating a Doppler Effect; these things seem opposite to that

oh hey - buy my Beats headphonies and you can use them to isolate yourself from noise

ok, this was long ago and far away...  they were either free or cheap then, and one day we were sittin' around smoking dope and wondering what to do, so I said "Let's take the medcats!  just for fun."  So we did.  Neither of us had plans to go to med school (grad school instead).

I worked down thru the questions and then put my pencil down and stretched.  I noticed that the other test takers were shocked and horrified.  Several sections and people freaked out when I stopped working early on each section.

I dunno if my buddy did the same but he ultimately did go to med school and wound up at Cleveburg Clinic.

On 7/30/2018 at 10:58 AM, Ralf11 said:

BTW, the usual idea with box speakers is to use sharp points to prevent them from moving and hence creating a Doppler Effect; these things seem opposite to that

My floor standers are floating - which is definitely opposite to that ?

IMG_3483.thumb.jpg.b19f66e1cd212a41b9b2f798ba288a60.jpg

46 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

the same as what many MDs fantasize about having...

HAHAHAHA, that made me chuckle. 

45 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

wantareal Porsche - have you tested those against spikes?

no dog in this fight as I have Maggies

Hey now, a GT4 is a real Porsche!  :)

No electron left behind.

Dunno - I'd pick something cheap and then move on up until I detected no improvement to IM 

I guess the test music should be loud and bass heavy to maximize box movement

(maybe ask your surgical buddies which Led Zep tracks they like to jam to in the OR)

When I had Vandersteens I had some long spikes with screw heads on the other end - can't recall if they came with the V's or not - I sold them in 1994 so it's been a while

The material they are digging in to may be more important that the type of spike.  Best would be to drill some really big bolts into El Capitan and epoxy them in.

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

wantareal Porsche - have you tested those against spikes?

no dog in this fight as I have Maggies

I put them on years ago based on a hunch. I had read a lot from Barry Diament about floating speakers for SQ and I had a problem with bass resonances upsetting my downstairs neighbors whether the speakers were spiked or just sitting on the carpeted floor. My hunch paid off as the floating immediately fixed my neighbor problem.

I didn't notice any obvious difference at the time but my setup wasn't anywhere as revealing as it is now. It would be interesting to do a comparison but I'm not overly keen due to the speakers being heavy b*****s and spiking isn't a long term option due to my situation.

I'm working on the theory that if it's good enough for a renowned mastering engineer, then it's good enough for me. Ignorance is bliss ?

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Well, the speakers are sitting on a solid, heavy bamboo cutting board from IKEA, on their Iso-Acoustics pucks that, according to Iso-Acoustics eliminate all lateral movement.  I suppose it won't hurt to try though.

I suggest trying to put the iso-pucks underneath of the Ikea cutting board and then spike the speakers to the ikea board. 

This is what I’m doing for my Martin Logan electrostat towers. I’ve decided that spiking to the cutting board allows the vibrations to travel out of the speakers and into the cutting boards, and then the iso-pucks then isolate the boards from allowing the vibrations coming from the speakers to resonate to the floor with in my case prior to doing this, was causing muddy low end since my floor is not a solid foundation like a cement subfloor, etc (I’m on a second floor of a building built in 1707!!! ) - I think my experiment has improved and tightened the low end and improved imaging, etc. (And it was cheap compared to IsoAcoustics Gia’s or stillpoints :)