IGNORED

Article: Introducing the Wilson Audio TuneTot

17 hours ago, loop7 said:

I'm curious what preamp and amplifier combinations the wealthy consumers will use with the Tots? That is if used for desktop speakers. Maybe a mini D'Agostino setup?

There’s a ton of options for sure and you don’t even have to go to full on mega buck.

On 5/11/2018 at 7:28 PM, Deyorew said:

So is this just Wilson fanboy stuff going on here?

Not sure I follow your comment. If there isn't something radically new, based on your criteria, then it should be classified as fanboy stuff?

There are more happy Wilson Audio customers than most high end brands on earth. It may not be for you, but it's for a lot of other people. Classifying this a fanboy stuff is a little strange to me and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

I understand if people think it's expensive or don't like the sound. No worries or arguments from me. But, the other comments are a bit strange to me. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Not sure I follow your comment. If there isn't something radically new, based on your criteria, then it should be classified as fanboy stuff?

There are more happy Wilson Audio customers than most high end brands on earth. It may not be for you, but it's for a lot of other people. Classifying this a fanboy stuff is a little strange to me and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

I understand if people think it's expensive or don't like the sound. No worries or arguments from me. But, the other comments are a bit strange to me. 

I agree. To me they are just overpriced. I prefer the B&W (not supposed to call them that) D3 models compared to any Wilson's I have heard (I have heard them on the same system). Also, the Wilson's are just ugly.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If I every get a pair, I'm going to try my McIntosh MC275 with them. This amp doesn't work on my TAD CR1s, but it may drive the TuneTot at decent volume levels sitting near field. 

From my perch I was hoping these things were going to be a real “monitor” with a stand option and not some peculiar speaker needing a close rear wall “bookshelf/computer table” solution.

Wilson broke their cherry in the monitor market and was one of my favorites years ago, that IMHO, they have never recreated. This would have, IMHO, been one of those products but instead they chose to make some limited 13k solution for something few of us want or can afford. 

This is could of been a rebirth of the “WATT” but instead, again IMHO, nothing but a niche product that has almost nothing to do with their origins. 

10 hours ago, Danny Kaey said:

Completely different application and use case... 

The W5se can also be used as a desktop speaker??

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

On 5/11/2018 at 7:28 PM, Deyorew said:

The photos were fun, but I enjoyed picking out music in them rather than actually looking at the speakers, which honestly is what it felt like the intent was....to showcase a messy listening room as opposed to the speakers under discussion.

Curious what you picked up on... also, the living room really isn't messy per se.  I just have a ton of records laying around.  You want messy, look at Atkinson, Fremer et all. ?

On 5/10/2018 at 11:57 PM, matthias said:

IMO, these speakers are ugly like nearly all Wilson speakers and vastly overpriced. The Sabrina is a beauty in comparison.

This article is bland advertising.

Matt

Thanks Matt - speakers, due to their nature, are very personable choices - not everyone will like everyone else's choices.  Fortunately, there ought to be a speaker for everyone in today's market place.

As to the article being bland advertising... it's a product announcement labeled "Introducing the Wilson Audio TuneTot".  Not sure it would have made sense to talk about 5 other speaker lines in the context of this introductory write up about a very specific speaker.

1 hour ago, Danny Kaey said:

Thanks Matt - speakers, due to their nature, are very personable choices - not everyone will like everyone else's choices.  Fortunately, there ought to be a speaker for everyone in today's market place.

As to the article being bland advertising... it's a product announcement labeled "Introducing the Wilson Audio TuneTot".  Not sure it would have made sense to talk about 5 other speaker lines in the context of this introductory write up about a very specific speaker.

Thanks Danny, 

the question is, why does this speaker get this special treatment with TWO articles on the front page:

First "Announcing the  Wilson Audio TT", then "Introducing the Wilson Audio TT".

Maybe I missed the disclosure of financial interests.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Sorry fanboy may have been the wrong term if it’s derogatory. I’m into certain brands as well. It’s just the article was written like there IS something radical about these. Like built in amps accepts streaming from a high end known company. But it’s clear these are entry level Wilson’s that are being pitched as “just throw them on a desk”. Sorry Matt I didn’t mean to disrespect anyone here I honestly thought I was missing something with this new speaker.

Samsung 2TB SSD external drive > Oppo 205 USB in > McIntosh C45 > Proceed AMP5 > Mirage HDT Speakers > Velodyne HGS15 Sub // Nordost Blue Heaven Cables, PS Audio Quintet, OWC 2TB Mercury Elite Pro Firewire

6 hours ago, matthias said:

Thanks Danny, 

the question is, why does this speaker get this special treatment with TWO articles on the front page:

First "Announcing the  Wilson Audio TT", then "Introducing the Wilson Audio TT".

Maybe I missed the disclosure of financial interests.

Matt

Once in a while we get to have fun with brands and products that many people like. Wilson elected to work with a very small number of press outlets to provide early samples for evaluation. 

The initial announcement that something cool is coming was just a teaser. Those that like what Wilson does thought it was cool and a little exciting. In a world of depressing daily news, it’s kind of fun to build up anticipation about something in this wonderful hobby of ours that brings us so much joy. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Insanity. I have a difficult time explaining to some why my Leica M10 body cost $6995 despite the fact that it’s the ONLY full frame 35mm rangefinder on the market, uses any Leica lens made in the last fifty years, and has loads of sophisticated tech inside and a significant quality build that should last a lifetime. Now how about justifiying a pair of desktop speakers that cost almost twice as much as a top of the line digital camera? Especially when there’s an abundance of choices at much much lesser price points on the market. Forget about it... 

That said, go for it if you can’t live without. It’s your wallet, my amusement. I’m sure they’ll sound great, esp with the $2k desk stands! 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

How does a pair of unpowered bookshelf speakers (granted, expensive bookshelf speakers) qualify as a -new- 'complex network or interconnected system'?  I'd have a hard time considering a typical pair of speakers, amplifier and pre-amp an 'ecosystem' except in the most simple and broad sense of the word... maybe.  Do these speakers reintermediate your one-to-one relationship with music by changing the high-end audio paradigm?

I am going to stick with TaterTots. Maybe with some ketchup.

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

• 2 weeks later...

Close to $10,000 for this (passive) pair of speakers about the size of shoeboxes, plus added expenses (i.e.: some $3,000) for all the trimmings, not even including amps? Well, indeed, to each their own (sarcasm abound)..

I'll counter with advertising for British manufacturer ATC instead: How about a pair of ATC SCM20ASL Pro fully active(!) monitors, for some $6,000/pair? Being that they are active they're at least and effectively half the price of the Wilson's, and sonically an easy (albeit likely a different) equal.

https://www.whathifi.com/atc/scm20asl-pro/review   

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2018 at 9:32 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I've always wanted a really high end pair of speakers to use for 10 hours per day. Even though my TAD CR1s are right behind me in my office, I still tend to want sound coming from in front of me.

Boenicke W5SE. Awesome desktop speaker. 

Heard the tunetot for 15 minutes this weekend with an $8000 Naim Nova integrated. Looks cool as a system and sounded decent, but I’ll take my little W5SE’s with the Job INT at less than half the cost.  

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

• 3 years later...
On 6/17/2018 at 2:38 PM, MarkS said:

Boenicke W5SE. Awesome desktop speaker. 

Heard the tunetot for 15 minutes this weekend with an $8000 Naim Nova integrated. Looks cool as a system and sounded decent, but I’ll take my little W5SE’s with the Job INT at less than half the cost.  

I heard the TT with NAIM as well and if I stopped there I would NEVER have bought them. I took a chance and brought my amp (Sugden IA4) to my dealer and what a difference. Even the dealer was shocked. 

It's a lesson in the fact that Wilson is literally a reverse microphone and reveals whatever is behind it. You need to choose your gear wisely and listen to amps and dacs before settling on Wilsons. But once you get it right boy do they reward you. Best monitor speakers I've ever heard in my audiophile life, which is about 25 years. 

Happy Listening. 

Amp=Sugden IA4

Source=MSB Discrete DAC

Speakers=SF Heritage/Amator

Sub=Rel T5i

Antipodes K50

ROFL...at myself.  I had forgotten this thread of 4 years ago until drawn by skids post a few minutes ago.  In 2018 I was wondering who would drop $10K+ on these when there are so many fine alternatives for less....but...  I've had my TuneTots on stands for a couple of months now.  They are wonderful and worth every penny as stand mounts in a main system.  I think Wilson did themselves a bit of a disservice launching these as desktops, but as someone who does not have WAF for SabrinaX's I am deeply grateful they launched them.