IGNORED

PC - cheap optimisation?

Just got around to another budget tweak that I was looking forward to for a while.

Bought a Startech USB3.0 PCIe card that uses the Renesas uPD720201 USb controller for about 30 euro

its powered with 12V via SATA connector so this made it easy to power with a linear regulator, It is sharing the 12V transformer that the other 5V SSD LPS is using.

Most expensive tweak so far but still cheap and with insane improvements, more significant than when I upgraded my DAC!!! This just shows how much the Mobo ports can limit performance.

This card uses an XO and the next step is swap out the stock XO for a better quality one.

• 1 month later...

a tip: If you have an asus motherboard you can fully disable all unnecesary hardware in BIOS under 'onboard hardware configuration'

Disabling things in device manager through the OS didnt make much/any difference, they are still detectable and active electrically, I doubt disabling in BIOS shuts them off completely but the difference was quite noticeable.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:39 AM, numlog said:

its powered with 12V via SATA connector so this made it easy to power with a linear regulator, It is sharing the 12V transformer that the other 5V SSD LPS is using.

I use low noise +12V to +5V regulation to power both my internal SSDs . In my case though, I further improve the existing +12V  SMPS by doing this which can  often help to reduce earth loops.

Do you have a photo of what you have done ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

19 hours ago, sandyk said:

I use low noise +12V to +5V regulation to power both my internal SSDs . In my case though, I further improve the existing +12V  SMPS by doing this which can  often help to reduce earth loops.

Do you have a photo of what you have done ?

Im happy to share but it's not a very elegant sight right now.The LPS is using LM350s which will be replaced by cheap TPS7A4700 boards very soon. I just have the 350s connected in a temporary, haphazard fashion until these arrive, Im very curious to see what sort of difference going from 'low noise' LM350 to 'ultra low noise' TPS regulators can make for the SSD and USB card. For the DAC going from LM350 to TPS7a to LT3045 were all a small step forward.

sorry for terrible photo

20180819_214038.jpg

Hi numlog

Just remember that the 850 EVO will need a reasonable sized heatsink like you are currently using. You will need to make sure that the

TPS7A4700 board you buy is able to take a reasonable sized heatsink.

The one in the attached, for example, will be inadequate with the 850 EVO.

You may also find a further increase in HF detail when using these PCBs which usually use very low ESR capacitors.

Regards

Alex

TPS7A4700 ebay PCB.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020