IGNORED

Why does SPDIF basically suck?

All sucks, not only SPDIF! Just keep all data on the DAC. Then, the only data transfer that has to take place is from disk into RAM. This can be optimized by the OS. The DAC does not even need to be connected to the LAN at replay time: once a selection has been made, it can disconnect.   

21 minutes ago, mansr said:

If it sucks, it is because the receiver is, one way or another, slaved to the transmitter clock. Synchronising to the incoming clock is difficult to do without introducing jitter.

True but this would not matter if the receiver had a (admittedly very) large buffer and would start replay only after the data transfer has completed. This would only work for LAN streaming, of course. But it would work!  

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

S/PDIF is synchronous. It sends the data at the rate it is meant to be played back. To buffer an entire album like this would take a very long time. Wagner's Götterdämmerung, for instance, is over 4 hours long.

Right, in this case S/PDIF really sucks! Still, one could transfer the files overnight and play them the day after. Finally, one does not typically embark in a Götterdämmerung impromptu! 

Well implemented Coax SPDIF can sound markedly better than most USB implementations , although it's bandwidth is inadequate for recent DSD implementations, where there is a limited amount of material available, and not in popular music either.

There is no reason why Coax SPDIF's bandwidth couldn't be markedly improved these days if there was a will to do so.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

11 minutes ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

I think that currently, USB 2.0, if competently engineered,  is perfectly capable of delivering audio as good as it gets, without fancy cables or add on gizmos.

A vast amount of feedback in other areas of the forum suggests that this has yet to be achieved.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

If it sucks, it is because the receiver is, one way or another, slaved to the transmitter clock. Synchronising to the incoming clock is difficult to do without introducing jitter.

ah - so that's why people mention SPDIF jitter...

it does solve the galvanic isolation problem of USB

Nord - I started this based on some comments from barrows in another thread (so as not to derail that thread) - 'basically sucks' are his words

17 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Well implemented Coax SPDIF can sound markedly better than most USB implementations , although it's bandwidth is inadequate for recent DSD implementations, where there is a limited amount of material available, and not in popular music either.

There is no reason why Coax SPDIF's bandwidth couldn't be markedly improved these days if there was a will to do so.

Don’t forget the large offering of SACD that can now be ripped and played back on computer players. 

Some of this music is now regretfully out of print.

I like AES3 oddly enough,  as you mention about well implemented coax, last night compared a red book playback to USB on the same DAC A/B via Roon, simple to do, USB had a distinct edge in resolution, not much, but enough to not engage interest.

The same music when played on a CD player wiped both computer playback systems (again), no contest.

The album was Lydian Collective ‘Adventure’.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

41 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Well implemented Coax SPDIF can sound markedly better than most USB implementations...

When compared witch one sounds better, well implemented Coax SPDIF or well implemented USB? I am in the impression that well implemented USB would be better.

EDIT ... when listening PCM music files.

14 minutes ago, sandyk said:

A vast amount of feedback in other areas of the forum suggests that this has yet to be achieved.

Which proves what, exactly? Which DACs were they using?  I feel their, as well as your own, pain in not getting maximum enjoyment from simple asynch USB, with the right DAC, of course.  I do, pure and simple.  Why should I care what you or they think?

Will audiophiles ever agree on anything as a result of sighted listening?  

1 hour ago, Pete-FIN said:

When compared witch one sounds better, well implemented Coax SPDIF or well implemented USB? I am in the impression that well implemented USB would be better.

EDIT ... when listening PCM music files.

The only way to get well implemented USB to outperform well implemented Coax SPDIF , is to remove the degrading influence of the PC's internal +5V SMPS, and replace it with clean low noise power via preferably an external battery derived +5V supply, which has no capacitive effects back to A.C. mains earth, and use a higher quality USB cable of the shortest possible length ,where there is vastly improved isolation between the D+ and D- leads and the incoming power leads.

Well implemented Coax SPDIF assumes the use of the correct 75 ohms BNC plugs and sockets, as well as quality isolation transformers at both ends .

BTW, the best USB cable is NO USB cable, just a modified USB-A male to USB-A  female adaptor .

It is also possible for USB memory sticks powered via a  clean external supply to work with a modified USB adaptor where +5V and screen are not connected through. This helps to remove possible earth loops with desktop PCs as the 0 volts and screen of USB memory sticks are internally connected together, and the PC's internal 0 volts is connected to mains earth.

In this case I use a USB Regen, but I need to insert the USB memory stick into the Regen AFTER the adaptor is plugged in and the PSU is turned on , in order for the USB memory stick to be recognised by Windows 10.

In the attached photo, the bottom cable is replaced by the adaptor.

USB  A to B adaptor.jpg

Regen plus JLH PSU.jpg

2 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Why should I care what you or they think?

Likewise ! :P

2 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

What could possibly be better than total control of the totally buffered d-a process by the DAC master clock?

Improving the Signal Integrity BEFORE it is exported!

GI = GO