IGNORED

noob question: spotify connect with just a PC

If I have a PC connected to a USB DAC (and onwards to the rest of the playback chain) and the PC has the spotify app running, can I simple use Spotify connect (running on say a phone/tablet) to control spotty on the PC?

When I read about Spotify connect it appears that when using a PC running the spotify app, there must be a spotify connect certified end-point such as chromecast which in my case would end up being phone -> PC -> endpoint->pre-amp->amp (ie bypasses the DAC).

Is this true or can it simply be phone->PC which then replays via the USB DAC?

Seems stupid if you are forced to use an endpoint...when the PC can output via the DAC.

Thanks,

Peter

On 6/3/2018 at 6:52 PM, ricko01 said:

If I have a PC connected to a USB DAC (and onwards to the rest of the playback chain) and the PC has the spotify app running, can I simple use Spotify connect (running on say a phone/tablet) to control spotty on the PC?

When I read about Spotify connect it appears that when using a PC running the spotify app, there must be a spotify connect certified end-point such as chromecast which in my case would end up being phone -> PC -> endpoint->pre-amp->amp (ie bypasses the DAC).

Is this true or can it simply be phone->PC which then replays via the USB DAC?

Seems stupid if you are forced to use an endpoint...when the PC can output via the DAC.

Thanks,

Peter

Just install Spotify App on both PC and smartphone. Now you can use the phone as control point and PC as end point. And vice versa, the PC can be control point and the phone as end point. That's the beauty of spotify.

• 2 months later...
On 6/5/2018 at 9:03 AM, chauphuong said:

Just install Spotify App on both PC and smartphone. Now you can use the phone as control point and PC as end point. And vice versa, the PC can be control point and the phone as end point. That's the beauty of spotify.

As a new Spotify premium subscriber I have found this behavior to be odd:

1. I have my Spotify connect end point chosen as "Bridge II" (PS Audio Direct Stream DAC) and I am controlling it from my iPad. If I forget to quit my iMac Spotify App, the volume control I had set on the iMac is used by the Bridge II.
  2. Choosing the endpoint on the iPad seems backward to me. You have to first play a song locally on the iPad, then you have to dig deep into the app to find "Devices" and choose the Bridge II. Why can't you just choose the endpoint ahead before you start playing music?

Am I missing something or is this intentional?

@The Computer Audiophile I looked for an "Official" Spotify thread but could not find any. Perhaps...?

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham.