IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 for Windows (Official Thread)

image.thumb.png.1b6bcf467c77e2f915376d36f7c4c94d.png

Large library lag is now gone, thank the stars for that one! Resizing windows now works quickly, memory used is 0.554 Mb, CPU time is less than 0.4 %. The new version uses the same database as before, didn't need to rebuild that one.

Currently mobile, DAC is a Sony PHA-3 (Senn PXC450) using the ASIO driver. Leaving the upsampling well alone, cause upsampling to DSD128, makes the mouse even crawl to molasses. What I do hear though compared to JRiver is tighter and more pronounced bass, better detail on reverb. Overall a more engaging sound, I'll be home in 48 hours, so will try again on the main system. If the sound is better, I can dump Roon, but a remote control is essential rather than mess with RealVNC. 

Am confident Audirvana can be installed on WinServer2016.

Back to usability issue.... where's the now playing button that brings you back to the album listing? Using the < button to navigate.

As far as a stripped down version is concerned, the items are missing are AU plugins as I can see. Upsampling uses SoX and usual power of two, quad or custom, DSD. I don't use Tidal or Qobuz, so can't comment on that although access is available. 

Of interest will be the uPNP streaming ability to very modest audio equipment eg Radios. And where's the remote? Even on iOS is OK.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 7/15/2018 at 3:00 AM, nhtran1 said:

Can someone confirm the ios remote app controls the windows version also?

Not yet, working on it.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

On 7/13/2018 at 1:11 PM, damien78 said:

yes

1025 is much better.  Now works between formats and bit rates with the iFi ASIO driver. 

And with FLAC and DXD files with the NADAC. 

Still having problems with DSD files on the NADAC ASIO driver. 

You may need to chat with the Merging Technologies folks to see what the issue is there. 

On 7/13/2018 at 8:59 AM, Jud said:

I didn't see if anyone answered this.  What sort of settings are you looking for?

I don't have the Mac version, so just guessing.

Like changing the look....colors, skin. Being able to sort albums, artists etc. Basically just more control on how the program behaves.

Sorry if this sounds like I am being a jerk, and I really do hope this works out in the long run....and I might even check it out down the road. But there is no way this should have left beta.  Running JRiver ASIO with no DSP's etc, sounds exactly the same, yet JRiver is heads and tales more functional as an audio player. I cannot even make sense of how Audirvana sorts files except that it looks at my two separate audio folders under the parent Music, sorts them individually and then sorts the contents. Even that sort makes zero sense.Then there is not even a simple way to sort when viewing the artists. Jriver, Foobar, MusicBee, Roon all sort correctly.

And the kicker in all this....it crashes every singe time I close the program.

Here is the main thing. I have six days left in my trial. There is zero chance I would pay for this now in it's current state and I am not willing to pay to take a chance that this will be a suitable player for me in the long run. I just feel this is basically a pay to beta test program.

50 minutes ago, Screwdriver said:

Sorry if this sounds like I am being a jerk, and I really do hope this works out in the long run....and I might even check it out down the road. But there is no way this should have left beta.  Running JRiver ASIO with no DSP's etc, sounds exactly the same, yet JRiver is heads and tales more functional as an audio player. I cannot even make sense of how Audirvana sorts files except that it looks at my two separate audio folders under the parent Music, sorts them individually and then sorts the contents. Even that sort makes zero sense.Then there is not even a simple way to sort when viewing the artists. Jriver, Foobar, MusicBee, Roon all sort correctly.

Here is the main thing. I have six days left in my trial. There is zero chance I would pay for this now in it's current state and I am not willing to pay to take a chance that this will be a suitable player for me in the long run. I just feel this is basically a pay to beta test program.

I like the way jriver sorts better myself, but as for sound I can hear a clear difference between the two and it's not close at all which is why I'll likely buy A+ when my trial is over with. 

4 minutes ago, vegasf1 said:

I like the way jriver sorts better myself, but as for sound I can hear a clear difference between the two and it's not close at all which is why I'll likely buy A+ when my trial is over with. 

If you hear a "clear" difference, then you are not running bit perfect. When I run both in bit perfect, there is zero sound difference.

OK, where's the command to install Audirvana totally skipping the MS runtime, since the runtime install is already on the machine and A+ can't see it's installed....

The log for the install.

'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1 (x86 and x64)' RunCheck result: Install Needed
EULA for components 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1 (x86 and x64)' was accepted.
Installation of components 'Visual C++ "14" Runtime Libraries (x64)' was accepted.
Copying files to temporary directory "C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDDE69.tmp\"
Downloading files to "C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDDE69.tmp\"
(17/07/2018 07:39:47) Downloading 'vcredist_x64\vc_redist.x64.exe' from 'https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/vc_redist.x64.exe' to 'C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDDE69.tmp\'
Download completed at 17/07/2018 07:39:49
Downloading failed with HRESULT=-2146697208

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

When do we can expect vsti for win version. first i need dirac live inside audirvana....

thanks 

MacBook Pro/ WS2019/AO /Roon & HAF - AudioPC ; Mutec mc-3+ usb - Yggdrasil - Ragnarok - Ecouton LQL 200 ; IMac/win10&AO Roon Core - ControlPC

17 hours ago, Screwdriver said:

I don't have the Mac version, so just guessing.

Like changing the look....colors, skin. Being able to sort albums, artists etc. Basically just more control on how the program behaves.

So far Damien has not done much with the Mac version regarding things like skinning. 

Sorting does work nicely on the Mac - I've got my sorting using 7 items of metadata in priority order (with many more possible if I wanted), and it works just the way I would like it to.  I know Damien intends to get this done for the Windows version soon. 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

16 hours ago, Screwdriver said:

I think you are right about the preliminary or testing nature of the current version. If you are not comfortable paying for the software in this state, that's absolutely understandable.  I personally am happy to contribute toward development based on Damien's track record with the Mac version, but that is my own decision.  Whatever you decide, it would be helpful for you to submit a portion of your crash log to Damien, so he can understand and fix the problem.  Thanks.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 7/16/2018 at 1:29 PM, Screwdriver said:

I am leaning this way.  It seems to have a lot of potential, but I was hoping that there would be some concession on price until it becomes useable.  At this point, I don't have much incentive to be a beta tester.  I'd probably buy it right now if it was around $40 ?

16 hours ago, Jud said:

Some of us heard differently at some point.  Of course this is subjective and unreliable, but more significant purchasing decisions have been made on less objective bases, so let us have our fun.  (There is some discussion on the Web by engineers regarding reasons for bit perfect software to sound different, including by Gordon Rankin, who popularized the async USB interface found in most modern DACs).

I agree. But, I have seen so many posts where people say one program sounds so much better than another. Turns out DSP's are running on one and the other is not.

1 hour ago, n2it said:

I am leaning this way.  It seems to have a lot of potential, but I was hoping that there would be some concession on price until it becomes useable.  At this point, I don't have much incentive to be a beta tester.  I'd probably buy it right now if it was around $40 ?

I might pay $30-40 to support the company for a version without the Tidal coupon, as it is not useful to me. I already have an account.

Trial period during a beta is almost a non starter. A program should blow me away for me to buy into it.

13 hours ago, Evo-No-Revo said:

There is no doubt that it sounds better than Roon or JRiver with my Kii Three speakers.....no doubt!

I have a request damien78.. 

When I am scrolling through the Artists tab and I click on a particular Artist, it opens the albums for that certain Artist and there are all the albums in view.  If I then click on a particular Album it opens the Album page with all the individual files to play.  If I then click the back button at the top of the page it doesn't go back to the particular Artists Albums that I was just viewing.  The page goes all the way back to the top of the main Artists page.  I now have to scroll all the way the down to the particular Artist I was just interested in and click again to see the Albums.  It would be way more convenient to be able to click the back button and go back to the same particular Artist's albums I was just viewing.... instead of starting all over viewing all the Artists again.

I am not sure where this issues lies but it is a big inconvenience.

I know that this is a mammoth project to get all the bugs worked out.  Thank you for all your awesome work A+!

Thanks for the feedback.

Following it, I've now implemented the save scroll position feature so that when going back to a local playlist/local library, it directly scrolls to the position you were before. This will be in the next release.

Regarding the specific issue you're mentioning, is it for local library Artists (you start with the Artists page with Library selected)?

I don't have this issue here. It always goes back to the artist's albums...

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

This will be my last post on this as my trial expires in two days.

Got an update this morning. 1.0.0 (1026)

Well library update is quite a bit faster then it was. Program still crashes when closing, even after a full uninstall/reinstall.

My biggest issue. Artists are sorted like someone grabbed all my files and randomly threw them in a bucket. This is a example of how they are sorted.

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messangers

Muddy Waters

Bob Dylan

Nick Lowe

Carly Simon

Roon, MusicBee, Foobar2000 and JRiver all sort correctly. 

Now I know my tags are not perfect, but this is crazy. Been trying to fix some of the tags, but I cannot even find a common issue that would cause Audirvana to sort this way. Plus, when I make changes, it won't auto update. Changes don't show even after a restart. Only a refresh in settings, which still takes a couple minutes, will show the change.

Anyhow, good luck.

Artists are sorted using the sort name tag. This is to be able to sort by last name first, to sort without placing all the "the …" at the T letter, …

When such a tag does not exist in the files metadata, the artist name is used for it.

In your case this looks like the sort name in some artists is messed up.

You can see and change it for such artist by opening the metadata editor (tag shape button rightmost of the window), and then open the artist (this also shows the artist albums). You'll see two lines in the metadata editor: artist name, and "sort as" (second line) giving the artist sort name.

51 minutes ago, damien78 said:

Artists are sorted using the sort name tag. This is to be able to sort by last name first, to sort without placing all the "the …" at the T letter, …

When such a tag does not exist in the files metadata, the artist name is used for it.

In your case this looks like the sort name in some artists is messed up.

You can see and change it for such artist by opening the metadata editor (tag shape button rightmost of the window), and then open the artist (this also shows the artist albums). You'll see two lines in the metadata editor: artist name, and "sort as" (second line) giving the artist sort name.

I understand....but, if you want new Windows users to jump on board and they test it coming from any of the programs I mentioned. They will have the same issue I am having. Paying $80 US for a program that does not sort as well as, well pretty much every other program. It will turn people off. Even with the other issues, if it had sorted as well as JRiver, MusicBee, Roon and Foobar2000, I would have easily paid.