IGNORED

MacMini (2014) with Windows 2016 Server Core

Hi,  

to whom it may concern:

Managed to install Windows 2016 Server Core on my Mac Mini (2014) today. One of the ISO files needs to be split with command DISM because it is bigger than 4GB (FAT 32 limitation). After that installation works fine. 

Boot Camp drivers for Windows 10 are being used. Apple bootcamp.exe does not work in Core mode, but that has been like this with 2012 R2 already. However, it does no longer complain about a missing dll after running AO and I can still boot into MacOS but that won't hardly ever be necessary.

Because of the strict limitations of a pure Core installation (no GUI, almost no apps) I had to get used to command line setup of the Server once again. That was a lot of fun and the Internet explains it in all details (sconfig, Powershell, Diskpart). It took my a couple of hours to work through all the nitty gritty details but in the end it works the way I wanted it (remote access, smb shares etc.). Had to waste one AO key as I did not want to care more about Device Manager after one round of Windows Updates. I am keeping it to "download only" to avoid surprises.

AO then does the rest and all set ready to go.

Results in a nutshell:

This MacMini has been running various versions of OSX in the past. Then Server 2012 R2 together with Audiophile Optimizer lifted the Mini to a different level.

Now with 2016 Server Core I have to say that right out of the box it again sounds a lot better than 2012 R2. I did not expect that but it happens.

I am running Roon Server and HQ Player als shell replacement - but for best audio quality - only HQP directly.

Best

Chris

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

Hi Phil,

you are welcome. Need a hint from you maybe:

I had to go back to the GUI Version once more (re-installation) because I could not connect to ROON from the remote to the core.

However, remote access seemed to be working, I had run AO in ultimate with conservative settings but ROON remote always stopped at "initializing". So something was wrong, I spend hours figuring it out, no way, and so I found a more drastic but efficient way.

I held my new network setup (all Unifi with USG) for the culprit and in order to rule that out, I did a fresh install of Windows 2016 GUI yesterday and wrote down every single step I took during installation and setup of the server. After AO installation and optimization Roon found the core immediately it has been running without any hiccups so far.

These are the areas of applied changes from myself during GUI installation that I will need to focus on during my next attempt of a Core installation:

• Network will be "public" and needs to be revised to "private" ( however, also did that on my first Core attempt, but must be done under "local security policy" for all and with "User can change"). 
  • There are two unknown devices that Apple does not have Win10 drivers for, need to be deactivated (bluetooth stack and WLAN)
  • Set fixed IP, Gateway and DNS (causes an error message under GUI as well, but works after reboot. Fixed IP also set in the router)
  • There are few Windows 2016 updates that need to be installed, and they take really long. Patience required and avoiding system changes or reboots.

Core installation problem: Main issue was I had not set a fixed IP in the Server right away but only on the Router side. Don't know why but at some point during Core Setup I could access the network adapter through Sconfig anymore, error message popped up wrong list or table or something like that. 

But before that the public/private thing seems to be important and really needs to be enabled sure through local policy settings which I need to find for Powershell first.

I did not touch anything else during GUI setup and it is all up and running. But I sure want to have Core running as it sounds way better. I could test it with HQ Player through remote access before resetting the system. So, there we go, another round of installation will be required.

Phil, is there anything I am overlooking for the next attempt Core installation?

Chris

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus