IGNORED

Spotify to pull hateful songs and artists

13 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

the 1st Amendment limits what govt. can do (as extended to the states and their sub-govts.)

Spotify is not the govt. (not yet anyway)

I'm not speaking to Spotify specifically. The people that are pushing this ideology now may be office holders in the future.  

16 hours ago, plissken said:

R Kelly is off of spotify because he's a horrible human being in their opinion (never mind the jury said not guilty). It means all the content he's created is also gone regardless of the message it conveys. 

For the record, this is incorrect! Go to Spotify, enter "R. Kelly", and you'll find all of his music.

This is what has happened:

"R. Kelly can no longer be found on playlists curated by streaming music giant Spotify …"

"It “banned” R. Kelly and XXXTentacion from being promoted on any of its playlists, including algorithm-based, mood-based, and genre-based.."

The rationale in Spotify's own words: 

“We don’t censor content because of an artist’s or creator’s behavior, but we want our editorial decisions - what we choose to program - to reflect our values. When an artist or creator does something that is especially harmful or hateful (for example, violence against children and sexual violence), it may affect the ways we work with or support that artist or creator.”

So Spotify is choosing not to promote R. Kelly's music through several of its features for user music selection.

21 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

edit 2: Is Spotify the Government now?

edit 3: The Nazis Hated.  I was advocating against hate.  Spotify is against hate.  Spotify is saying that they will remove Nazi music (if there is such a thing, I assume there is)

edit 4: final edit:  When the Government starts infringing on peoples free speech rights, then you let me know.  Spotify is free to carry on.  No 1st amendment violations or slippery slopes.

Far to many folks these days throw around the word Nazi/Racism..etc as freely as they would use the words Please and Thank You. This is because they are nothing more then Sheep who are reacting like they rest of the herd they follow with pure emotion rather than actual forethought, facts and knowledge of history. 

My god, what would the rest of the "herd" think of me if I actually thought about what issues like censorship/masking/thought policing and erasing of history actually mean in the bigger picture?

Will they De-Friend me on Facebook?

Will they send me nasty emails and texts?

Will they no longer invite me to the latest march, riot or post war statue removal?

What will happen if they find my old gangsta rap collection and the shotgun left to me by my Grandfather?

what is true if 2. "1st Amendment only protects your speech from the Government" is not entirely true. It's a LONG debate, with a host of example and court rulings as to what is and is not ones free speech rights. 

and what does it have to do with MQA

cjf, you are still  invited to the latest fat boys with AR-15s in camo march

3 hours ago, Priaptor said:

Don't want to start a long drawn out left v. right argument here, BUT, let me just put a couple of things into perspective:

1. "you are prohibited from inciting violence" as not being in the purview of the 1st Amendment is not entirely correct.  It has to meet the standard of "imminent lawless action" So the "speaker" has to be held to that standard.  Just inciting violence is not a violation of the 1st Amendment as we have seen with skinheads, Antifa, BLM, etc. We can debate this all day and I would argue that there is a clear and unambiguous bias against Conservative speech and thought in the media, social media and the entertainment industry.  I can go on, but....

2. "1st Amendment only protects your speech from the Government" is not entirely true. It's a LONG debate, with a host of example and court rulings as to what is and is not ones free speech rights. 

3. "other than the protected classes of people. Which I bet you don't like...." is making an ugly inference that so many of us on the right are really tired of.  Why do you guys literally ALWAYS fall back on that argument?  It's offensive and you are making assumptions and comments about people you have no right to make BUT it's your "1st Amendment Right" to do so.

What nearly all of the modern left/right debates are missing is that it is precisely the existence of both, and the constant tension between them that is at the core of freedom and democracy. All of those that want their views to dominate over all others by any means necessary are the existential threat to these freedoms, regardless of which side they happen to be on.

9 minutes ago, diecaster said:

And that side today is predominately the left. Look at what is happening on college campuses and on social media with Kanye West. As far as the left today is concerned, there is only one view and if you don't hold that view you are to be silenced.

If you don't see that this is happening on both sides, then you're not trying.

1 hour ago, cjf said:

Far to many folks these days throw around the word Nazi/Racism..

While there has been a closeted comment about a group being racist, no one here has been called, referred to, hinted at, being equated to a Nazi.

What I was pointing out is that the Nazi party was a minority party at one point who thought their way was the only way, wanted to suppress other groups, and amazingly made it into office. That there are people here that don't remember this chills to the bone. My grandmother was English and we heard all the stories including where she lived being reduced to rubble. 

40 minutes ago, diecaster said:

And that side today is predominately the left. Look at what is happening on college campuses and on social media with Kanye West. As far as the left today is concerned, there is only one view and if you don't hold that view you are to be silenced.

Absolutely.  Tolerance only goes one way today.

3 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

If you don't see that this is happening on both sides, then you're not trying.

You must be on the left....

The people on the right are going to disagree with liberal views and will not be shy telling you so. The difference is that the right is not trying to silence those on the left. 

4 hours ago, cjf said:

Far to many folks these days throw around the word Nazi/Racism..etc as freely as they would use the words Please and Thank You. This is because they are nothing more then Sheep who are reacting like they rest of the herd they follow with pure emotion rather than actual forethought, facts and knowledge of history. 

My god, what would the rest of the "herd" think of me if I actually thought about what issues like censorship/masking/thought policing and erasing of history actually mean in the bigger picture?

Will they De-Friend me on Facebook?

Will they send me nasty emails and texts?

Will they no longer invite me to the latest march, riot or post war statue removal?

What will happen if they find my old gangsta rap collection and the shotgun left to me by my Grandfather?

except, I called no one a Nazi.  The rest of your screed is just straight up ridiculous.

No electron left behind.

7 hours ago, Priaptor said:

Don't want to start a long drawn out left v. right argument here, BUT, let me just put a couple of things into perspective:

1. "you are prohibited from inciting violence" as not being in the purview of the 1st Amendment is not entirely correct.  It has to meet the standard of "imminent lawless action" So the "speaker" has to be held to that standard.  Just inciting violence is not a violation of the 1st Amendment as we have seen with skinheads, Antifa, BLM, etc. We can debate this all day and I would argue that there is a clear and unambiguous bias against Conservative speech and thought in the media, social media and the entertainment industry.  I can go on, but....

2. "1st Amendment only protects your speech from the Government" is not entirely true. It's a LONG debate, with a host of example and court rulings as to what is and is not ones free speech rights. 

3. "other than the protected classes of people. Which I bet you don't like...." is making an ugly inference that so many of us on the right are really tired of.  Why do you guys literally ALWAYS fall back on that argument?  It's offensive and you are making assumptions and comments about people you have no right to make BUT it's your "1st Amendment Right" to do so.

Well, if you dont like inference in #3, I suggest you do something about your party and/or affiliation with it.

No electron left behind.

21 minutes ago, diecaster said:

The people on the right are going to disagree with liberal views and will not be shy telling you so. The difference is that the right is not trying to silence those on the left. 

Absolute bullshit.

No electron left behind.

44 minutes ago, diecaster said:

It is a failure of imagination to think that everyone fits neatly into two boxes. 

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Well, if you dont like inference in #3, I suggest you do something about your party and/or affiliation with it.

It’s not “my party” but your pathetic bias and absolute despicable preconceived notion of what a Conservative represents. You should b ashamed of yourself for making these generalizations.