IGNORED

EST Live in London (24/96) - most likely upsampled 48khz album

I just bought the newly released Live in London by the great Esbjörn Svensson Trio.

An otherwise excellent album (and cheap with €5.99 Qobuz Sublime discounted price).

The only thing is, it is not 24/96, but pretty clearly 24/48. DR is good though 10-14. So no reason not to buy, just be aware that the format is misleading.

01-01-E_S_T-Tide_of_Trepidation_Live-SMR.m4a_report.thumb.png.5c9a51f9dca9c7feed1c4749f01cafe7.png

15 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

It‘s not in there (Musicscope uses a different DR measure), the DR values are calculated by Audirvana. 

Thanks!

I'm a relatively new A+ user. How do I see DR values in Audirvana? I've looked through the manual and nothing jumped out at me.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

4 minutes ago, rodrigaj said:

Thanks!

I'm a relatively new A+ user. How do I see DR values in Audirvana? I've looked through the manual and nothing jumped out at me.

It’s a function called calculate replay gain that you can activate in the album info. It’s used if you want to harmonize the loudness but it also fills the DR field of the A+ database which you can show for example in lost mode. 

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

I’d be surprised but don’t know. I’m still waiting to hear back from their customer service. 

Would be great if you could let us know about their answer. The album is really good and I want to buy it, but in the most native resolution. It looks like 24/48 is the right one.

1 hour ago, EuroChamp said:

Would be great if you could let us know about their answer. The album is really good and I want to buy it, but in the most native resolution. It looks like 24/48 is the right one.

They just asked me if I had a screenshot, so I shared it with them (plus the information that competition is selling a different version).

I'm pretty sure you're safe buying the 24/48 from HRA, as you clearly have information up to 24khz, and Musicscope indicated bits being used above 16.

It's a really nice album by the way, I have a review in the making.

48 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

Well, I guess you can buy the current 24/96 and just get some empty bytes.... But I'll keep you posted.

according to my knowledge a change from 48 kHz to 96 kHz is resampling. A change from 16 to 24 bit were indeed some empty bytes.

1 hour ago, EuroChamp said:

according to my knowledge a change from 48 kHz to 96 kHz is resampling. A change from 16 to 24 bit were indeed some empty bytes.

You're correct obviously.

In the meantime, Qobuz admitted that it looks fishy and are reaching out to their supplier, and have offered me a free download in compensation. 

They should rather hurry up fixing this, it is now on their no. 1 of their download charts.

On 5/16/2018 at 3:19 PM, EuroChamp said:

HRA is an option of course. Would prefer Qobuz, because I am a Sublime+ customer.

I will wait ... and for your review ;)

Just published my review here: https://musicophilesblog.com/2018/05/21/esbjorn-svensson-trio-live-in-london-a-review/

Still haven't heard back from Qobuz after they reached out to their supplier (and they are still selling the 24/96).

11 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

Still haven't heard back from Qobuz after they reached out to their supplier (and they are still selling the 24/96).

We would hope Qobuz themselves are checking the files they receive from their suppliers... not leaving it to the end customer to find things look fishy...

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

We would hope Qobuz themselves are checking the files they receive from their suppliers... not leaving it to the end customer to find things look fishy...

yeah, you'd hope so. I guess it's a question of volume, and this has been my first bad apple in quite a while now (I check all of my downloads directly after purchase, and buy 2-3 per month). Other industries use similar mechanisms too (e.g. if you find this cheaper anywhere, we'll match the price....)

HRA is much more diligent on this side, but then again, their catalog is smaller.

9 hours ago, mansr said:

A while back, I bought a 5-CD set of Debussy piano works from Qobuz. Two of them were clearly upsampled. Now it's piano, so there's no high-frequency content to begin with. I only got the hi-res version in the hopes that the 24-bit release would be the least mangled.

Which pianist was this? And did you flag it to Qobuz?

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

Send a message to their customer service. In my case, they reached out to their supplier (and I got a free album for alerting them).

I have that box actually, which ones are the upsampled ones?