IGNORED

Article: My Quest for a New DAC Part 1 - The Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ with Uptone JS-2 Power Supply

I am comparing a Meitner MA-1 V2 to an Ayre Codex so relative levels are an issue for me also.  My preamp, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, has 1.5 db volume increments and in listening I decided the MA-1 was 1.5 or 3.0 db louder but I found the best volume setting was one increment down, or 1.5 db down.

I then setup PCM and DSD tracks for 250 Hz and 400 Hz and played through the Codex and MA-1 and recorded the level with a sound pressure meter, a Checkmate CM-140.  I found the MA-1 3.6 db louder at 250, both PCM and DSD, and 3.4 db louder at 400 Hz.

I wonder why I prefer 1.5 db down for the MA-1 rather than 3.0 db down.  Tracks do not sound too loud.  Perhaps it is because the MA-1 sounds more dynamic.

4 minutes ago, d_elm said:

I am comparing a Meitner MA-1 V2 to an Ayre Codex so relative levels are an issue for me also.  My preamp, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, has 1.5 db volume increments and in listening I decided the MA-1 was 1.5 or 3.0 db louder but I found the best volume setting was one increment down, or 1.5 db down.

I then setup PCM and DSD tracks for 250 Hz and 400 Hz and played through the Codex and MA-1 and recorded the level with a sound pressure meter, a Checkmate CM-140.  I found the MA-1 3.6 db louder at 250, both PCM and DSD, and 3.4 db louder at 400 Hz.

I wonder why I prefer 1.5 db down for the MA-1 rather than 3.0 db down.  Tracks do not sound too loud.  Perhaps it is because the MA-1 sounds more dynamic.

Do you have an SPL meter? I have one that I bought from Radio Shack - back when such places existed. 9_9

In a pinch you can also use an app on your phone. I use the free Decibel X iOS app when I don't have the Shack meter.

7 minutes ago, mansr said:

If it's a cheap one, probably best to not exceed 1 kHz or so. The AC functions on these are only intended for 50/60 Hz mains derived quantities, but they work with somewhat higher frequencies as well (because it would take effort not to). If it's a Fluke or other proper brand, it can handle anything in the audio range.

Yes, just a cheapo one.

Measure between the + and - pins. At the DAC or with a cable between doesn't matter, just measure each contender in the same way.

Will do.

That depends. If you're looking to equalise perceived loudness (which is a must if picking a preference), you should be using a A-weighted noise. If your goal is to identify differences, use a 1 kHz tone. Bear in mind that a cheap meter might only give a good reading with sine wave inputs.

Given the cheapness of the device, probably best I stick with the 1kHz tone.

In any case, we can use the voltage measurement alongside the SPL meter readings to cross-correlate.

3 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Do you have an SPL meter? I have one that I bought from Radio Shack - back when such places existed. 9_9

In a pinch you can also use an app on your phone. I use the free Decibel X iOS app when I don't have the Shack meter.

My SPL meter is the Checkmate CM-140.  The RS meter would probably be OK to use at fixed frequencies, better than a phone app.  I chose 250 and 400 because I do not like to listen to 1k, I could put in ear plugs but there are dogs in the house right now, when I want to test.

2 minutes ago, d_elm said:

My SPL meter is the Checkmate CM-140.  The RS meter would probably be OK to use at fixed frequencies, better than a phone app.  I chose 250 and 400 because I do not like to listen to 1k, I could put in ear plugs but there are dogs in the house right now, when I want to test.

Why not just use pink noise, if you have the SPL meter?

26 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Why not just use pink noise, if you have the SPL meter?

There is a pink noise PCM  track on the Woodford CD.  I will make a DSD track and try the test again tomorrow when my wife and dogs are not here.

I'll keep my eye on this as it's a very ambitious overtaking and sounds like a winner won't be crowned until until TT 2 and Q-8 are auditioned - it's gonna be a while before they hit the market...well TT 2 for sure. QX-8 was unveiled at Munich 2017 but Charlie's sad passing in Nov seems to be the reason for the postponing?  @austinpop Can you tell me which Generation of USB and analog board does that Yggy use? Honestly, it's hard to beat when fully upgraded and considering your need for MQA is withering this should be your top DAC to beat IMHO. Not saying Terminator, QX-8 or TT 2 can't, but they are all at twice the price or higher.

Other thing I'll mention, and it's not something you'll want to hear, all of these DACs - even the Myteks and Chords (save for Mojo) - out resolve your HD800. I say this from experience, as my last two headphones were SDR modded HD800 w/Cardas Clear and Utopias w/stock cable driven by CMA800R and I didn't believe for one second all the comparisons stating that the Utopias make the HD800 sound veiled. Well unfortunately it's true. HD800 are great but the Utopias are in another league altogether. Too peaky in the 5-7kHz range and smaller soundstage with stock cable (realize you like classical so SS is important) but imaging is so precise they make HD800 sound even more diffuse and vague than was already noticeable, let alone how much more resolve they offer. It really was an eye-opener and wallet emptier but well worth it. If Utopias aren't for you look at Abyss Phi.

I just know that pairing the DACs you're looking at with HD800 is, for lack of better a word, wasteful. Timbre and tone will be easy to discern but technicalities like layering, separation, imaging precision, etc will be very difficult indeed. Sorry : )

14 minutes ago, natemact said:

I'll keep my eye on this as it's a very ambitious overtaking and sounds like a winner won't be crowned until until TT 2 and Q-8 are auditioned - it's gonna be a while before they hit the market...well TT 2 for sure. QX-8 was unveiled at Munich 2017 but Charlie's sad passing in Nov seems to be the reason for the postponing?  @austinpop Can you tell me which Generation of USB and analog board does that Yggy use? Honestly, it's hard to beat when fully upgraded and considering your need for MQA is withering this should be your top DAC to beat IMHO. Not saying Terminator, QX-8 or TT 2 can't, but they are all at twice the price or higher.

The Yggy I heard does not have the USB Gen 5 nor the Analog 2 upgrades. I am sure they serve to make it an even more outstanding DAC. If the Yggy had the format support I need, it would be a serious contender for me. However, as i've stated quite clearly, I have a large collection of DSD music, and a growing collection of DXD. Neither format is handled natively in the Yggy. So yes - it is a great DAC. Just not for me.

Other thing I'll mention, and it's not something you'll want to hear, all of these DACs - even the Myteks and Chords (save for Mojo) - out resolve your HD800. I say this from experience, as my last two headphones were SDR modded HD800 w/Cardas Clear and Utopias w/stock cable driven by CMA800R and I didn't believe for one second all the comparisons stating that the Utopias make the HD800 sound veiled. Well unfortunately it's true. HD800 are great but the Utopias are in another league altogether. Too peaky in the 5-7kHz range and smaller soundstage with stock cable (realize you like classical so SS is important) but imaging is so precise they make HD800 sound even more diffuse and vague than was already noticeable, let alone how much more resolve they offer. It really was an eye-opener and wallet emptier but well worth it. If Utopias aren't for you look at Abyss Phi.

This has not been my experience. I'll make 2 points here:

1. You're right, soundstage and imaging is really important to me. So far, I have yet to find a headphone that I like better than the HD800. Not for lack of looking, believe me! I've had the Utopia in my system for an extended loan, and while there are aspects of this headphone I love, it just doesn't do classical as well as I'd like. Ditto for the Abyss Phi, sadly. The only one I truly lust after is the Sennheiser HE-1. Yup, the $60k one. 9_9 
  2. I strongly disagree with you when you say: "all of these DACs - even the Myteks and Chords (save for Mojo) - out resolve your HD800." I'm sorry, that has not been my experience at all. Remember - I've had far better DACs in my system like the Ayre QX-5, and the HD800 allowed their quality to shine through. Trust me, the with the right amplification (and the Cavalli LAu is truly end-game), the HD800 scales up very well with sources.

I just know that pairing the DACs you're looking at with HD800 is, for lack of better a word, wasteful. Timbre and tone will be easy to discern but technicalities like layering, separation, imaging precision, etc will be very difficult indeed. Sorry : )

I beg to disagree. That's OK - different systems, different ears - different opinions.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rajiv for this insightful review from another headphone user, in my case the LCD XC. I also use the original Brooklyn DAC. This has the same board as the Manhattan and when powered with a good supply such as the JS2 it can get very close to the the pricier DAC. Mytek have been a bit sneaky IMO with the Brooklyn+ with a few lower spec components than those in the Manhattan II, thus ensuring any power supply upgrade will not exceed the performance of their premier DAC. Looking forward to reading your review of the Manhattan II.

Another DAC that is making a lot of waves is the Holo Audio Spring- Kitsune, Don't know if you've considered that or have already auditioned it and ruled it out.

Here's to many more great reviews to come.

Alec

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2018 at 4:51 PM, soares said:

Fine review indeed. I loved it.

As the Brooklyn+ and the Chord Qutest could be seen as competitors, I would see the interest of many people to have the later also reviewed.  Cheers.

amen!  i am seriously considering to try the qutest, and many suggest it comes very close to the highly acclaimed DAVE which will never be in my budget.  If i wanted to try any new dac today, it would be the qutest, and secondly the one you did mention, the ifi idsd pro.  The mytek's have great reviews already, but are "relatively old" now....would also love to see you try the LKM and see if you feel it lives up to they hype.

5 hours ago, David Young said:

Excellent review! Regarding your PS ranking, were you using the stock DC cable that came with each when making the comparisons? I've been shocked at how much the DC cable can have on the musical impact of a PS. Thank you!

Indeed! I too have found DC cables to matter.

The DC cables I used were already optimized for the PSU's. After much experimentation in the past with starquad, JSSG, etc, I have found silver UPOCC cables to sound best in general. So here are the cables that were used with the various PSUs:

• SR-4: Paul Hynes's DC3FSXLR silver cable
  • LPS-1.2: Audio Sensibility Silver Signature 7N UPOCC silver cable
  • sPS-500: SOtM Stranded 7N UPOCC silver cable
  • JS-2: both the stock Uptone Belden starquad cable, and the Audio Sensibility cable.

I am aware of all the recent DIY experiments going on with POE injectors, JSSG 360 etc, and will certainly experiment with these once the dust settles a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review!  But seriously, put the spl meter away, it's a waist of time.  Just use steady tones, 1kHz is standard, and measure across the outputs with a good load like 20kOhms.  Don't use pink noise, it varies too much for a meter to track.  Well, some can but steady tones yield far more precision and accuracy.  I suggest you get a desktop, AC-powered unit if you'll be testing a lot, because it will be very stable and can do better tests, especially any involving low frequencies.  Meters are also wonderful for measuring noise and for testing continuity to check the resistance of ground connections.

Be sure to keep some simple runs of fairly thick (20ga or lower) wire; you can solve nearly any ground loop just by connecting chassis almost at random until the noise suddenly dies... vastly better and safer than cheater plugs.    

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the review. I owned a Brooklyn DAC+ for a year and replaced it with a Schiit Yggdrasil A2.

The USB input and switching power supply on the Brooklyn are marginal in my experience. In order to make the DAC+ even approach the SQ from the Yggy A2 playing PCM over USB you need to add an external LPS (minimum cost $375 for an Sbooster) and a Schiit Eitr ($179) to clean up the USB. Now cost is up to $2750 ($3300 if you buy the Uptone JS-2 LPS instead.)

The Yggdrasil Analog 2 I now own sounds better than the DAC+ on PCM and is an excellent value at $2399, especially considering the fully modular architecture which can be upgraded and 5 year warranty.

The DAC+ tries to be the 'Swiss Army Knife' with a phono stage, built in head amp (about as good as last years' Magni), MQA and DSD processing while the Yggdrasil A2 just does PCM at a very high level with no add-ons required.