IGNORED

Just ordered a balanced cable for my HD800, am I wasting my money?

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, mansr said:

Not least, the additional power helps, especially with higher impedance headphones like the Sennheiser HD 800 with many headphone amps. 

Many HAs do however benefit from higher voltage supply rails, as an E.E. member of another forum from Rockhampton in Queensland recommended to me several years ago .Even a modest increase from +-15V to +-20V made a worthwhile improvement in this case.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On 6/4/2018 at 1:17 PM, Musicophile said:

This may well have been simply the most expensive plug I ever bought, but it just feels right. 

Just has to do with the market. Really high quality XLR jacks are dirt cheap because of the large market ... no go looking for a 4 pin Lemo connector which is another great smaller diameter plug for which you would need a Lemo amp out so unless custom not too useful, but goes to show the cost ... and for the Senn you are paying for the headphone side connectors and then the labor to make the cable (assuming you don't DIY) and then profit and the price really isn't terrible.

I guess the cheapest way to go would be to cut the plug off your single ended HD800 cable and attach the XLR ... so, the savings of DIY...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Just now, jabbr said:

Just has to do with the market. Really high quality XLR jacks are dirt cheap because of the large market ... no go looking for a 4 pin Lemo connector which is another great smaller diameter plug for which you would need a Lemo amp out so unless custom not too useful, but goes to show the cost ... and for the Senn you are paying for the headphone side connectors and then the labor to make the cable (assuming you don't DIY) and then profit and the price really isn't terrible.

I guess the cheapest way to go would be to cut the plug off your single ended HD800 cable and attach the XLR ... so, the savings of DIY...

The last time I used a soldering iron was at the age of 17. Not sure I'd want to repeat that experience. 

And anyway, without having done a proper A/B, I still feel having used the HD800 quite a bit since I swapped the cable that the thing sounds better than ever. Probably a delusion, but who cares as long as I'm happy with the results.

4 hours ago, Musicophile said:

And anyway, without having done a proper A/B, I still feel having used the HD800 quite a bit since I swapped the cable that the thing sounds better than ever. Probably a delusion, but who cares as long as I'm happy with the results.

it certainly looks nice in your photo, and esthetics are a valid reason for purchase (just ask an art collector)