IGNORED

Upsampling in Pure Music demo?

Look under Music Server and make sure upsampling is checked. Also memory playback.

In Preferences there are buttons that limit upsampling rate. 

I have not used demo. But I think it upsamples, plays from RAM, and allows Less is More.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

• 4 months later...

This is hard to evaluate. I use full version and it upsamples fine. Couple ideas.

1. Make sure dac is not set as output devise in  MAC Audio setup. I set as internal speaker.

2. Check target sampling rate in Audio Set Up. I have used from 44.1 to 192k, no problems.

3. Check upsampling is checked on under the Music Server tab.

Once sorted; turn on 

Memory Playback

Hybrid Memory Playback

Preallocate

HOG Mode

To really hear what it can do sonically, use Less Is More under music server. How to load files in the list is a little confusing. Read the manual, it is now in the software. The memory playback and Less is More make a huge improvement. 

I always heard that Windows machines sound better than a Mac. Less is More may change this.

The last function I use is the 64 bit crossover. Another game changer. 

Rob seems to have gotten busy building hardware. But a new version of Pure Vinyl was released this week. A new Pure Music version usually follows incorporating the improvements built into PV.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

• 2 weeks later...

One update. Upgraded to Mojave and PM still is fine. Upsampling, Less Is More, crossover, and memory play are working without an issue.

On 10/18/2018 at 10:49 PM, Panelhead said:

The last function I use is the 64 bit crossover. Another game changer. 

Tell me more about this.  I've used Pure Vinyl/Music for years but use the crossover in my sub woofers.  I've never tried the PM crossover nor do I know how to do so.

I'm in the process of rebalancing my room, and this might be worth considering.  The room is untreated and has some weird peaks and nulls.  Plus, maybe because of the room, I discovered my mid-range/tweeter has useful response down to 40Hz but the 80Hz crossover on the subs assumes the MR/T falls off and it only affects the subs.  It might be helpful to knock that down.

I'm using a mini and a Fireface UCX DAC in stereo with two lines out, along with REW and FabFilter for frequency adjustment.

It is in preferences. Under multi channel. You can set crossover frequency,  slopes, and gains in the set up. Also does two or three way. 

But it requires a dac with either four channel monitor output or a four channel dac and four channel preamp to control volume. You could use the PM controller for volume. It is a dithered 64 bit volume adjuster.

3 hours ago, Panelhead said:

It is in preferences. Under multi channel. You can set crossover frequency,  slopes, and gains in the set up. Also does two or three way. 

But it requires a dac with either four channel monitor output or a four channel dac and four channel preamp to control volume. You could use the PM controller for volume. It is a dithered 64 bit volume adjuster.

Got it.  Thanks.  I am using a Fireface UCX which has four balanced lines out.  I am only using 1&2 now, but it looks like I could use 1&2 for my subwoofers and 3&4 for my mid/tweeters.  The manual says there is a crossover doc on the web site.  I will have to get that because I don't really understand a lot of this.

With the four line outs you can easily use the crossover and the volume control build into Pure Music. 

Preferenes

Audio Settings

Multichannel

Setup - selects output channels, crossover type, trim level, and polarity

Crossover - set whether 2 way or three way, crossover frequency, overlap, hp and lp filter type, and mono mix selection

I have always used a four channel monitor output dac. But may try the line outs and use the PM volume control. Always set at -9 dB now to work around the “intersample clipping” issues. Plus using 106 dB efficient speakers. Like to get volume control to 12 o’clock and higher for serious listening.

Glad it is working for you. If is another function PM provides.

The big thing I noticed before making any room adjustments was the sound was much cleaner.  I think sending LF signals to the mains probably was muddying things up.  The PM/PV crossover solves that very nicely.

One neat thing was I was able to balance all my speakers.  I didn't try to tweak each speaker but I did get them all operating at the same level using REW and FabFilter.  Then I used a global filter to fine-tune everything.  I was actually able to get the room response at my primary listening position to a 4.5db range vs. a 24db range for the raw room.  I could probably improve that but it would likely be a lot more trouble than it is worth.

I had fiddled with this when I was just running a single stereo pair and couldn't do much better than 7-8db.  Also, there is a room null just above 30Hz that was greatly reduced just by having everything working independently.   I hardly had to adjust it at all!

Frankly, except for the much cleaner sound, I can't really hear any of this.  I grew up with AM radio and my ears kind of fill in whatever is out of kilter so it sounds okay and we're only talking a few db improvement . Nevertheless, it is comforting to know it is working as it should.

Raw vs. Adjusted.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been chasing a “whiteness” in my system. After many fast changes, new amp with input transformers, new horn speakers, software updates, cables, even optical Thunderbolt cable between the dac and computer. Never sure where to start. 

Played with dac power supplies, analog cable, others trying to find issue. 

Then I turned off upsampling in Pure Music. Sound is better. Only tried 44.1/16 from CD and 96/24 from ISO rips. But both are now better than 176.4K and 192K. 

This was not true before. At least with this dac at that time it was better upsampling everything to 192/24. Assumed it only had one clock and was creating a rate for 44.1 and the multiples. Plus chip filter changes. 

Assume it is the higher clarity from the Corning optical cable and not that PM 3.09 is  the issue.

I was blaming the tweeters. Then changing power supplies got rid of it, but reduced clarity of playback. This edge on top is gone with no software upsampling. 

Before upsampling improved dynamics, clarity, and texture. 

• 3 years later...