IGNORED

How much does it cost to be an audiophile?

12 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Because that doesn’t tell anyone anything. You could say: if the sound is like X then try A or B but if the sound is like Y then try C. 

Or or you could hook the car into diagnostics ...

But just telling us that when a car comes in you tune it doesn’t tell us anything useful. 

It's more than tuning - you listening for the sound to be specifically faulty. I never have the intention of making the sound "better"; I'm aware that the sound is "wrong" - and I know, from experience, that some aspect of the rig not functioning properly is the cause of that - it has never been because it was, a "bad" recording!!

Just take the classic issue of irritating sibilance - this is a symptom if ever there was one - you use a recording for which this is really bad as a guide to progress - how close are you to completely eliminating this anomaly?

17 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

yep,

Everybody should play golf to hit hole- in-ones.If you want to know how, its all in the way that you hit it.  What way? Well silly, that way that gets the ball in the hole, that way. If you hit it the wrong way, the way that doesn't grok it, well it doesn't work, the ball doesn't go in. I have seen so many golfers with fancy rigs that couldn't hit the ball in the hole. You must do it the grok it way, the way that works, the way that gets the ball in the hole. That way, you know, the way that works. That way. The way that works, you know, grok it ?

Ummm, I thought the idea was to lower one's handicap - work on that part of your game which makes you end up with a lousy scorecard, most days. And if you keep refining "the way" you could end up like Tiger Woods ... ... ow, ow, scratch that thought, right there!

Competent sound is not hole-in-one stuff - there would be far more of it around if people hadn't got so worked up about having a mix 'n' match environment to play in ... excuse me! I want you to build me a car using a Porsche engine, Ferrari suspension, Mercedes body, etc - just bolt all the bits together, somehow.

18 hours ago, Jud said:

Hi George - Yes, I'm familiar.  The point is this: The Stanford-Binet and all other IQ tests are comprised of tests on different subjects.  Here's what Stanford-Binet says:

"The test is comprised of four sections: Short-Term Memory, Quantitative Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning, and Abstract/Visual Reasoning."

The scores on the individual test sections are then run through a statistical tool that tells you what part of your scores on the individual sections was due to a "general factor" of mental acuity, your IQ, which is supposed to then apply across *all* mental tasks.  The problem is that this statistical tool will always find that a portion of your score is due to a "general factor," and not simply to how well you can do the problems posed by these particular test-makers in the four specific test sections.  As I mentioned a while ago, you could participate in the Olympic decathlon and the Pillsbury Bake-Off, and this statistical tool would find that part of your score on each was due to a general aptitude that applied to decathlons, bake-offs, and any other competition you could name.  And that's what we call IQ.

Well, yes, different sections to be sure, but still only one test. That was all I was alluding to.

George

6 hours ago, gmgraves said:

If only in your head... ?

You can't have it both ways ... if I'm not getting results, then nothing that I say has any value. And at the same time being frustrated because how I go about things doesn't make sense to you ...

Most audiophiles live in a world where there are good, and bad, recordings - and they use an ambitious rig to distinguish between them ... ummm, that has got to go, if you want to make progress. The rule is, if it sounds bad, then it's because your rig is not working properly - and then it becomes trivially easy to discern where you're at.

The huge leap of faith most people can't handle is that if one steadily, incrementally sorts out all the little issues a particular rig has, then one day convincing sound will emerge. Well, neither would I if it never happened to me - but I would still be curious about the concept ... my crime is to have experienced it, and to report upon this fact. Everything else is just a sideshow ...

11 hours ago, fas42 said:

Ummm, I thought the idea was to lower one's handicap -

yeh Frank, and the way that works, reducing handicap, is to get the ball in the hole. The more hole-in-ones the lower your handicap and the more transparent and real is your game is, grok it. It is instantly apparent when you hit it right coz the ball goes in the hole. It is so simple that most golfaphiles miss this altogether, they don't grok. I have a golfer friend down the road that didnt use to grok it but now, with my guidance , he groks it. He can hit golf balls into the hole from 100m. Hell he does it with a tennis racquet....and no strings even!! I don't know why you and others don't grok it. maybe because it's just too simple and overlooked. But don't worry, I will repeat here for you endlessly until you submit...err ..grok it!

Sound Minds Mind Sound

7 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

yeh Frank, and the way that works, reducing handicap, is to get the ball in the hole. The more hole-in-ones the lower your handicap and the more transparent and real is your game is, grok it. It is instantly apparent when you hit it right coz the ball goes in the hole. It is so simple that most golfaphiles miss this altogether, they don't grok. I have a golfer friend down the road that didnt use to grok it but now, with my guidance , he groks it. He can hit golf balls into the hole from 100m. Hell he does it with a tennis racquet....and no strings even!! I don't know why you and others don't grok it. maybe because it's just too simple and overlooked. But don't worry, I will repeat here for you endlessly until you submit...err ..grok it!

Like this guy did: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/17/93-year-old-golfer-hole-in-one-ben-bender

10 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Magical Mystery Tour time again, eh? Hmmm, I must be missing the part where the top, highly paid golfers use hole-in-ones to get the job done ... consistency and not losing focus are remarkably powerful tools for getting somewhere - shame they're not used more often.

Note, you will have to keep up the holey golf story for several years to even think you're in the game ... ^_^

14 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Yes that seems reasonable, two tranquilizers for each parent, one for the doctor, and a lolly pop for the kid.?

This reminds me of my beloved but furious Corsican father. He took me to the dentist for the first time when I was about six years old. As what the dentist was doing to me, it hurt a lot, I bit and pinched him. Then he called my father and told him what I had done to him (not what he had done to me). The fight was so big that they had to intervene the police?

I understand @AudioDoctor very well ...!

Roch

Doctors can use Google too!  No need to handicap ones font of knowledge. ?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.