IGNORED

Article: My Quest for a New DAC - Introduction to the Series

I agree 100% with ElviaCaprice’s recommendation of the Chord TT2. It may prove to be priced above your budget but I would think that it would be well worth extending yourself financially(if you can/are willing to) for the TT2. Assuming that you’re still in the pre-end game phase of gear purchasing, I could see you at some point down the road slowly starting to save up funds for an as yet announced/priced standalone M scalar. I can personally attest that Blu2Dave sounds great via headphones sans a separate headphone amp when listening to DSD converted to PCM via the M scalar(and, of course, when listening to straight PCM). No, it doesn’t do MQA, so you would need to decide for yourself just how important MQA is to your system needs. 

Whatever you decide, I’m enjoying the invitation to ride along with your journey.

22 minutes ago, esimms86 said:

I agree 100% with ElviaCaprice’s recommendation of the Chord TT2. It may prove to be priced above your budget but I would think that it would be well worth extending yourself financially(if you can/are willing to) for the TT2. Assuming that you’re still in the pre-end game phase of gear purchasing, I could see you at some point down the road slowly starting to save up funds for an as yet announced/priced standalone M scalar. I can personally attest that Blu2Dave sounds great via headphones sans a separate headphone amp when listening to DSD converted to PCM via the M scalar(and, of course, when listening to straight PCM). No, it doesn’t do MQA, so you would need to decide for yourself just how important MQA is to your system needs. 

Whatever you decide, I’m enjoying the invitation to ride along with your journey.

I am indeed very intrigued by the potential M-Scaler/TT2 combo. A lot depends on when they are both out and available, and what their price points will be in USD. The 2 key things that intrigue me most about this combo are:

1. could the TT2's robust headphone output, and claimed vanishingly low output impedance yield performance to equal or exceed my near-endgame Cavalli LAu amp? If so, the sale of the Cavalli could mitigate some of the cost. Some, not all!
  2. this combo may be the siren call to setup a nearfield speaker system with highly efficient speakers driven directly by the TT2. 

I suspect it will be many months before I can even try this combo, and the hardest part will be getting evaluation gear.

If you get a chance consider reviewing the Mytek Liberty DAC at $995 as it meets your criteria. I own both the Brooklyn+ and the Liberty and SQ is very close. I think the Liberty is the best bang for the buck on the market. You do lose the display features, phono stage and remote control compared to the Brooklyn+. Also due to space limitations balanced output is by TRS, so you will probably need TRS to XLR cables if you want to run balanced.

Rajiv - just catching up with your preview here and the first installment. Excellent vision and first review.  Very much appreciate your approach and writing style.  Two questions:

- is the Simaudio DAC line one you may consider for reviewing?  They have one or two - beginnng with the 280D - in the price range you are interested in. I use it and find it quite good but have never been able to compare it directly to others.  Also, in talking with them, they will be adding an MQA capability in the next 30-60 days, which I know you are interested. 

- it appears you believe the power cord that came with the Zenith is of sufficiently high quality it does need to be upgraded?

Bruce

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

This is a easy one.  Buy a PS Audio Directstream with the Bridge 2 .  You get full MQA,  Roon end point, native DSD, high res. pCM is converted to DSD.   With trade in on the company website you can get close 3 grand off the list price putting you under $6000 for everything.  

49 minutes ago, 1kw said:

This is a easy one.  Buy a PS Audio Directstream with the Bridge 2 .  You get full MQA,  Roon end point, native DSD, high res. pCM is converted to DSD.   With trade in on the company website you can get close 3 grand off the list price putting you under $6000 for everything.  

Decision has long been made.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas