IGNORED

BiMB vs Nu' Dac-9 vs Liberty vs ADI-2

I'd appreciate any insight, pros or cons on either of those DAC's I've been considering. I've read many reviews but opinions from owners would be of great help. My personal preference is for a more "musical/warm" DAC. My equipment is: Audirvana /MacMini -> USB DAC? -> Anthem MRX720 -> Thiel CS3.6

In alphabetical order of manufacturer name:

• Mytek Liberty DAC
  • Nuprime DAC-9
  • RME ADI-2
  • Schiit Bifrost Multibit

Most of those DACs are in the range of $600 to $1K USD which falls in my budget. Any other suggestions in that range would be also welcome.

TIA!

• 2 weeks later...

soekris has at least one DAC in your price range.  I have been considering them as well as the ADI-2 DAC, Liberty, and Holo Cyan (slightly more than 1k).  Sorry I can't offer any opinions as I haven't heard any of them!  But I can list out my subjective pros/cons for each DAC listed if interested. 

Actually, you and I are in somewhat the same camp, looking for a new DAC in this price-range. We could use this thread to steer us.  Perhaps others will chime in....

I had NuPrime DAC-9 and recently upgraded to REM ADI-2 DAC.

NuPrime DAC-9 has very good value until ADI-2 DAC appears this year. 

Couldn't compare them side by side, but I felt REM sound more natural and realistic (more details?) 

Unless you need the analog input, otherwise I highly recommend the ADI-2 DAC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 6:04 PM, buonassi said:

soekris has at least one DAC in your price range.  I have been considering them as well as the ADI-2 DAC, Liberty, and Holo Cyan (slightly more than 1k).  Sorry I can't offer any opinions as I haven't heard any of them!  But I can list out my subjective pros/cons for each DAC listed if interested. 

Actually, you and I are in somewhat the same camp, looking for a new DAC in this price-range. We could use this thread to steer us.  Perhaps others will chime in....

Darn, my email notifications were off! Glad to hear someone else is in the same boat, did you finally decide on something?

It seems there are nothing but positive reviews and opinions about the RME, so I may go that direction.

10 hours ago, kaka89 said:

Using ADI-2 DAC everyday and I'm happy.

And loudness control is awesome at night.

Even happier after I eq'ed for room correction.

Thanks for your input, do you mind listing the equipment you use with it?, And where did you buy it? It is not available in the US online store.

You previously said REM have more neutral detailed sound, reading some reviews on the DAC-9 show that it was intentionally designed to be slightly warm and coloured, so that may explain it.

Personally, I prefer “warmer” DACs than ultra detail and more forgiving designs than super clear/neutral ones that show every single weakness in my system! Than maybe the NuPrime DAC-9 is a better fir for my taste?

My setup: Focal 926 + Nuprime STA-9 + RME ADI-2 DAC, using USB as source

I like warmer sound too but it is not the point, the NuPrime DAC-9 lacks some realism that I think it is very important to the listening experience. I don't know whether this realism is a result of "details", "neutral" and "clarity", I just don't want to miss it anymore.

Regarding forgiveness, so far every song I enjoy on NuPrime DAC-9, I enjoy as much with my new RME. 

If you are looking for something between RME and DAC-9, the only experience I had was Lumin D1 / D2. The upsampling feature in the player increases the smoothness and made everything sounded good. The DAC's tone sound somewhat similar to STA-9, I had it AB tested them and sometimes it is hard to tell the difference. But after upsampling enabled it sounds better than DAC-9. BTW Lumin isn't exactly a DAC tho, it is a player.

I sold the Lumin very quickly because I knew I am after a better DAC instead of a player.

I am from Hong Kong and RME just restocked it recently. 

@kaka89, I appreciate your feedback, funny I just listened to the Focal 926 this weekend and I liked them, but not much different than my 30 year old ProAc Studio 2. 

Now I am more convinced but it’s a matter of finding it at a reasonable price. I called the distributor then few stores, one quoted $2600CDN (~2000USD), twice the list price, what a bunch of thieves!

On 6/3/2018 at 6:51 AM, Aboulfad said:

did you finally decide on something?

yeah, I ended up finding a used metrum amethyst for a good price and jumped on it.  I had read about it on another site (not sure if we're allowed to mention other sites) and gained some interest.  Especially after playing around with the NOS setting on my current DAC.  

I decided I really like the NOS sound - no matter how bad it measures for intermodulation distortion.  Just like I prefer minimum phase filters if I'm going to use an oversampling DAC - those screw with phase response measurements.  So I broke all the rules and spent money on a DAC that breaks all the objectivist's checkmarks.  

And you know what?  I don't regret it at all and feel no shame.  It's by far the best thing I've ever heard.  Expectation bias?  New toy syndrome?  Who cares.  It's the best thing I've heard and I'm happy.  Plus, the headphone out on this thing is surprisingly good.  (That, I did not expect).  

@buonassi, congrats on your purchase, what matters is that you are happy with your DAC ? 

Every day I am learning of a new make, this is unreal! A local speciality store only sells NOS DACs from MHDT labs, I have zero experience w that type of DACs and no opinion but I liked what I listened to (Mhdt Pagoda) but slightly outside my budget.