IGNORED

How much does it cost to be an audiophile?

It can be super cheap, if you have DIY skills as PeterSt alluded to - get throwaways, or real low cost second hand stuff of reasonable quality - and fix 'em!! The finished item may not have the ultimate qualities that some audiophiles lust after, like monster bass; but it could be evolved to deliver totally satisfying reproduction of all your recordings - not a bad ROI ... :).

The article had a pretty good representation of an audiophile-grade entry system ($7,500). The $45k McIntosh system seemed it would be very nice.

I used to think the average experienced audiophile has a system around $15-20k, but after that retail price poll, it seems that my guess is probably on the low end.

Another thing, audiophiles like spending big dollars I bet as much as I like visiting the dentist -- I'll do it only as a last resort.

There's a lot of non-audiophiles here who are more into class warfare than audio quality, who I don't mind personally but I feel obligated to improve the SNR of the discussion.

24 minutes ago, PleasantSounds said:

Audiophiledom is a state of mind, not the amount of gear you have collected.

If you appreciate high quality sound reproduction and are keen to pursue it, you're there. It's a journey, not a destination.

On any journey, flying first class costs money (so I am told).

My only "experience" was when my wife volunteered my 'services' to attend to a passenger on a flight. As a show of appreciation the stewards placed my wife in first class and gave her free champagne. How is that fair??

Sound Minds Mind Sound

13 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

My only "experience" was when my wife volunteered my 'services' to attend to a passenger on a flight. As a show of appreciation the stewards placed my wife in first class and gave her free champagne. How is that fair??

The question is not how is that fair but how is that relevant?

Having flown first class many times I can tell you that it’s a ripoff — you get very little for a lot of money.

1. Priority security lane. I also get this as a points member with a credit card.

2. First to board. Who cares. I get middle priority with credit card membership anyway.

3. Pre take-off drink. Who cares.

4. Larger seat. The main reason for first class. Buying two coach seats often costs less and gets you even more room.

5. De-plane quickly. Okay that’s a big plus for a frequent flier, but still not worth the cost.

First class international wide body accommodations are very nice and it’s the best way to fly overseas, but the price is completely absurd, you can often get 2 coach seats for less than half the price.

1 hour ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Last time my wife and me get free upgrade to first class on a flight from India to Emirates, Dubai airport was closed, we spent 14 hours waiting in Oman, missed our connection, and arrived to another airport instead of home airport.

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

Having flown first class many times I can tell you that it’s a ripoff — you get very little for a lot of money.

1. Priority security lane. I also get this as a points member with a credit card.

2. First to board. Who cares. I get middle priority with credit card membership anyway.

3. Pre take-off drink. Who cares.

4. Larger seat. The main reason for first class. Buying two coach seats often costs less and gets you even more room.

5. De-plane quickly. Okay that’s a big plus for a frequent flier, but still not worth the cost.

First class international wide body accommodations are very nice and it’s the best way to fly overseas, but the price is completely absurd, you can often get 2 coach seats for less than half the price.

53 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Last time my wife and me get free upgrade to first class on a flight from India to Emirates, Dubai airport was closed, we spent 14 hours waiting in Oman, missed our connection, and arrived to another airport instead of home airport.

Yep, Just like in audio, you don't always get what you pay for.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

2 minutes ago, Rexp said:

As others have said there is no minimum system cost associated with being an Audiophile, however if you want hi-end sound, amplifiers start around $10,000.

Really. Are you sure it's not at $8,999.99?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)