IGNORED

How much does it cost to be an audiophile?

2 hours ago, lucretius said:

The topic question is one for the religious, not free thinkers.

You have very entry level systems, so I can understand your desire to reject high end audio but -- you don't have to. I think you'll find reaching for the next level of audio isn't unattainable. Why not head over T.H.E. Show Newport this weekend and expand your horizons? 

8 hours ago, GUTB said:

Even though these cheaper options may be surprisingly good in some ways -- maybe even many ways -- they won't compete with the modern high-end. An experienced, ear-educated audiophile wouldn't be able to bear the audio downgrade from trading in his high end system for the "well-regarded cheap" option.

I have to say IMO there is often a strong reverse snobbery exhibited on CA. Another member described it as "pettiness" and "jealousy". I think there are extremely valid reasons that people rail against implications that expensive is better or that there is a $ entry point to audiophildom. On the other hand there are those that just get self validation through bashing audiophiles.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

7 hours ago, semente said:

I've just been listening to a $165k+ new CD based system for some 4 hours. The owner and the other visitor enjoy listening at higher levels than I do and I confess that I felt uncomfortable at times.

I must admit that this sometimes applies to me as well, but not necessarily the next part.

Although my electronics are way better than average, it does show that I should replace the bipolar electrolytic capacitors in the Crossover networks of my old DCM QED 1A speakers, as the HF impact is degraded a little compared with when new.

This kind of thing is a gradual deterioration that creeps up on you, just like with aging Vacuum Tubes.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Just now, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

A friend of mine says high-end audio is a bit like owning swimming pools and boats....best to use other peoples'.

You wouldn't want to Pee in your own swimming pool, would you ? :D

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:
7 hours ago, semente said:

The owner and the other visitor enjoy listening at higher levels than I do and I confess that I felt uncomfortable at times.

I must admit that this sometimes applies to me as well, but not necessarily the next part

Hi Alex, yes I noticed the other week that once you requested to have the volume turned down. Mind you, in the past I have recalled you asking for it turned up. In general I listen at around 70 to 76 dB showing on my SPL meter. I do crank it up for rock tho.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

8 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Hi Alex, yes I noticed the other week that once you requested to have the volume turned down. Mind you, in the past I have recalled you asking for it turned up. In general I listen at around 70 to 76 dB showing on my SPL meter. I do crank it up for rock tho.

Hi David

That wasn't directed specifically at you. My E.E. friend Ionwyn and the other David often play music at levels well above what you play yours at. Sometimes, at higher levels, the room dampening loses a little of it's effectiveness too, again, this was not directed at your listening room. It's a general observation.

Regards

Alex

7 hours ago, GUTB said:

You have very entry level systems, so I can understand your desire to reject high end audio but -- you don't have to. I think you'll find reaching for the next level of audio isn't unattainable. Why not head over T.H.E. Show Newport this weekend and expand your horizons? 

A lot of High End systems with Wilsons, Magicos, BnWs, ML CLXs, YGs, Martens I've listened to at shows sounded like rubbish... And some of them might actually have sounded quite good in better rooms with better (not more expensive) electronics; others are just high-dollar bin-linners.

Surprised?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

Hi David

That wasn't directed specifically at you. My E.E. friend Ionwyn and the other David often play music at levels well above what you play yours at. Sometimes, at higher levels, the room dampening loses a little of it's effectiveness too, again, this was not directed at your listening room. It's a general observation.

Regards

Alex

I think that you and others may have missed my point.

What SPL level was unbearably and uncomfortably loud with the £130k system sounded perfectly reasonable in my system in my 4.5x3.4m room with my mid-end system. Perhaps we (well, GUTB) need to re-evaluate which is which...

7 minutes ago, semente said:

I think that you and others may have missed my point.

What SPL level was unbearably and uncomfortably loud with the £130k system sounded perfectly reasonable in my system in my 4.5x3.4m room with my mid-end system. Perhaps we (well, GUTB) need to re-evaluate which is which...

Ricardo, are you saying your smaller room or your system or both (the interaction) was responsible for more comfortable SQ, presuming the SPL loudness levels were matched?

Not sure if I'm on the same wavelength but I have often said I can comfortably listen to the Stones on the car radio but seldom on a HiFi. That said, along with softening all the 'rough edges' the radio also loses a lot of what I like about the Stones music.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

34 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Ricardo, are you saying your smaller room or your system or both (the interaction) was responsible for more comfortable SQ, presuming the SPL loudness levels were matched?

Not sure if I'm on the same wavelength but I have often said I can comfortably listen to the Stones on the car radio but seldom on a HiFi. That said, along with softening all the 'rough edges' the radio also loses a lot of what I like about the Stones music.

+for Stones. The worse sound system the better they sound. Generalization, of course. The same for many rock albums from early seventies.

1 hour ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I'd say that for sure my system was reponsible for more comfortable high SPL and more low-level detail and better balanced response playing Farka Toure's "Ai Du". No "softening", no compression, no "rough edges", no "grain", no "glare", just a lot more realistic. My source has limitations, as do my speakers, but the amp is very good. The tiny room is concrete floor and ceiling with concrete block walls, a huge tall window behind the listener and three doors in the corners. The speakers aren't even optimally positioned because this room is the functioning family living space.

room.thumb.png.679ca7bcfd219cd89d8350222a4f7949.png

The easy way to test this is to push the system to very high levels, listen for a bit and then talk to someone sitting next to you. A very good system (read low distortion) will make you go "wow I didn't see that coming" (to paraphrase the other currently running topic).

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

+for Stones. The worse sound system the better they sound. Generalization, of course. The same for many rock albums from early seventies.

Nope. That's exactly the sort of music I use for fine tuning a setup - because the slightest variation from optimum is disturbingly obvious. An album I have often used is a standard release of the very first recording sessions they did, which is, "as rough as guts" - this is like testing the suspension of a car with a test track filled with the nastiest potholes one can devise; how well does the engineering bear up under such conditions?

Rock albums of that era are fabulous to listen to on a competent system - it makes the effort to achieve the latter worth all the "pain", ^_^.

2 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

I've "measured" Ai Du for you guys:

Untitled-1.thumb.png.c201a1441322e92fdd74072d10999f02.png

7 minutes ago, semente said:

I've "measured" Ai Du for you guys:

Untitled-1.thumb.png.c201a1441322e92fdd74072d10999f02.png

I'm not familiar with the program but does this not analyze the loudness levels/ DR for a file? I'm not sure how this demonstrates comparative loudness levels of different systems in different locations.I don't have difficulty believing you that your system sounded better than a more expensive system in a different room, just not sure how the graph demonstrates this.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

15 minutes ago, marce said:

I don't want to be an audiophile anymore, I just want to be a snob and sneer at those with lesser systems.

I find it all depressing, so depressing that I am serious I don't want to be an audiophile, I want to listen to music and a system is just a tool to achieve that, it seems being an audiophile is more about the system than the music.

I hate to repeat myself, but:

On 5/27/2018 at 6:22 PM, mansr said:

quote-audiophiles-don-t-use-their-equipm

14 minutes ago, marce said:

I don't want to be an audiophile anymore, I just want to be a snob and sneer at those with lesser systems.

I find it all depressing, so depressing that I am serious I don't want to be an audiophile, I want to listen to music and a system is just a tool to achieve that, it seems being an audiophile is more about the system than the music.

I'm not sure you should be inspired one way or another by GUTB's views, or for that matter mine or any one else. There are probably more audiophiles here that agree with you than don't. Either way if you are interested in great sound subserving great music, you remain an audiophile by my definition. Being more interested in the system than the music is like the mechanic endlessly tuning the car but never enjoying driving it.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

46 minutes ago, marce said:

Yeah, I hate audiophiles too. To be blunt, they're *so* uncultured.

Just curious, what kind of music background do you music experts have? I only have music theory/history up to RCM Grade 10 and have First-Class Honours with Distinction across the board only up to Grade 9. And then I got lazy and didn't take any ARCT theory/history classes, only sat in most of them. That really sucks by the high standard around here in CA right?