IGNORED

Wi-Fi extender

Hi there,

Just got my microRendu with iFi PS and I’m already amazed at the difference I can hear in my system. 

My current setup is the microRendu connected to an Airport Express Wi-Fi extender. 

I know this can be controversial, but here it goes: does the quality of the Ethernet cable from the Airport Express to the MR influence sound quality? How about the one connecting my NAS to my router?

Or is a different power supply a better investment?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sergio 

• 4 months later...

Yes you want to use a good quality Ethernet cable.

Using a WiFi extender will lower your sound quality quite a bit. A much better option is to use a HomePlug adapter.

We have had very good luck with this one.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-ethernet-Adapter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUICG

If that doesn't work for you at least get a "mesh" network. There are much better then network extenders.

The Ethernet from your NAS to your router doesn't make much of a difference.

A Linear power supply for the micoRendu would be a good upgrade.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

Think about it this way:  you have a digital side - and an analog side (after the DAC).  The job of the digital side is to get the bits of your music delivered ("bit perfect") (& maybe with low jitter).  Once that is done: mission accomplished.

The DAC. and the analog side in general, need to be isolated from any noise.  EM noise could arrive thru the air (radiated noise), or can be transmitted along a cable (USB or Ethernet), or even be sent via the AC line (mains).  Those routes need to be taken care of so the noise is below human hearing (and below any level that could eff up your electronics).

And good, in-spec Ethernet cable will be fine.  Ethernet has transformers that greatly attenuate any noise.  While it is possible to get parasitic leakage in any transformer (via magnetic fields generated), a good transformer will not be much of a problem in Ethernet.  For the very most expensive systems at super high quality sound reproduction, you may want to reduce that noise source more.

Search here for ClearFog as a low cost way to provide absolute isolation of noise transmission from cables.  But your WiFi is fine.  The microrendu is designed to solve a lot of problems - they have more thorough 'solutions' for more $$.