IGNORED

Izotope Ozone 8 with Jriver for listening / DSP?

Any comments on adding iZotope Ozone 8 as a DSP processor for a JRiver-based listening environment?

I sometimes use the JRiver DSP EQ and Headphone-crossfeed tools to reduce glare and fatigue when listening to older classic rock and other older Rock and Roll music.

Some headphones really need it with this music.

The Jriver DSP tools work OK at this, but sometimes the bass clarity is compromised, but I accept this drawback.

(I suppose I could just use the Ozone 8 alone for playback and leave Jriver out of the picture for certain ripped CDs or other files. These are .ape files that Jriver creates.)

Reducing glare and fatigue in the upper mids and highs (most often on vocals) is the only thing I use EQ and DSP for.

Any tips or comments are welcome. Thank you.

(I use a Chord DAVE DAC.)

I tried to incorporate Ozone with JRiver a couple of times but could never get it to work. All I could accomplish was harsh static. JRiver indicates the program is compatible with VST plugins but I could not get it to work with Ozone on my PC.

I do use Ozone with Foobar2000 and it works great. You need George Yohng's VST Wrapper component and your good to go. I love the Ozone EQ and the tube option is great way to mellow out harsh recordings.

Ozone is a VST plugin and requires a host program to operate. It was desgined for DAWs but will work in some media players that accept VST plugins. Please note Ozone is a mastering program designed to make changes to an audio file. You should be safe to run it as a VST plugin in a media player but if you run it in a DAW/Wave Editor you can make permanent changes to your audio file if you are not careful. Best to always backup your original audio files. I have used Ozone for years in Foobar with no issues. Just a FYI if your going to be using plugins it is best to stick to FLAC/WAVE or ALAC file formats as these formats have the widest compatability.